Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nursing on one side and pumping on the other?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:52 PM
  • 9 Replies

I go back to work on August 5th (teacher), and I am already dreading using the pump a million times a day! I hate it, but I am not giving up on it yet. Last school year I pumped three times at work and twice at home to keep up with my baby's needs. It was sooooo draining. I keep reading about how some of you ladies are able to pump on one side while nursing on the other. Does that really work out for you? I mean, I can't imagine that my almost 10 month old would allow me to do that or put up with the noise of the pump. My baby always feeds from both sides as well, so should I even attempt this? If you have been able to do this, would you give me some tips please? I am trying to make it to one year, and then I can give him cow's milk while I am at work and nurse him while I am at home. He has never had any formula either, and I am pretty proud of that! Thanks!

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LOswald0314
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Bump!

I'm wondering the same thing! I can't imagine DS letting me pump while he's eating.....but it would be nice to save the milk that leaks from the unoccupied boob!

MusicMommy827
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 12:30 AM

I, too, am a teacher and dreading going back to work.  We go back the 16th.

I had my baby in April and I haven't been back to school yet, but with my son I pumped at work the whole year during my planning time, lunch time and before school.  I pumped both sides before school and before bed plus the two times at school

With this baby she will only nurse on my left side!  So, I've been pumping the right ALL summer!  I get about 25-30 ounces out of that breast a day so I'm not worried about having enough milk because I'll also have my left breast milk from my times pumping at work.  I don't know if that helps at all.  If you need a teacher-breast feeding buddy let me know!  We could support each other this year!

Charli627
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 12:39 AM
With my DS, I pumped from one breast while he fed from the other. The only advice I can give is to make sure that the baby will get full from one side so that you can pump from the other. My DS only need one side to fed from.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Jake08
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 12:40 AM

I'll be a teacher bf buddy with you!  My daughter was born May 4, and I go back August 18.  I'm a college professor, so I don't work a full 8 hour day.  I plan to pump once, maybe twice and have a big stockpile already.  I hope to make it to a year!

Quoting MusicMommy827:

I had my baby in April and I haven't been back to school yet, but with my son I pumped at work the whole year during my planning time, lunch time and before school.  I pumped both sides before school and before bed plus the two times at school

With this baby she will only nurse on my left side!  So, I've been pumping the right ALL summer!  I get about 25-30 ounces out of that breast a day so I'm not worried about having enough milk because I'll also have my left breast milk from my times pumping at work.  I don't know if that helps at all.  If you need a teacher-breast feeding buddy let me know!  We could support each other this year!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
EMBER127
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 12:41 AM

I did this for a long time and it really worked for me. It keeps your supply high because it is like nursing twins, and I was able to pump more in one session because of it. I say it would be worth the try but my son got to the point where I couldn't do that anymore because he was too curious and annoyed lol  had to use a hand held or wait to pump.

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 1:06 AM

I do this 1x a day usually and it works well. Otherwise I pump when I'm working, on my way to work and on my way home (with a hands free band and cover) and once before I go to bed. DD is 5 months (in a few days anyway) and is just now starting to get distracted so I don't know how much longer she will put up with the pumping while nursing.

MusicMommy827
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 1:12 AM

Yeah!  Thanks!

You know, I don't have a supply saved up but I'm not worried about it.  My friend was saying her lactation consultant said to have 100 bags frozen and ready to go.  I have too much milk, it never gets used.  Right now I'm throwing away the milk I pump from my right side each day, which is about 25-30 ounces a day. (I'm looking into donating but I want to see what my production is like when I go back to school.  With my son I was throwing out 3 or 4 5 ounce bottles a day- I nursed him for 2+ years- until I got pregnant with this baby and then he self-weaned.  I'm really hoping I can donate, but I'm on thyroid medication and I don't know if that's one of the things they test for that would prohibit me from donating.)

Quoting Mom2Jake08:

I'll be a teacher bf buddy with you!  My daughter was born May 4, and I go back August 18.  I'm a college professor, so I don't work a full 8 hour day.  I plan to pump once, maybe twice and have a big stockpile already.  I hope to make it to a year!

Quoting MusicMommy827:

kyriesmommy13
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 1:34 AM

check the milkshare group. they may know!

Quoting MusicMommy827:

Yeah!  Thanks!

You know, I don't have a supply saved up but I'm not worried about it.  My friend was saying her lactation consultant said to have 100 bags frozen and ready to go.  I have too much milk, it never gets used.  Right now I'm throwing away the milk I pump from my right side each day, which is about 25-30 ounces a day. (I'm looking into donating but I want to see what my production is like when I go back to school.  With my son I was throwing out 3 or 4 5 ounce bottles a day- I nursed him for 2+ years- until I got pregnant with this baby and then he self-weaned.  I'm really hoping I can donate, but I'm on thyroid medication and I don't know if that's one of the things they test for that would prohibit me from donating.)

Quoting Mom2Jake08:

Quoting MusicMommy827:

gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 26, 2010 at 1:38 PM

When you nurse and pump simultaneously, it boosts supply so baby doesn't need both sides.

Hold baby either in football hold or sitting on your lap facing one breast, latch. Pump on the other. It's helpful to give baby something to keep his hands busy at the same time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)