Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fish Oil

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:02 PM
  • 9 Replies

Is this safe while breastfeeding? I can't find any concrete information on it online...

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lifetimelove
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:00 PM
Yes, I take it. As long as it's from a source that isn't high in mercury, and I believe most are from salmon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom_2_be2008
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:27 PM

I am just so frustrated right now! I have called so many people and they all say they don't know... so thank you for your reply! I talked to a  "lactation"nurse (I put quotations because she was so unhelpful) and she said she spoke to the OB and he said that some pre-natals have omega 3 fatty acids in them.. so I asked how I could tell if it were in my pre-natals, and she said she didn't know, what does the pre-natal say, I said it had several ingrediants but nothing said omega 3, fish oil, or flaxseed oi.. so she said she had no idea..  So, I bought some fish oil from GNC and it says on the label that there are "no detectable levels of mercury, lead, etc" so I am assuming that it is ok?  I am taking this to try and help with some depression, since I do not want to go on meds right now, and the lactation nurse all but told me to go on anti-depressants, and not even try this.. which upset me.. she said she had never heard of anyone using fish oil for depression..

Quoting lifetimelove:

Yes, I take it. As long as it's from a source that isn't high in mercury, and I believe most are from salmon.

lishapoo36
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I'm still taking mine. I've been taking a EPA-DHA fish oil supplement since I found out I was prego and continued after I had DS. They are made for pregnant and BFmoms so I know they're okay.

Mom_2_be2008
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Can I asked where you purchased them or what they are called? I am just so frustrated with the lack of information I am receiving from healthcare professionals!

Quoting lishapoo36:

I'm still taking mine. I've been taking a EPA-DHA fish oil supplement since I found out I was prego and continued after I had DS. They are made for pregnant and BFmoms so I know they're okay.

lishapoo36
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I got them from walmart actually, but they are sold at other stores, target, ect.. I can't recall the brand of them and mine are upstairs at the moment, but they are easy to spot. Right next to prenatals in a box. the box is pink.

Mom_2_be2008
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Ok thanks! I actually just thought that the ones I bought at GNC are sold in a prenatal pack as well I think, so they should be ok..

Quoting lishapoo36:

I got them from walmart actually, but they are sold at other stores, target, ect.. I can't recall the brand of them and mine are upstairs at the moment, but they are easy to spot. Right next to prenatals in a box. the box is pink.

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:42 PM
I was wondering about all the DHA stuff as well and some gals here warned me against some of the PLANT BASED DHA sources. Geez i cant remember why though. Mercury-free fish oil DHA, I am told is safe for pregnancy, breastfeeding and general family nutrition.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
H.I.S.
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Quoting Mom_2_be2008:

I am just so frustrated right now! I have called so many people and they all say they don't know... so thank you for your reply! I talked to a  "lactation"nurse (I put quotations because she was so unhelpful) and she said she spoke to the OB and he said that some pre-natals have omega 3 fatty acids in them.. so I asked how I could tell if it were in my pre-natals, and she said she didn't know, what does the pre-natal say, I said it had several ingrediants but nothing said omega 3, fish oil, or flaxseed oi.. so she said she had no idea..  So, I bought some fish oil from GNC and it says on the label that there are "no detectable levels of mercury, lead, etc" so I am assuming that it is ok?  I am taking this to try and help with some depression, since I do not want to go on meds right now, and the lactation nurse all but told me to go on anti-depressants, and not even try this.. which upset me.. she said she had never heard of anyone using fish oil for depression..

Quoting lifetimelove:

Sound like you aren't getting any good info, they are totally fine to take while bfing. Here a good link for info.

Mom_2_be2008
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Yeah the one I bought says no detectable levels of mercury so I would think it's ok?

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I was wondering about all the DHA stuff as well and some gals here warned me against some of the PLANT BASED DHA sources. Geez i cant remember why though. Mercury-free fish oil DHA, I am told is safe for pregnancy, breastfeeding and general family nutrition.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)