Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you let them try your milk?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:12 AM
  • 51 Replies

My best friend just had her second baby two weeks ago, she's breastfeeding.
She also has a 3 year old son who she also breastfed until he was 1.

She's very open about it, and breastfeeds in front of her son, which has caught his curiosity and now he wants to do it!
AND SHE LETS HIM!!

To my understanding, it's not often.
Don't you think it's taking a step BACKWARDS though?
Isn't kind of weird breastfeeding an older child that you've already stopped breastfeeding?

What do you think?
If your toddler/child wanted to try breastfeeding after seeing the new baby do it, would you let them?
Advice?

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommytam
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:15 AM

My son asked if he could try it he is just 4 and I told him know it is for baby. But I don't think he would anyways. They are just curious I am sure and wanted to taste is cause I tell them that it is milk. Never asked again. I am open with it. I feed infrom of my boys. If I plan to do it for a year they have to get use to it. Oh and mine where breastfeed but not for long. 4 weeks and 1 week.

aydens_mom620
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:16 AM

ayden was a little over 1 when declyn was born, he wanted to try and i let him.  he couldnt remember how to latch on, but i let him.  i see nothing wrong with it.

Jaxonsmommy2007
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:17 AM
My DS who is 3 asked when DD was born and I just explained to him that I nursed him when he was little too. He asked if he could and I told him later and he never asked again. I think that he just wanted to know 'if' I would let him. It is whatever is right for themselves. I see no problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimmykim
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:23 AM

I won't let my older kids (who are 3 & 5) try it from the breast, but if they want to know how it tastes, I'll give them some in a cup.

KaileezMom
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:02 PM

My 1st DD actually had problems so i pumped and supplemented until she was 6 weeks and then gave up. She is 2 now. This LO is going strong but i had just pumped to have some for when i took DD1 out for her play group so daddy would have some. My 2 yo saw the bottle full that i just pumped and said, "some please PLEASE". lol! So, i said ok...i poored a little in a cup and she said "mmmmmm more PLEASE!" LOL! So i said well it's good for her too so i gave her a bit more. Then i saved the rest for baby of course. ;) I dont think i'd put her to the breast though.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
ilovemylovey
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:13 PM
My son was over three when my baby was born. He asked me all the time if he could have some of my milky. And I told him he got to have it when he was little too. I also said he could try knowing he really didn't want to but it was the only way he knew to express his feelings of feeling left out. Needless to say he never tried.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
curlycupcake
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:18 PM

I plan on pumping a bit for my 3 year old when the new baby gets here (any day now!).  If she wanted to try nursing I would let her.  Chances are she wouldn't remember how to latch anyway, few do.  My dd has a great dislike for milk & I think it would be really good for her to have some BM anyway.  I don't see anything weird about it.  It's only natural for an older sibling to be curious.  And why set up sibling rivalry & jealousy over something that probably won't work or won't stick if it does work?  It's not a conflict I am willing to have with my dd.  I'd rather save my energy....

ch-hay
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:25 PM

I don't know how I would feel if I already weaned, honestly.  I definitely wouldn't go around telling people because of the social stigma, but I might let him try.  I plan to BF DS till probably about age 2 anyway (he is 15 months now and still BF at least 4 times a day), so I don't really see a huge difference BF a 2 year old or a 3 year old.  But I think it might make me a little uncomfortable.  Then again, I used to think BF a toddler would make me uncomfortable until I was a BF mom, but now, I don't even blink when my son walks up and says, "Nah nah" and taps my breast to let me know he wants some milk. 

So I guess I don't know what I would do for a 3 year old, but much older than that would definitely be past my personal comfort zone.  My 8 year old SD teases my son sometimes by pretending like she is going to get my milk and steal it from him (sometimes he laughs and sometimes he pushes her away).  It makes me really uncomfortable, so I tell her to go away so as not to distract him, but really it is just because it annoys me when he face is right up against my boob.  I think she does it really because she is curious, but it is annoying. 

bubbbaNbabygirl
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:28 PM

my son would ask  and i say go ahead  but he'd just look at me and giggle :)      he was around 2

gabbysmom2007
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:32 PM

My daughter did after my son was born. I let her try some milk out of a cup but she didn't like the taste anymore. I wouldn't go back to the boob but if she had liked the taste ya I would have pumped for her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)