Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

anyone know if these are safe while breastfeeding?

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 6:27 PM
  • 9 Replies

i am going to get a fruit and vegetable supplement. i know the majority of the ingredients are safe to take, but not sure aboutthe highlighted ones. can anyone tell me if these are okay (or if i'm mistaken about the ones that aren't highlighted as well)? tia, ladies!!!

Fruits and Vegetables
(Blueberry, cranberry, grapeseed, strawberry, raspberry, pomegranate, bilberry, alfalfa, carrot, beet, broccoli, acai, chokeberry, apple, apple pectin, maqui, grape skin, black cherry, tomato, barley, celery, chlorella, black currant, artichoke, mango, pineapple, spirulina, chlorophyllin, dandelion, wheat grass, green tea, milk thistle, siberian ginseng, ashitaba, bing cherry, elderberry, goji, grapefruit, mangosteen, spinach, tart cherry, and papaya)

by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
H.I.S.
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Should be fine if they are a quality supplement.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2010 at 8:19 PM

From

Herbs to avoid while breastfeeding

Herbs that may be harmful to mom and/or baby

Ginseng (Panax ginseng)

and

Herbs and Breastfeeding

Be Cautious About Taking Herbal Dietary Supplements While Nursing

Some herbs are touted as excellent dietary supplements, particularly because they contain microminerals such as selenium and zinc.  While most herbs are safe in small amounts, there is no quality control mechanism to guarantee the dosage or exact ingredients of herbal dietary supplements.  Because a variety of herbs - including pharmacologically active herbs such as ginkgo, ginseng, kava, and valerian - often are added to dietary supplements, taking them can be risky for breastfeeding mothers.  The danger associated with these herbs is that they can cause side effects if ingested in large quantities over time.  For example, large doses of ginseng can give you a "buzz", and when it is discontinued there is a significant withdrawal - similar to that of caffeine withdrawal.  This is often called "ginseng syndrome."  A good rule of thumb is that a nursing mother should not consume a dietary supplement if it is unlabeled, if ingredients are not measured accurately, or if it contains any pharmologically active substances.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 8, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Ginseng is actually one to avoid, as I recall. Kellymom changed the listings so it's harder to find now.

luvbeinamommy68
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 11:36 PM

have you tired the V-8 fusion? i have had the strawberry banana and it was really good. now weather is has the same amount of the fruit and veggies as a supplment i dont know. i just know its good lol!

catholicmamamia
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 12:18 AM

I would be careful with that because of the ginseng! 

Mia~ happily married wife and breastfeeding, babywearing, sleepsharing, clothdiapering sahm

kyriesmommy13
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 12:36 AM
thanks, ladies! i know siberian ginseng is much different (and better for you) than the other types of ginseng. i researched it when i had a few minutes, and the info i found said that, while this type of ginseng is much better than the others, it should still be avoided by pregnant and breastfeeding women.

thanks for the v8 fusion suggestion, but i don't like the taste. i found something different to take instead. thanks everyone :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teachermama81
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 5:23 AM

Have you tried Juice Plus?  It's supposed to be great!

laureng22
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 8:00 AM

Have you tried Juice plus?

Hottubgodess
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I cant do most V8 fusions (I am allergic to tomatoes of all things....) but some of them I can do.  The darker ones have better taste.  Keep trying different varieties.  :)

Medications and Mother's Milk - Group Owner  

Are you tired of BAD Breastfeeding information?  Go to www.llli.org and search the resources for REAL CORRECT info. 

I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam ...... Thank you Popeye!   BEHOLD!  THE POWER OF BREASTMILK!!!   Proud momma of two self weaning, extended breastfed preemie boys!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN