• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm exausted... night nursing, yes we cosleep

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:15 AM
  • 24 Replies

Nikki still nurses in the day, she seems to not be satisfied much, so my first thinking is that she needs solids. But, she also has started nursing VERY frequently at night. I'd say I latch her on at least 8-10 times in the middle of the night. She's normally a one side at a time nurser, but she wants both sides, which is why I think it's that many times. Maybe more like 4 times, but the both sides makes it seem like more.

I know she's getting a lot at night, I hear her gulping. What can I do to reverse my supply to day time and not so much at night? I can't imagine the zombie I'd be if we didn't co-sleep!

Edit: She is 7 months old, I put her ticker on here, but I guess noone can see it. lol

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Karen01060
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:20 AM

How old is she?

lifetimelove
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:22 AM
How old? Sounds like growth spurt and/or teething. Solids won't help. It WILL get better - they all go through phases like this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kristinas8
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:23 AM

She's 7 months old.

BrooklynnsMomy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:24 AM

i agree how old is she? colton is 6 months old and he pretty much sleeps latched on, does it bother you to go to sleep while she is nursing or do yous ti up to nurse her? i just recently started nrusing laying down adn its been a life saver since i have a 3 year old as well i def need sleep and feeding him laying down has been the greatest

kyriesmommy13
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:25 AM
i don't know what you can do since dd did the same thing. since i'm a sahm, i just dealt with it. i figured she knows what she needs and i didn't want to mess with her nursings. how old is she? could it be a growth spurt? if so, you may just have to ride it out. teething? try to make her more comfortable during the day - teethers, teething tablets, and tylenol if necessary. could she be getting distracted during the day? take her to a dark, quiet place. decrease stimuli. if you normally sit to nurse, try laying or standing. if you normally lay down, try standing or sitting, etc..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifetimelove
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:28 AM
Solids won't help her sleep better, but she's old enough for them if u want. I'd skip cereal because it can constipate and that will just increase your issues. You could try a seperate sleep space for her, I had to do that when my son was the same age because he was waking so much, and he wengt down to waking once or twice. It may or may not help depending on her reasons for waking. My guess that the culpritg is probably teething.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kyriesmommy13
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:28 AM
btw, dd did the same thing - went from being satisfied with one breast, to nursing off two. does she show signs of solids readiness?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommycavey
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:29 AM

my daughter is 7 months old too, and she has been nursing very frequently during the night as well!! I just recently started co-sleeping for this reason(atlleast half the night anyway. She eats 2 jars of baby food too, and still nurses often! I'm hopeing it's just a growth spurt as pp said. 

mommycavey
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:33 AM

ditto this, baby cereal constipated my lo horribly!

Quoting lifetimelove:

Solids won't help her sleep better, but she's old enough for them if u want. I'd skip cereal because it can constipate and that will just increase your issues. You could try a seperate sleep space for her, I had to do that when my son was the same age because he was waking so much, and he wengt down to waking once or twice. It may or may not help depending on her reasons for waking. My guess that the culpritg is probably teething.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Karen01060
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:34 AM

You could try solids.  They don't usually make babies sleep better, but if she is taking so much of her nutrition at night, it could (maybe) help to shift it to during the day -- nursing more during the day, adding solids if she seems ready.  My dd started with avocado blended with water or breastmilk.  DS doesn't like pureed food and didn't really start eating solids till he could pick them up. The tips about preventing her from getting distracted sound right to me -- nursing in a quiet, dark, boring room if possible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)