Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

fever...

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:05 AM
  • 12 Replies
So yesterday my breasts started to get really tender and kind of engorged feeling and I was FREEZING cold most of the day. Well then last night I was shivering under 2 blankets(I had a fever). So I checked my temp and sure enough it was 101.7 or somethin. I'm worried I might have a breast infection or something. How do I know what to look for? Should I go to the doc asap or can it wait till monday
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:15 AM
Look up mastitis on kellymom.com. are remedies and treatments that should help. The most important thing is to nurse constantly to clear the infected clogged duct.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProfessorEpona
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Sounds like Mastitis.  Get some antibiotics from the doctor.  You should keep nursing if you can't then pump. After nursing warm compresses to keep it open.  I had it when my LO was 8 weeks.  It will go away with the antibiotics.  But is is painful and you feel like total crap.

Chasamassa
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:39 PM
Ya I'm going to try doing the home remedies before goin to the doctor, stuff I read on kellymom.com. if its not improved by Monday ill call my doc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chasamassa
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:40 PM
Oh and since I read the stuff on kellymom.com it makes sense. My daughter has been sleeping longer at night so I'm waking up engorged all the time. How do I prevent this happening again if she keeps sleeping longer at night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:33 PM

You can hand express or pump JUST until you feel more comfortable.  Your supply will eventually adjust to the change. 

Chasamassa
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 4:11 PM
Well... I went to the doc today and they did NOTHING for me. Said to keep doin what I'm doin. Hot compress,nurse cuz I still have two small clogs and I did only have one big one. One of the small ones now was a bigone before. Andnow I have another one on the opposite side of my breast.. he said he has no doubt if I keep doin hot compress right before I nurse that they'll clear right up. He thinks I got the big one and that's why my fever has disappeared.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 9, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Have you tried dangle nursing?  That is what cleared my plugged duct when I had one.  I put my baby on the bed and dangled my breast into his mouth.  The gravity helped draw it out.  Keep doing everything else.  At least you have made progress. 

jessihernandez
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 9:42 PM

You're getting there. I'm glad the big one is smaller, but sorry you have to deal with it at all. If you can point baby's chin towards one of the clogs, they say that helps clear it out faster as well. Good luck to you!

Chasamassa
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 11:35 PM
Thanks for the advice ladies! I haven't tried dangle nursing but I think ill give it a try tomorrow if this hasn't cleared..I am soo frustrated. This one clog is just sooo stubborn. It seems like I'm always gonna be clogged up :(. This WILL end, right?!! Also..is it possible this is effecting my supply? My daughter is acting STARVING the last few days. Its like nursing a nb ALL over again. She's wanting to eat every 1-2hrs and nurse for 30-45 min. Which is good for wantin to get this clog out but on that side she doesn't wanna stay on..its the other side she is constantly wanting to nurse on!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 10, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Eleven weeks, right? Due for another growth spurt.

Quoting Chasamassa:

Thanks for the advice ladies! I haven't tried dangle nursing but I think ill give it a try tomorrow if this hasn't cleared..I am soo frustrated. This one clog is just sooo stubborn. It seems like I'm always gonna be clogged up :(. This WILL end, right?!! Also..is it possible this is effecting my supply? My daughter is acting STARVING the last few days. Its like nursing a nb ALL over again. She's wanting to eat every 1-2hrs and nurse for 30-45 min. Which is good for wantin to get this clog out but on that side she doesn't wanna stay on..its the other side she is constantly wanting to nurse on!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)