Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

for mommies who pump

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:12 PM
  • 12 Replies
I have a 2 month old who I bf exclusivley. Just today I started pumping so the hubbz and I can get our quality time without the kiddos. I was only able to get 4oz total. 3oz from the right and 1oz from the left. I will say that I had just fed her on the left side before I pumped. My question is, about how much should I be getting from pumping or is everyone different? Also, is there a way I can get more oz?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
msmommatobe2010
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:15 PM

as far as amount goes it varries and i forget how much is normal. but for the getting more you can take fenurgreek, mothers milk tea, eat oatmeal, drink lots of water. im sure others have more advice for you but thats mine

msmommatobe2010
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:16 PM

fenugreek*

k_hall1784
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:19 PM
What is fenugreek?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swtabbga
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:19 PM

to get more power pump.  you just run into the problem of the baby not getting enough hind milk when ou do that.  My best suggestion to build up supply and make sure baby gets enough hindmilk is to figure out the baby's feeding schedule and pump before feeding.  your baby will be frustrated for a little while while your supply builds but you will start to be able to pump more.  i have been doing this for months because i started my  weekend classes back up in may and on saturday while i was in class from 9-5 i pumped 17 oz total from both breasts (each breast about 8.5 oz) and my son doesn't have a foremilk/hindmilk problem.  Good luck mama and happy dating to you and hubby.

maggiemom2000
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Wow! You did great!

According to La Leche League's Breastfeeding Answer Book, 3rd edition, on average most breastfed babies take between 2-4 ounces about 8-12 times per day, consuming about 28-32 ounces total per day. So that is plenty for one feeding.

k_hall1784
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:54 PM
Good to know! Thanks!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Wow! You did great!

According to La Leche League's Breastfeeding Answer Book, 3rd edition, on average most breastfed babies take between 2-4 ounces about 8-12 times per day, consuming about 28-32 ounces total per day. So that is plenty for one feeding.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
try4baby20
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:16 PM
Most people get 2oz total I get about 4oz per session if its been 2hr
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.J.
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:19 PM

What is normal: Half an ounce, to two ounces per session.

I used to get 4oz, now that's been a year and my milk is regulated I get .5oz to 2oz per session :-)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:18 PM

WOW you get 4 oz and thats after a feed..WOW thats awesome, why would you need more???

Babies need 1-1.25 oz an hour when you are away, so if you go out for dinner and a movie and are gone 5 hours thats maybe 5 oz of milk..maybe and never moer than a 3 oz bottle ever because BF babies need to eat small amounts very often.

NORMAL pumping is 1/2 oz to 2 oz total, you are doing awesome.  YOu can nurse one side while nursing the other to get better amounts than normal, you can compress and massage whilepumping to get more.  YOu have an oversupply to get as much as you do so I would not take any herbs or anything to raise it, oversupply can be a bad thing.

Just remember 1-1.25 oz an hour is all baby needs, nurse before going anywhere and no bottles within 1.5 hours of getting home and nurse when you return home.

Brandi1219
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:23 PM
I suggest pumping first thing in the morning. I can get about six oz from one side when i do that. If you do it every morning, just freeze it and save up. And use as needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)