Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help with an "aggressive" nurser..

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:31 AM
  • 5 Replies

my 9 month old is very rough when he breastfeeds. he pinches my arm/boob, pulls hair, smashes my boob with his hands, sometimes scratches a little. sometimes he is very calm and sweet like when he is tired but the middle of the day nursing are getting out of hand. i have tried nursing necklaces, giving him a toy or blanket to hold... mostly i hold his hands but he doesn't let me for long. i tell him no pinching/whatever he is doing which doesn't work. i trim his nails super short so he doesn't draw blood lol now i have to treat it that same as biting, which he has done a couple times but if i take him off and set him on the floor for a minute, tell him "i can't nurse you when you bite." he stops. he has always been like this but i thought it was normal until another lady said "wow, he is so aggressive like a shark! how do you handle that?" she said her babe is very calm and sweet during feedings so i feel like crap lol he is fed on demand and he likes to nurse A LOT.. still at least 10 times a day. i will  keep going til at least 2 years but my poor boobs are being abused so if there's anyway i might be able to make it a tad bit more comfortable.. that would be awesome.

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Hannah14
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:38 AM

My DS is only 3 months but I think I am going to have the same problem. He already digs his face into my breast, pushes his hands into them, scratches them, and pulls my hair. I would like some suggestions as well! Hope you get the answer you are looking for!

CafeMom Tickers
Mom71307
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:10 AM

Look on kellymom about nursing manners.  I think you are just supposed to put him down when he is doing those things.  Just tell him why you are stopping and put him down.  It works to get them to stop biting and should work for this too.

ilovemylovey
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:15 AM
My almost 5montth old does this too.....it hurts! I woke up the other morning to him scratching my boobs over and over and I had tons of tiny cuts allover. He grabs big chunks of skin on my boob and will just squeeze. I don't think he's even aware that he does it yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kristinas8
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Bump. I've got the same problem.frown mini

shauna1227
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:58 AM
Me too!! Mine (5 months) will push them & hiit them. Right now the only thing that works is holding his hand & sometimes I rub his arm to calm him down.

Quoting kristinas8:

Bump. I've got the same problem.frown mini

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)