Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there anyway?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:27 PM
  • 6 Replies

I am sure that it is absolutely impossible but I am pretty illiterate about breastfeeding. I did it but I dont know a lot about it like most of you women do. Anyways is it possible to take that fenugreek and start making milk again? Its been 5 months since I breastfed. I am sure that it is impossible but I would love to be able to! I miss it!

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Char07
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:32 PM
It is possible, you can try fenugreek, teas or medications. It's called relactating, you'll want to pump often and use a SNS supplemental nursing system to try and get baby to take the breast and stimulate it to make milk. Look it up on kellymom.com
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashnekol86
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Ok thanks so much!

Quoting Char07:

It is possible, you can try fenugreek, teas or medications. It's called relactating, you'll want to pump often and use a SNS supplemental nursing system to try and get baby to take the breast and stimulate it to make milk. Look it up on kellymom.com

maggiemom2000
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Yes it is possible. I did it for an adopted baby 6 years after I had stopped breastfeeding!

It is possible to get your baby successfully nursing at the breast, and can be well worth the effort in the long run.  I have worked with other moms with babies who came home from the hospital taking only bottles and learned to breastfeed.  Keep in mind that many moms re-lactate and breastfeed their adopted children (and not just newborns, even older infants who have had nothing but bottles for their first months of life). 

Will your baby latch on and nurse at all?  If she will, just start putting her to the breast more and more.  Get her to nurse as much as she is willing and supplement as you need to with pumped milk (or formula if you don't have the pumped milk).  Gradually over time you can get her transitioned all the way to the breast.

You will want to get her to the breast at least 8-12 times in 24 hours.  Another thing you can do to help increase supply is to pump between feedings.  Pump one hour after feedings as many times a day as you can.  Pick a schedule for pumping, and stick to that schedule.  After several days you should start to see an increase in the amount you are pumping.  Any milk you pump can be used to replace formula in the bottles. The pump you are using can make a huge difference. Some pumps are much more effective at extracting milk than others. An automatic double action pump made by a reputable company is usually needed by mothers who establishing a milk supply or re-lactating. The pump should cycle-suction 40 to 60 times per minute.  It may be worth it to rent a hospital grade pump (even just for one month). More info at PUMPING TO INCREASE SUPPLY 

and

POWER PUMPING 

I'll give you some tips that may help her to get back to the breast:

Put her to the breast when she is not hungry, encourage "comfort nursing".

Give her most of her feeding by bottle, then try to switch her to the breast.

Click here to learn more about the "finish at the breast" method: http://www.lowmilksupply.org/finishatthebreast.shtml

If she is used to the bottle, and still refusing the breast after trying most of the other tips, she may be willing to take the breast with a nipple shield.

You can eliminate supplemental bottles so that she gets all of her sucking at the breast.  You can get milk into her by cup or syringe if she still needs supplemental milk.

Another way to eliminate bottles is to supplement at the breast.  This has been helpful to some moms and babies transitioning from bottle to breast. For this you will need a supplemental nursing system.  Your local La Leche League leader could help you to get one.  For more information on this go to:

http://www.lowmilksupply.org/abs.shtml

Increase skin on skin contact:

Many mothers have found skin-to-skin is the absolute best tool we have for increasing milk supply and getting babies to nurse really well. Spending as much time as you possibly can with you undressed from the waist up and your baby undressed except for a diaper, just letting her sleep in your arms against your skin until she wakes and wants to nurse, will help so much. It organizes baby's suck and it stimulates your milk supply. Skin-to-skin contact also keeps your baby warm and secure and helps her use all her energy to grow. 

The two of you can cover up with a blanket when you're resting together. When you're up and around, you could carry your baby inside your shirt/jacket (a button up works best) when she is wearing nothing but a diaper. Babies love to be held so I'm sure she would be thrilled! If you have a sling or soft baby carrier you can carry her in that under your shirt/jacket. 

Warm baths have been known to help too. There's something not only relaxing about a nice warm bath, but it also help the milk flow. If you bathe with your baby that is even better. The warm water helps baby relax and nurse better while it helps you relax and your milk to flow better. For safety only do this when someone is available to help you in and out of the tub.

