Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sleeping on tummy while breast feeding?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:26 PM
  • 10 Replies

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this..... I got really bad mastitus with my first daughter so i was unable to continue breastfeeding. so this time i am taking every precaution i can to not get it again because it was extremly painful!!! So does any one know if laying on my tummy while I sleep cause any problems with breastfeeding?

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chasamassa
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:28 PM
Bump...I have a clogged duct right now so I'm curious what the answer to this is. This SUCKS!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stXmommy2Be
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:30 PM

yeah thats how my mastitus started with my first daughter.. a clogges duct it was horrible... I was told to massage my breast with a warm compress while in the warm ahower and let my self drip wile i was in teh shower... but i really didnt want to do that becasue i know how pecious my milk is and  i didnt want to waste any of it! lol

Chasamassa
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:33 PM
Lol. I never leak in the shower so idk how ill do that. Kellymom.com said to fill up a sposie diaper with HOT water and place it on the effected area and massage so I've been doin that. I'm runnin a fever off and on..it sucks! I'm so ready to get past this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stXmommy2Be
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:35 PM

My fever got up to 105!!!! not good I was horribly ill for a very long time! just keep it warm you dont want to get mastitus!

Chasamassa
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:47 PM
K...thx for the advice :). Do u think that a heating pad would work?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
staciaw
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:50 PM

BUMP!

LaurissasMommy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I've read that your sleeping position CAN cause mastitus, just like a tight fitting bra, seat belt, etc! I have had mastitus 4 times, and it is NOT fun!!  The best thing to do is lay in bed with your baby and let him/her nurse and nurse, and pump if you can. Take it easy, eliminate stress, don't even do housework or anything, sleep as much as possible, all those things help, and drink LOTS of water! The hot showers, hot cloths on the breast, massaging, etc help too! If your temp is really high, you might need antibiotics to help the infection to go away, so call your Dr! Best of luck to both of you ladies, I know it is a very difficult thing to go through!

catholicmamamia
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 2:43 AM

Sleeping on your stomach (and breasts) absolutely can cause mastitis for some mothers. Some moms (like me) can sleep on our stomachs with no problems of decreased supply or plugged ducts, while others suffer horribly because of it. Here is some info on the topic....  http://www.llli.org/FAQ/repeatmastitis.html

Mia~ happily married wife and breastfeeding, babywearing, sleepsharing, clothdiapering sahm

Chasamassa
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 3:25 PM
Wow! I never knew this! I'm a big tummy sleeper! I guess ill just have to get used to my side and my back again just like during pregnancy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stXmommy2Be
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 5:42 PM

thanks for the advice ladies!!!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)