Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it ok to give a 1year old silk almond milk?

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 12:26 PM
  • 23 Replies

well Coby will be 1 soon and he is not taking to the whole milk. I hate it myself... 

but i drink Silk almond. 

Is it ok to give it to him and how much a day ? 

thanks 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vegetarianmama
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM

I would say no.. But don't quote me on that. I would really talk to your ped about it.

Lbluv20
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM

I dont see why not, i would jsut start with a little though, to make sure he isnt allergic or anything.

Forget-me-not
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 12:29 PM
Yes, almonds are seeds from the almond fruit ( similar to peaches ) so it's ok. My son started getting it on ocassion at 11 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Forget-me-not
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 12:30 PM
I would somehow try and get an avacado in daily since almond milk is not as fatty as whole cows milk and he still needs healthy fats.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CelestialVal
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 12:33 PM

My sons ped told me that almond milk is less likely to cause an allergy than soy (given their not allergic to nuts of course), but the problem is that they don't get the protein that cows milk has. He told us that it was okay, but that we needed to make sure he was getting protein from other food sources, like lean meats, cheeses, yogurt, beans(my son loves beans),lol

IamLilysMom
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 12:48 PM

I let my DD have some on occasion as a sweet treat. It tastes like a shake to me. :) Yum!

pretttynpink88
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2010 at 1:07 PM

my pedi said that it was fine!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 21, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Yeah you can give it to him...he doesn't NEED any other milk but yours if he is still nursing 3 times a day minimum.

Is there a REASON he has to have milk?

mom3bc
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Yeah you can give it to him...he doesn't NEED any other milk but yours if he is still nursing 3 times a day minimum.

I thought babies need milk when they come off formula or in our case getting weaned. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 21, 2010 at 2:18 PM

We are not cows we do not need cows milk, if you are weaning then once he is down below 3 nursings a day then he will need extra calcium and Vit D and protein, those things can be got from many sources, Kids organge juice has them. 

You know just because he is a year old doesn't meant you have to wean, many moms don't realize this.

The reason FF babies switch to cows milk at 12 months is because formula doesn't adjust to a toddlers needs, formula is very high in nutrients and THAT much is not needed anymore, and formula is expensive cows milk less so, this is why they switch them.  becuase they CAN not because they have to.

Quoting mom3bc:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I thought babies need milk when they come off formula or in our case getting weaned. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)