If you do give pumped milk or formula with a bottle, offer it to her in only her diaper, holding her against your bare chest, turned in close to "simulate" breastfeeding.  You want her to associate this feeling with feeding.  You can learn more about bottle feeding in a way that supports breastfeeding at: http://www.lowmilksupply.org/bottles.shtml

Try breast compression:

Another tool that mothers have found very helpful for (babies who fall asleep at the breast, low milk supply, baby frustrated while nursing, etc.) is breast compression. To do breast compression, put your baby to your breast and let her latch on and nurse. You'll see the little fluttery sucks at first while she is waiting for the milk to let down, then her sucking will change to slooooow sucks and you'll be able to hear her swallowing. That's how you know your milk is flowing (also called "letting down"). 

When the milk stops flowing quickly, your baby will go back to the quick, fluttery sucks. Then you grasp your breast, with your hand well back away from the nipple, and squeeeeeeze and hold. You'll see that your baby goes back to the sloooow sucks again, as your milk begins flowing quickly and she drinks your milk. Keep holding the squeeze until she goes back to flutter-sucks, then release the squeeze for a few moments, and repeat. You can continue breast compression, followed by releasing the compression, for the whole nursing session. Doing breast compression can really help your baby get a lot more milk in a short time.

You may choose to use herbs or contact your doctor about prescription medication to boost your supply.  Here are two links to more information:

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/herbal_galactagogue.html

http://www.lowmilksupply.org/increasingmilk-galactagogues.shtml

ashnekol86
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:25 PM

So how did you start re-lactating? Just putting your baby to the breast to suck and that's it or did you have to pump, take fenugreek, do the SNS thing? And how long did it take you to start making milk again after 6 yrs of not nursing? My daughter will be 5 months old in 2 days so she hasn't been on the breast for 4 months and 1 week. Regardless of what I tried she wouldn't take to it so I stopped after 3 weeks and now I regret giving up so easily!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Yes it is possible. I did it for an adopted baby 6 years after I had stopped breastfeeding!

It is possible to get your baby successfully nursing at the breast, and can be well worth the effort in the long run.  I have worked with other moms with babies who came home from the hospital taking only bottles and learned to breastfeed.  Keep in mind that many moms re-lactate and breastfeed their adopted children (and not just newborns, even older infants who have had nothing but bottles for their first months of life). 

Will your baby latch on and nurse at all?  If she will, just start putting her to the breast more and more.  Get her to nurse as much as she is willing and supplement as you need to with pumped milk (or formula if you don't have the pumped milk).  Gradually over time you can get her transitioned all the way to the breast.

You will want to get her to the breast at least 8-12 times in 24 hours.  Another thing you can do to help increase supply is to pump between feedings.  Pump one hour after feedings as many times a day as you can.  Pick a schedule for pumping, and stick to that schedule.  After several days you should start to see an increase in the amount you are pumping.  Any milk you pump can be used to replace formula in the bottles. The pump you are using can make a huge difference. Some pumps are much more effective at extracting milk than others. An automatic double action pump made by a reputable company is usually needed by mothers who establishing a milk supply or re-lactating. The pump should cycle-suction 40 to 60 times per minute.  It may be worth it to rent a hospital grade pump (even just for one month). More info at PUMPING TO INCREASE SUPPLY 

and

POWER PUMPING 

I'll give you some tips that may help her to get back to the breast:

Put her to the breast when she is not hungry, encourage "comfort nursing".

Give her most of her feeding by bottle, then try to switch her to the breast.

Click here to learn more about the "finish at the breast" method: http://www.lowmilksupply.org/finishatthebreast.shtml

If she is used to the bottle, and still refusing the breast after trying most of the other tips, she may be willing to take the breast with a nipple shield.

You can eliminate supplemental bottles so that she gets all of her sucking at the breast.  You can get milk into her by cup or syringe if she still needs supplemental milk.

