Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Night weaning... Possibly...

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:04 AM
  • 1 Replies

I have a 17 month old. He still nurses, a LOT! Especially at night. We have always coslept so this has never been a big deal for us

Well, I am pregnant, about 8 weeks. And we are already noticing a drop in supply, especially... at night.

So, I think I should night wean him... because a)  all the unproductive sucking is HURTING my nipples. b) He gets angry when he doesnt get enough and wakes up, waking me up and we both dont get enough sleep. and c) once the baby gets here he wont be able to nurse at night anyway because the baby will be on the boob.

But then on the other hand I think I should let it happen naturally because I am losing supply and it might be easier on him to drop off with my supply...

IDK! Help?

I really need advice! How would I even go about night weaning if thats what I decide on...?

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 8, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Hi, Marie...surprised no one has picked this up but it looks like it's been busy past two days!

Step one really will be transitioning him to his own bed. Night weaning is MUCH easier when the source isn't right there. It doesn't mean he'll SLEEP any better, but if you move him then dad can take wakeup duty.

There's a great article on drjaygordon.com about changing the sleep pattern in the family bed...check it out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)