Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Facewash?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:52 PM
  • 4 Replies

I've been struggling to keep my skin clear for the last few years for some reason even, and nothing I've tried is working.  When I was a teen I went to the dermatologist and it helped so I decided to go back because dealing with this as an adult is just so frustrating.  Well the doctor told me they wouldn't give me anything because I am breastfeeding and topical face creams or lotions "may be dangerous".  Anything they would have given me would have salicyclic acid or benzoyl peroxide it, which is the same type of stuff that I have been using (proactiv, skin ID etc).  So now I am worried that I have been tainting my milk!!!  When I was preggo I asked my doctor if I could still use that type of stuff and he said it was fine, but now I'm hearing it's not ok while BF'ing.....so now I'm confused!!!

Does anyone know anything about this?  What type of facewash are you using while breastfeeding?

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
shaunaleigh418
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:55 PM

BUMP!

Chelles0202
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 11:15 AM

I personally have found (after much trial and error) that I cant use anything with those or any chemicals in it. I have very oily skin and hair, but also am very sensitive. I use this stuff from wal mart called Basis. It is a bar soap that is hypoallergenic (and cheap). I also like Burts Bees face bars. So far those are all I can use. I've tried proactive as well. And even almay breaks me out and they are suppose to be hypoallergenic to. Chances are, if you have any allergies that cause you to break out in rash or hives, the chemicals in face cleaners could also be an allergen.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jul. 26, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Those thing are safe while breastfeeding.  I used to use them too, but I haven't in 2 1/2 years.  My skin is the clearest is has ever been.  I just wash my face in the shower with whatever I have and then put some of my milk on it after drying.  It works better than any medication that I have ever used.

Hottubgodess
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 1:00 PM

You can use any topical.  Just wash your hands afterwards. 

Medications and Mother's Milk - Group Owner  

Are you tired of BAD Breastfeeding information?  Go to www.llli.org and search the resources for REAL CORRECT info. 

I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam ...... Thank you Popeye!   BEHOLD!  THE POWER OF BREASTMILK!!!   Proud momma of two self weaning, extended breastfed preemie boys!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)