• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is she sleeping to much? Advice please

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:45 PM
  • 8 Replies

My baby girl 6 days old will go 3 hours wihtout eating, all she wants to do is sleep and it gets to where I have to wake her at times cause I need the relief, She was born at 37 weeks 2 days and I hear that will make her sleep more cuase she was a little early. Everytime I put her to the breast she falls asleep and will stop eating at times. She will onlt nurse for 5 min at times and then sleep for over 2 hours before waking again. I don't want to have my supply not be enough and I want to be sure she is getting enough and getting full. I don't want to pump yet cause I don't want an over supply.

Update

Her last feeding went so well she went for 30 min. I am so proud her her. Her longest feeding ever. Was not a straingt 30 min casue I burped and changed her, but was satisfied with how she ate in general. Now she is snoozing away, I tried what some on you said. I stripped her down to her diaper and had skin on skin. And I am sure she got some hindmilk. that I did not know about till this group. So thank you. I make her go long on on breast till it felt pretty soft so I fell was empty or close to it. Then got her to go to the other side and may have go hindmilk there too cause it was getting close to be as soft as the other side.

And not not a first time mom just a first time determined to breastfeed. Did not long with my boys 5yr and 4yr now. I was uneducated but know more now and was a lot younger and stressed easier than what i do now.

Mommy to Jae Jae 3/12/05, TyTy 6/4/06

breastfeedingEmily 8/1/10

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mommytam
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:50 PM

BUMP!

Bev7914
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:56 PM

BUMP!

ZandMommy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:57 PM

You must have rich milk. She would wake up if she was hungry or not getting enough. She might be going trough a growth spurt. They grow when they sleep. Sound like everything is a-ok. First time mom? I was the same way.

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:03 PM

How many wet diapers in a 24 hour period?  At 6 days, she should begin having 6-8 in 24 hours.  If she is getting that, then she's getting enough fluids - although only nursing for 5 minutes at a time would have me slightly concerned that she's not getting enough hindmilk, which will affect her weight gain.

You might want to consider waking her every couple of hours throughout the day to encourage her to nurse (longer at night).  You might also want to try block feeding throughout the day(nursing on 1 side for all feeds in a 3 hour block, then switching).  For your LO, that would mean nursing, waking her up 2 hours later and nursing on the same side, waking her up and nursing on other side, etc. . .

Char07
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:04 PM
I have always had to wake my babies for the first week or so, when she falls asleep during a feeding you can change her diaper, burp her, talk to her, tickle her feet, wipe her down with a wet washcloth to wake her up to start feeding again. Being skin to skin helps a lot to encourage nursing too. I'd shoot for every 2 to 3 hours during the day and about 4 hours at night with waking her if she tries to go longer
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lindsey807
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:09 PM

My daughter was born at 37 weeks and she still sleeps a lot, she will be three weeks on Tuesday.  She started to have longer stints of awake time around her second week.  Don't worry, she is newborn and that is what they do, they eat, sleep, and poop :)  Just don't let her go four hours without eating.  Piper will often fall asleep when I am nursing as well.  I will burp her or rub her on the back of the neck, usually that will get her going again.  She's fine dear.  Don't worry too much.

maggiemom2000
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Spend as much time as you can skin to skin (baby in only a diaper on your bare chest) so that you can catch all of the little windows of her being alert enough to nurse. As soon as she starts to move around a bit she is likely ready.

When she starts to fall asleep/stops sucking, squeeze your breast to make the milk flow. When the milk starts flowing into her mouth she will start sucking and swallowing again. Keep doing this as long as you can, then try the other side, then let her go back to sleep on your chest.

Those 5 minute nursings are fine for this baby who was a little early, but she may need to do that a few times an hour, THEN sleep for 2-3 hours.

If she has had a good 8-12 feedings during the day (and is peeing and pooping enough) then let her sleep as long as she likes at night.

ShadowLark
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:18 PM

My son was also born at 37 weeks 2 days and they told me the same thing!  Being a first timer, I was fool enough to listen.  Well, guess what?  He WOULDN'T wake up every 2 hours, no matter WHAT I tried, and furthermore, I couldn't take that schedule at night.  My husband had to help which meant formula, which meant the beginning of the end of nursing him.  We only lasted 3 months!

Then my daughter was born (13 1/2 months after her brother).  She was a 40 weeker and did the SAME thing.  I let her sleep.  She was FINE!  Grew 4 inches in her first two months of life!  If I'd had her first, I would have known better with my son.  And her baby sister is the same way!  And the best part?  She's 2 1/2 and tandem nursing with her 1 month old sister!

GO BY DIAPER COUNTS!!!!!!!  If she's having enough diapers, then LET HER SLEEP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)