Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Concerned my BM doesn't have what it takes

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:55 PM
  • 26 Replies

Camden is now 4 weeks old and I'm worried about my output of BM.  We started out in the NICU and therefore we were having latching issues.  But we've had some success lately, not complete success, but success none the less.

Just this evening, he latched, suckled for 12 minutes on and off the breast, burped twice and gave me a dirty diaper. But he wouldn't latch on the other breast and when I went to pump to supplement, I only got an oz from both breasts.

I've been reading from both the Le Leche League site and the Kellymom site about breastfeeding, latching, supply, and herbal supplements to help with milk production.  My mom says if he's sleeping well, producing both wet and dirty diapers and eating every 2.5 to 3 hrs, I don't have anything to worry about and stress could reduce my production. 

My QUESTION is this ... is there someplace that can test my milk to see if it has what my son needs to grow and be healthy?  My sister's was yellow and often had a layer of fat on the top when pulled from the fridge. Mine isn't anything like that, it's milky white and thin by appearance. 

Thanks

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SoniaL
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Your milk has exactly what your baby needs.  Your mom sounds like a smart lady. ;) Wish mine was!! lol  My daughter always nursed on 1 side only. And the pump output is NOT a good indication of what your baby is getting.

Char07
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:00 PM
Your milk is made for your baby, it's perfect :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ecodani
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:07 PM
Some milk separates a lot more than other milk. Ive noticed that as my DD gets older, the fat layer on top of pumped milk looks different. Also, depending on the time of day I pump, how much she has eaten, etc. Breast milk will adjust to your baby constantly. Some days I pump and it looks thin and the fat never rises. Some days I pump and it looks like bright yellow yogurt.

Count diapers. As long as there is no weight loss, you are doing everything right. Your body makes perfect milk without you even worrying about it.
maggiemom2000
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:08 PM

You cannot tell how "good" your milk is by looking at it. No, you can't have your milk tested. Even if you could, you could have your milk tested 10 different times and you would get 10 different results. You have the prefect milk for your baby and it changes from feeding to feeding.

Pumping is a terrible indication of output.

Is baby happy healthy and gaining weight? If he is then everything is perfect!

raven1114
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:46 PM

your milk is just fine. if he's eating, growing and producing wet/dirty diapers then it's just fine. breastmilk can vary in color depending on what the mom eats and some women's does have more fat/colories than others.

TexasWife
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Yours is everything that your baby needs. Not everyones is alike.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Quoting Camdens_Momma:

Camden is now 4 weeks old and I'm worried about my output of BM.  We started out in the NICU and therefore we were having latching issues.  But we've had some success lately, not complete success, but success none the less.

Just this evening, he latched, suckled for 12 minutes on and off the breast, burped twice and gave me a dirty diaper. But he wouldn't latch on the other breast and when I went to pump to supplement, I only got an oz from both breasts.throw out the clocks forget timing him, feed fully on one breast, offer the other if he refuses THATs fine, offer that one first the next time.  UMMM why in the world are you supplimenting?  NO need if baby is getting enough diapers in a day, how are those?  NORMAL output for a missed feeding is 1/2 oz to 2 oz total and you got 2 oz total after a feeding...yeah you are doing great!

I've been reading from both the Le Leche League site and the Kellymom site about breastfeeding, latching, supply, and herbal supplements to help with milk production.  My mom says if he's sleeping well, producing both wet and dirty diapers and eating every 2.5 to 3 hrs, I don't have anything to worry about and stress could reduce my production. your mom is right except for the timing diapers things..just look for 6 a day total wet or messy, 6 in 24 hours is the minimum

My QUESTION is this ... is there someplace that can test my milk to see if it has what my son needs to grow and be healthy?maybe, but lord only knows where since BM is perfect, it is 100% perfect, no one know exactly how much of each vitamin and nutrient needs to be in BM, there are things in BM that formula doesn't even contain, your BM is perfect  My sister's was yellow and often had a layer of fat on the top when pulled from the fridge. Mine isn't anything like that, it's milky white and thin by appearance. colors vary, no big deal, the layers don't matter either, what you pump is what you can pump, its not showing ALL the milk your baby can get and for sure not showing all the fat baby is getting out.

Thanks

H.I.S.
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Your milk is fine hun! Have you tried using a nipple shield to help with the latch? Good luck!

Lbluv20
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:54 AM

Your mom is a very smart lady!  i WISH someone had told me that with my son.. I just knew i wasnt producing enough so i formula fed.. i know better now with my daughte. just trust your baby and your body! you are doing great mom! hes probably not latching on to the other breast because hes fully satisfied. that is GREAT! and to get an ounce AFTER feeding! WOW! I can only pump an ounce  total! lol  Your doing great!

CafeMom Tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
ClaudiaTh
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 1:36 AM

Girl don't even worry about it !! Just make sure your lil man has enough wet diapers and is growing the way he's supposed to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)