Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

not satisfied??

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:32 PM
  • 10 Replies

My daughter is five weeks old tomorrow.
She has been an awesome latcher and sucker from day one and i have plenty of milk. She will eat and eat from my breast 20+ minutes and be full and stop and i will still have milk in my breasts but five minutes later she'll want to eat again! She is never satisfied when it comes to the breast milk.
WE found out on Thursday that she has SEVERE GERD and its effecting her whole system (its eroded and damaged). I don't know if that could be a reason or no?
She can take a four oz bottle of formula and rice (per doctors orders of course!) and be full and fine for 4-6 hours. Its like she isn't getting anything from my milk. I pumped and gave her the 4oz i had gotten mixed with rice and that seemed to help.
My husband wants to switch to formula since she isn't acting like she is getting enough from my milk.
She has about three mild wet diapers a day and a poo diaper every three days. She is losing weight (a lb in one week) and we go back to the doc this coming week for weight checks and to discuss the results of the GERD test and possible medications and other things.

I Don't want to do formula and don't knwo what i should do. I plan to talk to the doctor about it when we go. I eat good and drink plenty and i make plenty of milk so i know thats not it...HELP

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Karen01060
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:36 PM

If it were me I wouldn't give formula or rice at all.  I don't know much about GERD but my babies had digestive issues when I ate dairy or soy so you could try cutting common allergens out of your diet.

Char07
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:41 PM
Sorry I'm not much help but bfing that often IS perfectly normal, it digests better than formula and they eat more often, I also know that most of the time formula will make GERD worse even though dr's often recommend weaning it usually isn't helpful. I would look into the rice cereal in the bote also because that is not usually recommended anymore either especially not in the bottle. Good luck Im sure others will be lots of help

you probably know also that feeding in an upright position and keeping upright after feedings helps a lot also
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MotherOPearl
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:46 PM
I don't know too much about the subject but I would try cutting things out of my diet first because what we eat can really affect our babies.
Also try feeding her in an upright position if you aren't already.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Char07
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:49 PM
You want to be seeing 6 wet diapers per day, what does the poop look like?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mitty18
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Its mushy, yellowish in color, and a good amount.
I know she isn't pooing and peeing enough but then again everything she eats if its not loaded with rice to keep it down comes right back up so she def. isn't getting enough but she is making tears and plenty of spit so she isn't dehydrated but she is loosing weight. Before she started the really bad spitting up she was making about five wet mild diapers in a 24 hr. period. SHe used to poo everday at least once and it was really runny but now its mushy and only every three days or so.

Quoting Char07:

You want to be seeing 6 wet diapers per day, what does the poop look like?

Char07
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:22 PM
Have you tried any medications? I've also heard lots of good things about probiotics for reflux I'm thinking about trying them for my dd if she continues to seem uncomfortable from it but she's still gaining weight okay. My 2 yo took Zantac and that worked well for her but I know for a lot that isn't enough
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alotta_fagina
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:24 PM

If she has gerd then the best thing for her is breastmilk, period.

antoinettegts
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:32 PM

How much did your baby weigh at birth?

I had a problem with my second son. He was 10 lbs. 8 ozs. at birth and fed frequently. When I asked his ped., she said that he should only be feeding for 30 mins. at a time. If he continues after then he's burning up calories, etc. Well, I listened to her and then he started losing weight. He was 4 lbs bigger then the average baby and required more.

I would say let her feed for as long as she needs to. Make sure you burp her every 15 mins. during the feedings and when she wants to eat again, let her. Also, like other moms have said, look at your diet and see if there's anything you can cut out. Try eating more grains, breads, and the such. If she's staying full with rice in her bottle try eating similar foods.

From my memory bf babies do have yellow mushy poop. I know mine did. Hope this helps.

antoinettegts
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Quoting alotta_fagina:

If she has gerd then the best thing for her is breastmilk, period.

maggiemom2000
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:57 PM

i will still have milk in my breasts

She is never satisfied

she has SEVERE GERD

These are all signs of an oversupply of milk taht leads to baby getting too much foremilk and not enough fatty hindmilk.  MOST babies in this situation gain excessively, occasionally a baby dealing with this will have very poor weight gain. I wonder if that is what is happening here.

