Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

cabbage leaf for clogged milk duct?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 2:56 PM
  • 19 Replies

anybody else hear of this? i'm getting ready to try it.... thank goodness my mom lives a mile away and grows cabbage! what do i do, just wilt it and apply? i think i might actually have 2 clogged ducts right now :(

Dixie

PixieFluff Cloth Diapers and Nursing Covers ROCK!

by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IloveNix
by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I could be wrong, but I thought cabbage was to help dry you up!

I think to clear a clogged duct, you nurse, and massage!

hm397
by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 3:02 PM

I thought cabbage made you dry up whether by ingesting or putting on breasts. I'm not sure though. When I had a clogged duct I just positioned baby so that her chin would kind of massage that spot when nursing. Hopefully the more experienced mommas have more advice for you.

Brookesmom10
by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Quoting hm397:

I thought cabbage made you dry up whether by ingesting or putting on breasts. I'm not sure though. When I had a clogged duct I just positioned baby so that her chin would kind of massage that spot when nursing. Hopefully the more experienced mommas have more advice for you.

Use the babies chin to get it unclogged! Get however you need to, to get the LO's chin where you are clogged I have heard of people laying the baby on the bed and hovering over baby becuase clog was on the top of the breast! Good luck I know they hurt I had a clogged duct when my milk first came in it was not fun! I cried until my DD got it unclogged and it never came back.

unsuspected
by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Cabbage leaves are for engorgement ... I really don't know what they would do for a clogged milk duct.  But, I'm right there with you, me right brest feels like it is clogged too.  It sucks, but the best thing you can do is massage it.  It hurts but that's all I've ever found that works.  Hot showers, hot compresses (let a disposable diaper soak up HOT water and it will stay hot on you for a good 15 minutes!)  ... that's pretty much it.  Sorry.

luckymomof6
by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Nurse, nurse, nurse....  That is the answer to clearing a clogged duct.  Good Luck!

dixie383
by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 3:24 PM

now i have flu symptoms too!! i'm not sure about the fever but i have everything else! waaaahhhhhh!crying

kenzsmama
by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 3:34 PM
Lll told me when that happens flu symptoms it could be turning into masitis and should get atb from a doc for infection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Christina807
by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 3:34 PM
Cabbage leaves are for engorgement. When I've had a clogged duct I get a wash cloth damp with warm water and put it in my bra. I nurse from the clogged side first and have the baby's chin pointing toward the clog. Then massage the clog while the baby nurses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 17, 2010 at 3:54 PM

By putting on...you can eat it.

Quoting hm397:

alexmom07
by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 4:01 PM

I agree with the nurse nurse nurse   AND warm compresses....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN