Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is anyone else out there like this?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:17 PM
  • 14 Replies

Okay, so I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or experienceing this as well as me.

With my older two kids I EBF. However, since I was told that breastfeeding while pregnant would cause me to miscarry I only nursed my daughter for about 7 months (she was 5 months old when I discovered I was pregnant, but it took 2 months to switch her to formula). With my son I nursed him until he was about 13 months old (even though the doctors wanted me to wean him completely when he was a year old I couldn't do it cold turkey and had to take it slow). So anyway, with those two I knew I was prepared when I began nursing my second daughter.

Yeah, right. First off neither one of my older kids had problems with spit up until I took them OFF breastmilk, this one has had problems since I took her home from the hospital.

And my main concern is, with the older two I never felt like I was about to starve, with this one I feel like I need to eat constantly. I'll eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast, and then about an hour and a half later I'm needing to eat again. Same for every other meal in the day. Yet I'm still loosing weight. In the first week I had lost 11 of the 28 pounds I gained while pregnant. Six weeks later I had lost ALL of the pregnancy weight, and am continuing to loose weight.

I'm hoping that someone else has or is experiencing this because if it's just me then I'm scared my thyroid levels are going up and I'm heading for a thyroid storm.

~~~~Mom to Sophia Abaegeail age 4~~~Matthew Gregory age 3~~~Georgia Eirianna age 1 month~~~~~Step-mom to Kayla Michelle age 8~~~AJ age 7~~~~Married to my husband for the past 4 years~~~~~~~

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wildsissy
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:18 PM

BUMP!

mommyofwilliam
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:19 PM
i am not losing weight still but lost all 15 pounds gained within the first two weeks. but i am constantly hungry and have to eat!! and dd has bad reflux!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daynaof3
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Have your thyroid checked. It sounds like your thyroid might be in overdrive. If it's high(hyperthyroidism) then you can have these symptoms and you tend to make much more milk than your baby is needing and that can cause issues for baby like these: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

Thyroid issues after delivery aren't uncommon.

abelsmama07
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:22 PM

i only gained 8 lbs with my 7month old.  i lost all of that, plus 30 extra pounds in the first two months.  i still am hungry all the time. :)

tyrelsmom
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:32 PM
I've got that every time. I need to eat like a pig, drink like a fish, and I lose the pregnancy weight in the first two months. I started out also pumping for my older children, but I had to stop, because I was losing waaaay too much weight (I was already underweight).
momnstepmom
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:45 PM

Quoting Daynaof3:

Have your thyroid checked. It sounds like your thyroid might be in overdrive. If it's high(hyperthyroidism) then you can have these symptoms and you tend to make much more milk than your baby is needing and that can cause issues for baby like these: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

I've had tyroid issues since I was 10, but they weren't treated until I went through a thyroid storm at the age of 17. Being untreated for so many years messed not only my body but my personality and way of thinking. I heard that thyroid problems dry milk up, not make more. I had Graves disease, but have recently been diagnosed with Hashimoto's. Graves disease is where the thyroid stays high, Hashimoto's is where the thyroid can be high, but suddenly drop at any given moment, making it more dangerous than Graves since the likelihood of a thyroid storm is greater.

Daynaof3
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Quoting momnstepmom:

Quoting Daynaof3:

I've had tyroid issues since I was 10, but they weren't treated until I went through a thyroid storm at the age of 17. Being untreated for so many years messed not only my body but my personality and way of thinking. I heard that thyroid problems dry milk up, not make more. I had Graves disease, but have recently been diagnosed with Hashimoto's. Graves disease is where the thyroid stays high, Hashimoto's is where the thyroid can be high, but suddenly drop at any given moment, making it more dangerous than Graves since the likelihood of a thyroid storm is greater.

Given your symptoms I would say right now it's definitely high! Hypothyroidism can cause issue with low supply and adversely hyperthyroidism can cause you to make more than enough. Are they closely monitoring you?

ryansmommy07
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:51 PM

I couldnt bf my first but I just had my second two weeks ago and in that time Ive lost 35lbs I oly gained 15 while pregnant and I really worried about my thyroid too because my mother and grandmother have hypo and my aunt and uncle have hyper thyroid. I cant stop eatting either  like breakfast I had 4 eggs 4 corn tortillas lunch 2 slices of pizza and dinner a huge bowl of egg drop soup.

catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:53 PM

This is how I was when I gave birth to my last baby, BUT.... I was nursing a newborn and two toddlers! You might want to have your physician run a physical and bloodwork just to make sure you are healthy, because this could be 'normal' or it could be something else. Check it out!

Quoting momnstepmom:

And my main concern is, with the older two I never felt like I was about to starve, with this one I feel like I need to eat constantly. I'll eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast, and then about an hour and a half later I'm needing to eat again. Same for every other meal in the day. Yet I'm still loosing weight. In the first week I had lost 11 of the 28 pounds I gained while pregnant. Six weeks later I had lost ALL of the pregnancy weight, and am continuing to loose weight. I'm hoping that someone else has or is experiencing this because if it's just me then I'm scared my thyroid levels are going up and I'm heading for a thyroid storm.

breastfeeding.jpg breastfeeding image by evemarcelo 

jconney80
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2010 at 1:30 AM

Quoting momnstepmom:

Okay, so I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or experienceing this as well as me.

With my older two kids I EBF. However, since I was told that breastfeeding while pregnant would cause me to miscarry I only nursed my daughter for about 7 months (she was 5 months old when I discovered I was pregnant, but it took 2 months to switch her to formula). With my son I nursed him until he was about 13 months old (even though the doctors wanted me to wean him completely when he was a year old I couldn't do it cold turkey and had to take it slow). So anyway, with those two I knew I was prepared when I began nursing my second daughter.

Yeah, right. First off neither one of my older kids had problems with spit up until I took them OFF breastmilk, this one has had problems since I took her home from the hospital.

And my main concern is, with the older two I never felt like I was about to starve, with this one I feel like I need to eat constantly. I'll eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast, and then about an hour and a half later I'm needing to eat again.

When I eat only a bowl of cereal for breakfast I am hungry an hour & a half later. A bowl of cereal for breakfast is not enough for a nursing mommy:) I do not have an oversupply. You should be eating a healthy breakfast & a morning snack halfway between your breakfast & lunch. You should also be eating another snack between lunch & dinner & between dinner & bedtime. Have you tried eating more whole grain carbs for breakfast along with some fruit or yogurt?

How many calories are you eating a day? I have a book that helps you figure it out by how tall you are. I really suggest you get it from the library....it is called "Eat Well & lose Weight While BFing." I know you're not TRYING to lose weight but this book tells you how many calories you should be eating & how to eat healthy to maintain your milk supply. It is wonderful! It is not just about losing weight....its about being healthy while bfing.

Same for every other meal in the day. Yet I'm still loosing weight.

In the first week I had lost 11 of the 28 pounds I gained while pregnant.

Losing 11 lbs in the first week doesn't seem too bad considering you are no longer carrying the baby around along with all of the water you were holding, placenta, extra blood etc. I lost that much immediately after having my son & losing the extra water I was holding.

Six weeks later I had lost ALL of the pregnancy weight, and am continuing to loose weight.

Were you overweight before you got pregnant? If you eat the right amount of calories your body will use the fat it stored up during pregnancy & it will keep going. You need to make sure you are eating enough calories to prevent it from making you lose weight that you don't need to lose. If you were overweight when you got pregnant then you should be good unless you are getting to the point where you are below your healthy weight.

My friend lost all of her weight by 6 wks PP but she was working out along with BFing. I think some people burn more calories BFing than others but I could be wrong. You may just need to eat extra healthy calories. You could be eating on the low spectrum 2200 all of the way up to 3000 calories a day depending on how active you are and how tall you (what your healthy weight should be). I would definitely go to a doctor to see if it's a thyroid problem but it may not be. I find that when I'm not eating enough calories during the day (only eating a bowl of cereal for breakfast & not eating enough lunch I am STARVING later in the day. That's probably why I haven't lose enough weight because I don't eat enough during the day & eat a lot at night lol. I think it's pretty normal to be hungry a lot while BFing. I am hungry all of the time & I have hardly lost any baby weight.

I'm hoping that someone else has or is experiencing this because if it's just me then I'm scared my thyroid levels are going up and I'm heading for a thyroid storm.

Have you had thyroid problems before? I hope everything is okay!  Good luck :)

Had a baby in Feb 2010?? Come join us! >>
February 2010 Babies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)