Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how long til period becomes regular after it returns?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:41 AM
  • 5 Replies

My period came back last month (5 months PP).   It just dawned on me toda that my period is around 10 days overdue.  My husband and I use condoms every time, and DD i still primarily  breastfed (although solids are starting to be introduced).  When my period came back after I had DS, it was fairly regular off the bat (but I was also not breastfeeding him).  How long does it take for my period to become regular?  Idon't mind not having my period; however it would be nice to have some sort of frame of reference before I break out the pregnancy tests in a panic

Jeremiah Luis (12/2/07)   Evelynne Arlene (2/16/10)

Married to my best friend since 7/22/06

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jeng1980
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:41 AM

It really varies from woman to woman.  I've heard that some get theirs back 6 weeks pp and it is regular from then on.  I've heard that some don't have one for the whole time they are BFing.  It's possible you could be preggo and it's possible that you are just going to be irregular.  Your chances of getting pregnant goes up when you introduce solids even if it's a small amount.

Jennifer Gooden-Mom to 3 beautiful children

riotgrrl
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:13 AM

My midwife said it can take up to a year and I know a few women for whom it has taken longer to get regular again. I don't usually get regular again until a few cycles after I stop breastfeeding entirely.

DragonRiderMD
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:20 AM

No telling, especially while you're still breastfeeding. I started my period back at 5 weeks post-partum, was fairly regular for the most part (skipped a period or two here and there), but they weren't normal cycles -- my luteal phase was very short. I had my first "normal" cycle at 13 months, and at 16 months I'm back to the irregularity I was familiar with before baby.

ladsmom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:27 AM

I got my period back with my first child the week she turned one and it was pretty regular from the beginning.  I (think) I got it back when my second was 11 months but it was very light.  I was concerned that it was implantation bleeding it was so light.  I waited a week and took a pregnancy test (negative thank the Lord).  My son will be 1 next week and if I had the return of my monthly I should be due for it around then. I've heard that when you are breastfeeding there is no normal.  My little guy still nurses a lot so I am not looking for it to be anywhere near "normal".  I would take a pregnancy test just to be sure, they are cheap and it's better to know than to wonder

gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Varies. Mine didn't return to what I consider normal for YEARS... I think it was about seven years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)