Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby is bitting me!

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:34 PM
  • 2 Replies

does anybody have any suggestions of ways to get my baby to stop bitting my nipple? my lactation consultant suggested i break suction and say no in a firm voice or "pop" her face (which is NOT an option for me!) have been doing that 2 days and she is still doing it. want to b/f for at least  a year but i can't take the bitting! am desperate. 

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Char07
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:38 PM
Break suction say no and put baby down for a moment they'll learn
biting = no nursing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:01 PM

I'm glad you are not going to "pop" her face. That is crazy! Not to mention mean.

What has always worked best for me is to figure out when baby is most likely to bite and take them off BEFORE they get the chance to.

Hang in there, it WILL get better. I'm currently nursing baby #3 and she has been by far my biggest biter! She is now 13 mos old and NEVER bites.

Most often info at

When Baby Bites

Here is just part of it:

ays to PREVENT biting

1. Biting at the end of a nursing session: Biting often takes place at the end of a nursing session when baby is getting bored and is no longer hungry. If you start to have a biting problem, watch for signs of boredom, and take baby from the breast before the biting starts. Also, watch for tension in baby's jaw before he starts to bite down. He may also pull his tongue back from it's normal position over the lower gum/teeth.

2. When baby is teething: Biting can also be brought on by teething. If baby seems to be teething rather than wanting to nurse, offer her a teething toy or something cold to bite (instead of you). Offer baby a teething toy after a bite or "near miss." When you do this, tell her, "This is for biting. Be gentle when you nurse." See also these comfort measures for teething.

3. When my oldest was teething, I could tell whether my baby felt like biting or nursing by offering her a finger (careful!) or a toy before nursing - she would either suck or bite.

4. Biting at the beginning of a nursing session: If baby is biting at the beginning of a nursing session, make sure baby opens wide when latching on. If your teething baby is biting at the beginning of a nursing session, try giving her a teething toy or something cold to chew on before nursing. Praise baby when she latches on correctly, without biting.

5. Distracted baby: When baby is distracted, don't force a nursing. If he's wriggling, rolling, or pushing against you with his arms, he may not be hungry or interested in nursing. Try lying down with him in a quiet room, walking or rocking. See also these tips for nursing distracted babies.

6. Biting for attention: Focus your attention on your baby while nursing, if you're having a problem with biting. Some older babies will bite for attention. Paying attention will also help you to be aware of when baby is about to bite.
Use positive reinforcement and praise for good latch on and careful unlatching. Even the youngest babies can learn to nurse properly when mom uses gentle encouragement.

What do I do if baby bites me?
If baby bites, it can be very effective to calmly remove baby from the breast and say nothing (or perhaps make a calm comment like "oh? don't want to nurse right now?"), then end the nursing session for a bit.

Stopping the nursing session is generally the most effective way to teach baby that nursing and biting do not go together. Once baby lets go, remove her from the breast for a bit - it may be a few seconds or a few minutes (this is something where you'll need to gauge your own baby's reaction). If baby is teething (which is often the cause of biting), this is a good time to hand baby something cold to chew on, a teething toy, etc. You might tell baby something along the lines of, "if you want to bite, we're not nursing." If baby really wants to keep nursing, she may get upset when you end the nursing session, at which point you can wait a few moments then give baby another chance to nurse. If baby is not interested in nursing, she might fuss a few seconds but then go on to something else.

If baby bites, it's not a good idea to scream or yell on purpose as a method to stop biting -- there are better ways to teach baby not to bite. Sometimes, of course, it's impossible not to yell in pain if baby catches you by surprise and/or bites hard. Sometimes yelling does stop baby from biting again; however, some babies think it's so funny that they continue to bite for the reaction, and other babies are so scared that they go on a nursing strike. The chance that this method will stop baby biting is simply not worth the problems it can cause.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)