Here are some of the common symptoms:

• Baby gags and chokes while feeding, as the milk sprays out too quickly for him to swallow.
  • Baby acts like he is starving and breastfeeds ravenously and frequently.
  • Baby refuses to breastfeed at times and goes on nursing strikes; he fusses or cries at the breast.
  • Baby is fussy, gassy and colicky.
  • Baby will not comfort-nurse; he only breastfeeds for food.
  • Baby has green, frothy, explosive bowel movements.
  • Mother gets frequent plugged ducts and mastitis.
  • Most babies whose mothers have oversupply gain weight very quickly (although it's also possible for the baby not to gain weight well.)

Not every mother with oversupply has all of these symptoms, but they usually have several of them.

La Leche League International has a terrific FAQ about oversupply of milk. It has lots of detailed information about this issue and how to deal with it. You can find it here: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

Why are babies whose mothers have too much milk so fussy and unhappy? One reason is because the milk often flows too quickly. Baby doesn't enjoy nursing because the fast flow of milk causes him to gag and choke.

The second reason is because baby gets too much sugar and not enough fat. Milk that is stored in the breasts (often called "foremilk") becomes thin, watery and high in milk sugar (lactose), while the milk that is freshly made (hindmilk) is higher in fat. The trouble with oversupply is that there is so much stored milk in the breast that the baby can't drink it all. He fills up on the thin, high-sugar milk and never gets to the satisfying, freshly made, higher fat milk.

The high-sugar milk quickly empties from baby's stomach, and soon after eating he acts like he's "starving" again. Also, the excess amounts of lactose irritate many babies' digestive systems, giving them gas and making them very fussy.

So, what can be done? The first step is to increase the amount of fat baby receives and reduce the overall volume of milk he receives so that he is happier. The long-term goal is to reduce the milk supply to a level that meets your baby's needs, but isn't excessive.

To increase the amount of fat baby receives, when you breastfeed him, take him off the breast when the milk begins to flow and let the first let-down run out into a towel. Then put him back to the breast and let him finish nursing. Nurse only on one breast per feeding. The letdowns that happen later in a nursing session are not as forceful as the first letdown, so this helps to prevent choking and gagging from the forceful spray of milk. It will also help baby receive the high-fat milk he needs to stay satisfied longer, and will be easier on his digestive system. This is a good short term fix, and many mothers find that it makes things somewhat better right away.

Nurse frequently. This seems like a strange suggestion, because normally the more often you nurse, the more milk you will make. But by nursing frequently, before your baby is extremely hungry, he may nurse more gently instead of like he's "starving." Frequent nursing also helps him to get the higher-fat milk, because the fat content decreases the longer milk is stored in the breast.

Try and nurse at least every hour during the day for a few days (and if she wants to nurse again 5 minutes later, great, offer the same breast again). Offer only one breast per feeding, and if baby doesn't drain the breast offer that same breast again. Also use breast compression to help baby get the fatty hindmilk.

Here are some suggestions to reduce the amount of milk you are producing. This is a long-term solution, and it takes time and patience.

• Avoid pumping unless you need to pump because you are away from your baby. If you need to pump, pump only enough for his needs.
  • Breastfeed only on one breast per feeding. The other breast should become somewhat full in between feedings. When your breast becomes full (engorged), and stays that way for a while, it sends a message to the milk-producing cells to reduce the amount of milk they are producing. You need to be very careful not to become *too* engorged, or you may get plugged ducts and mastitis. If you become too engorged between feedings, pump just enough milk to relieve the pressure, but don't empty the breast.
  • Some mothers find that breastfeeding on only one side per feeding and discontinuing pumping are enough to regulate their supply. However, many mothers have to do more. They need to breastfeed on one breast only for 3 hrs, 4 hrs, or longer. Some people call this "block nursing." When baby wants to nurse, breastfeed him on the right side only, if he wants to feed again any time within that 3 hour period, keep putting him to the right breast only. After that 3 hour block of time is up, breastfeed only on the left side for the next 3 hours. Again, you need to be careful about engorgement. You want the breast that is not being used to get somewhat full, but not so engorged that you get plugs and mastitis. If blocks of 3 hrs isn't enough to regular your supply, you might do blocks of 4 hrs, or longer.

Many feel that the risks of early introduction of rice cereal outweigh the potential benefits for gerd. You and baby are probably going to be much better off feeding at the breast, small frequent feeds, than pumping and giving rice cereal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)