• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP!! my 5 week old has a cold!!

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:23 AM
  • 7 Replies

ughhh I woke up with a sore throat yesterday morning and thought/hoped it was my allergies... I took some allergy stuff and some echinacea just in case.. of course last night my baby already had the beginning of a cold.. she had a ton of bogars.  This morning she is super phlegmy.. sigh.. I wanted to put some Vicks Baby Rub on her but the container says only 3 months and older!! sighhhhh she is having a hard time nursing so I'm giong to have to pump and dropper feed her.   Any other ideas of things I can do for her?   I know I can put her in a steam room but I don't want to leave the shower going for a long time and not sure how safe it would be to put her over a bowl of hot water... ???

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
BrooklynnsMomy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:27 AM

to clear her nose, squirt some breastmilk into her nose...and keep nursing her as much as u can its the best thing to help get over this cold..as for vicks baby rub...put it on the bottom of her feet and her back and put one  afooted sleeper so she cant touch it...thats what i had to do with brooklynn when she was only 7 weeks old when she got her first major cold good luck

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

CDing, EBFing, NIP, NO COVER, BWing, APing, Non-CIO, Co-Sleeping, Vaccinating, Circumsizing, Local Grown Food Eating, Christian, Disabled Veterans wife to Robert and Mommy to Brooklynn and Colton

wildsissy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Quoting BrooklynnsMomy:

to clear her nose, squirt some breastmilk into her nose...and keep nursing her as much as u can its the best thing to help get over this cold..as for vicks baby rub...put it on the bottom of her feet and her back and put one  afooted sleeper so she cant touch it...thats what i had to do with brooklynn when she was only 7 weeks old when she got her first major cold good luck

ok so Vicks is ok to put on their skin before 3 months?  I didn't know why the container said not to put it on her. 

BrooklynnsMomy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:31 AM

yup i just wouldnt put a whole lot on but definetly okay hope she gets better soon

Quoting wildsissy:

Quoting BrooklynnsMomy:

ok so Vicks is ok to put on their skin before 3 months?  I didn't know why the container said not to put it on her. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

CDing, EBFing, NIP, NO COVER, BWing, APing, Non-CIO, Co-Sleeping, Vaccinating, Circumsizing, Local Grown Food Eating, Christian, Disabled Veterans wife to Robert and Mommy to Brooklynn and Colton

Karen01060
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Nose Frida!

http://www.nosefrida.com/

trebelcleff
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:55 AM

suck out as many boogies as possible, but keep on offering to BF... our little one currently has a cold, and a lot of times he snuffs and unlatches for several minutes before he snorts in all the snot I couldn't get out, and then he's fine nursing... it's hard for him to breathe at first but the more I offer (and the more he wants it) the sooner he sucks in and can breathe enough for a nursing session.  And YES to Vicks on the feet... I think it's just because they don't want tiny babies rubbing their hands in it and getting it in their mouths or something, but I've used it on small babies before 6 months and it was fine (in small quantities).  As for the shower thing, you can always get a steam humidifier... they are only dangerous around mobile children (and sometimes pets, like dogs who could knock them over).  But they are more sanitary than the cool ones (which you have to clean well every day) and they really make a difference (at least to our kiddos).  Hope she feels better really soon!!!

nessy1980
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:22 AM

vicks for babies doesnt have anything bad in it.  If I were you I would load on vitamin c, Zinc and D3 so you can pass it to her. Maybe you should take a probiotic too.

wildsissy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:45 AM

ok great ideas ladies!!  I do have a Vicks steam humidifier.. maybe I can put her in her bouncer seat sorta in front of it.. and yeah.. I've been drinking OJ & Cranberry juice like crazy to help flush this out of me.  I have D3 drops so I'll make sure to get those in.. not sure about Zinc.  I did take my prenatal today. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)