Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Won't take a bottle!

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:34 AM
  • 5 Replies

My youngest (and my only nursling) is 8 months old. She's ebf with solids once a day. Anyway, I've only left her a few times where she needed to nurse, and she wouldn't take the bottle of breastmilk that I left, which made feel really crappy, you know? I don't want her to go hungry. However, she tries to drink out of my older sons straw sippy cups, and she can actually get some water out. Should I just buy her some of those to use when I need to go out? I've never had a baby who wouldn't take the bottle, so this is new for me. My oldest two took a bottle with no problems. I don't leave her often (it'll probably be a few months before we have to leave her again), but I want to be prepared in the mean time just in case. Thanks!

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
WilliamsMama08
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Yep, just get her a straw sippy if she's doing well with it.  DS never took a bottle, but loved straws.

mama02040608
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:37 AM
If she will take it in the sippy, then give her the sippy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gailll
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:47 AM

If she is eating solids she can eat solids while you are gone and wait until you get home to nurse. You can try straw feeding breastmilk she may not take much. I took care of my bf grandson starting when he was 9 mo and he would just eat solids when my DIL was at work and nurse the other times including several times at night. He wouldn't take a bottle and he wouldn't drink much expressed milk.  

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:39 PM

YEP my 3rd and first EBF baby hated bottles, refused anything but 4 oz in my 8 hour day, but after 10 months we changed to a straw sippy by nuby and he did GREAT

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:40 PM

This all depends on how long mom is gone, a 9 month old still needs SOME Bm while mom is gone if its for a large portion of the day.  NO need to do straw feedings at 9 months, shes talking straw sippy cups

Quoting Gailll:

If she is eating solids she can eat solids while you are gone and wait until you get home to nurse. You can try straw feeding breastmilk she may not take much. I took care of my bf grandson starting when he was 9 mo and he would just eat solids when my DIL was at work and nurse the other times including several times at night. He wouldn't take a bottle and he wouldn't drink much expressed milk.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)