Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Throwing a fit at the breast.

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:01 AM
  • 7 Replies

I noticed this a few days back, but I didn't think anything of it until today.

My son has gotten into the habit of pulling himself off the breast, crying, latching back on, suckling for a few seconds, and then doing it all over again. I'm pretty sure he only does it when he's not satisfied with how much he's getting (or not getting..) from my breast. He's a bit bottle spoiled, and I think he likes how fast the milk comes from a silicone nipple rather than working for it from *my* nipples. I can't completely remove bottles from the scenario, because that's the only way he can eat when I am at work, and I work 8 hour shifts. Asking him to go that long without eating just to exclusively breastfeed is out of the question. But is there any way to stop him from throwing these fits? I pretty much never give him a bottle myself when I'm home. He only gets them when being babysat, or when DH gets up in the middle of the night with him.

Is this an example of self weaning, or is he just all too comfortable with the bottle at this point?

Asher Levi Warren - 07.09.10 - Born to RAWK!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:08 AM

It is absolutely postively 100 percent NOT weaning.

Quoting izzystardust:

I noticed this a few days back, but I didn't think anything of it until today.

My son has gotten into the habit of pulling himself off the breast, crying, latching back on, suckling for a few seconds, and then doing it all over again.

Six weeks from the profile? NORMAL. Growth spurt. GO WITH IT.

I'm pretty sure he only does it when he's not satisfied with how much he's getting (or not getting..) from my breast. He's a bit bottle spoiled, and I think he likes how fast the milk comes from a silicone nipple rather than working for it from *my* nipples.

Exactly. So YOU are never to give a bottle again. When you are home nothing but breast. you need to outstubborn him.

I can't completely remove bottles from the scenario, because that's the only way he can eat when I am at work, and I work 8 hour shifts.

NOT TRUE. He can have a soft spout sippy. Could have from birth. Remove the spill proof valve. Caregiver tips, baby sips. It removes the sucking satisfaction, so he'll take it but will want the breast. No pacifiers, either.

Asking him to go that long without eating just to exclusively breastfeed is out of the question. But is there any way to stop him from throwing these fits? I pretty much never give him a bottle myself when I'm home. He only gets them when being babysat, or when DH gets up in the middle of the night with him.

Is this an example of self weaning, or is he just all too comfortable with the bottle at this point?

He's too comfortable with the bottle. NOT WEANING. You can omit the thought of weaning before the age of one; he will not do it. They can be LED to it through bottles or too many solids but WILL NOT do it on their own.

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:10 AM

maybe the nipple your using may have something to do with it? not sure. Have you considered breastfeeding at night as well, only using a bottle when absolutely necessary. Does he do it every time he nurses or just at certain times? Do you think he may also be teething? Mine felt like they were born teething.

izzystardust
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:12 AM

Quoting Precious333:

maybe the nipple your using may have something to do with it? not sure. Have you considered breastfeeding at night as well, only using a bottle when absolutely necessary. Does he do it every time he nurses or just at certain times? Do you think he may also be teething? Mine felt like they were born teething.

I generally try to only breastfeed at night, relying on DH giving a bottle only when I'm simply too tired to do it. He doesn't do it EVERY time, but most of the time. Usually when he's noticed there isnt a whole lot coming out at once.

I've been wondering if he isnt teething already, also. He's been drooling a lot, and really fussy. But I was told seven weeks is way too early for that.

Asher Levi Warren - 07.09.10 - Born to RAWK!

jkleinman
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:14 AM

DD does this some times.  When I start getting frustrated with her doing this, I sit her up, burp her, give her a paci for a few minutes, than start again.  It usually does the trick and she stops.  Good luck.

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:29 AM

Quoting izzystardust:

Quoting Precious333:

I generally try to only breastfeed at night, relying on DH giving a bottle only when I'm simply too tired to do it. He doesn't do it EVERY time, but most of the time. Usually when he's noticed there isnt a whole lot coming out at once.

I've been wondering if he isnt teething already, also. He's been drooling a lot, and really fussy. But I was told seven weeks is way too early for that.

Nope!!! not too early for teething! Mine both got teeth pretty early, and sometimes teething can go months and months before a tooth pokes through! So I bet its teething. Maybe get a teething ring and use that before you breastfeed, or even some teething tablets (they dissolve in the mouth.). I think it may be too young for orajel or tylonel to be used for teething.

Julia: wife of Drew, christian, pro-life, homebirthing, AP mom of Damien and Gavin, baby Harley 2/09-3/09, Mason due 9-11-2010  Isaiah 66:10-13

jeng1980
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:46 AM

Babies are born with teeth so it can never be too early for teething.  I agree that it takes months of teething sometimes before a tooth actually comes through.  If he is drooling and fussy, I would def think that it's teething.  He may also have a sore throat or his ears may be hurting.  There's a lot of that going around where I'm from right now.  Just a thought.  Also, it sounds like it could be a growth spurt.  Latching and unlatching is a way they increase milk supply in mommie.

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting izzystardust:

Quoting Precious333:

Nope!!! not too early for teething! Mine both got teeth pretty early, and sometimes teething can go months and months before a tooth pokes through! So I bet its teething. Maybe get a teething ring and use that before you breastfeed, or even some teething tablets (they dissolve in the mouth.). I think it may be too young for orajel or tylonel to be used for teething.

Jennifer Gooden-Mom to 3 beautiful children

gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Quoting izzystardust:

I've been wondering if he isnt teething already, also.

BINGO!

He's been drooling a lot, and really fussy. But I was told seven weeks is way too early for that.

Not at all. Some are born with teeth!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)