Another way to eliminate bottles is to supplement at the breast.  This has been helpful to some moms and babies transitioning from bottle to breast. For this you will need a supplemental nursing system.  Your local La Leche League leader could help you to get one.  For more information on this go to:

http://www.lowmilksupply.org/abs.shtml

Increase skin on skin contact:

Many mothers have found skin-to-skin is the absolute best tool we have for increasing milk supply and getting babies to nurse really well. Spending as much time as you possibly can with you undressed from the waist up and your baby undressed except for a diaper, just letting her sleep in your arms against your skin until she wakes and wants to nurse, will help so much. It organizes baby's suck and it stimulates your milk supply. Skin-to-skin contact also keeps your baby warm and secure and helps her use all her energy to grow. 

The two of you can cover up with a blanket when you're resting together. When you're up and around, you could carry your baby inside your shirt/jacket (a button up works best) when she is wearing nothing but a diaper. Babies love to be held so I'm sure she would be thrilled! If you have a sling or soft baby carrier you can carry her in that under your shirt/jacket. 

Warm baths have been known to help too. There's something not only relaxing about a nice warm bath, but it also help the milk flow. If you bathe with your baby that is even better. The warm water helps baby relax and nurse better while it helps you relax and your milk to flow better. For safety only do this when someone is available to help you in and out of the tub.

If you do give pumped milk or formula with a bottle, offer it to her in only her diaper, holding her against your bare chest, turned in close to "simulate" breastfeeding.  You want her to associate this feeling with feeding.  You can learn more about bottle feeding in a way that supports breastfeeding at: http://www.lowmilksupply.org/bottles.shtml

Try breast compression:

Another tool that mothers have found very helpful for (babies who fall asleep at the breast, low milk supply, baby frustrated while nursing, etc.) is breast compression. To do breast compression, put your baby to your breast and let her latch on and nurse. You'll see the little fluttery sucks at first while she is waiting for the milk to let down, then her sucking will change to slooooow sucks and you'll be able to hear her swallowing. That's how you know your milk is flowing (also called "letting down"). 

When the milk stops flowing quickly, your baby will go back to the quick, fluttery sucks. Then you grasp your breast, with your hand well back away from the nipple, and squeeeeeeze and hold. You'll see that your baby goes back to the sloooow sucks again, as your milk begins flowing quickly and she drinks your milk. Keep holding the squeeze until she goes back to flutter-sucks, then release the squeeze for a few moments, and repeat. You can continue breast compression, followed by releasing the compression, for the whole nursing session. Doing breast compression can really help your baby get a lot more milk in a short time.

You may choose to use herbs or contact your doctor about prescription medication to boost your supply.  Here are two links to more information:

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/herbal_galactagogue.html

http://www.lowmilksupply.org/increasingmilk-galactagogues.shtml

maggiemom2000
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:16 PM

I rented a hospital grade pump (Medela Symphony) and pumped.She was a premiee with a weak suck so I pumped for about a month until she was nursing well at the breast. It took about a week to start seeing milk.

I also ordered and took Domperidone

Domperidone, Getting Started

Once she could nurse at the breast and get the formula from an at breast supplementer I eliminated all bottles and she got all of her formula feedings at the breast with the Lact-Aid

I also slept with her in bed with me and encouraged comfort nursing during the night.

Whenever I could I would take a "nursing vacation" and watch dvds all day with her on my chest getting her to nurse as much as possible.

By 5 months old she was only needing about 4-8 ounces of formula in the late afternoon/evening. After she started solids at 6 months I was able to eliminate all formula. She is now 13 mo and still breastfeeding!

ashnekol86
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:28 PM

OK THANK YOU, YOU'VE BEEN VERY HELPFUL!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

I rented a hospital grade pump (Medela Symphony) and pumped.She was a premiee with a weak suck so I pumped for about a month until she was nursing well at the breast. It took about a week to start seeing milk.

I also ordered and took Domperidone

Domperidone, Getting Started

Once she could nurse at the breast and get the formula from an at breast supplementer I eliminated all bottles and she got all of her formula feedings at the breast with the Lact-Aid

I also slept with her in bed with me and encouraged comfort nursing during the night.

Whenever I could I would take a "nursing vacation" and watch dvds all day with her on my chest getting her to nurse as much as possible.

By 5 months old she was only needing about 4-8 ounces of formula in the late afternoon/evening. After she started solids at 6 months I was able to eliminate all formula. She is now 13 mo and still breastfeeding!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)