Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

issues with BFing a 8 month old

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:22 AM
  • 14 Replies

My daughter is 8 almost nine months old and I swear she wakes up through the night like a new born baby. She takes the breast each time she wakes up and she sucks all night long. (if I would let her) My nipples are so sore and I dont think it is normal for a baby her age to wake up several times in the night to nurse. The Dr Said she does not need to eat in the night and I could let her cry it out, but being that I work full time I want as much sleep as I can get so I just give her my boob and we switch sides at least thre times in the night. Any advice or tips? anyone else going through something like this?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RedMomma4
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:31 AM
Sorry, i have no advice for you. My 7 month old ds is like this. He wants to nurse all night long and i end up waking up with sore back from sleeping on my side all night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trebelcleff
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:52 AM

I'm no help because our 11 month old does the same thing.  Only difference is our pedi seems fine with him still waking like a newborn.  I can usually get him to sleep (or even daddy sometimes!) around 9pm, then he inevitably wakes as soon as I lay down to get comfortable (whether it's 1am or 10pm LOL).  I try to stay awake long enough to get him back to his crib, and if I succeed, I usually don't remember getting up to get him.  We've tried the CIO, but it doesn't work with him and he just gets hysterical.  Around 3 am, he usually wakes up for a feeding and nurses the rest of the night (until between 6 and 7 when he wakes for the morning).  I try (to no avail) to switch him back and forth when he wakes up for a couple more minutes of sleep.  Then we're off for the day!  He goes to daycare, so part of our night problems is due to reverse cycling.  I try to feed him as much as I can when he is home either in the evenings or during the day during the weekends.  I feel like a zombie, but we're starting the weaning process, so I feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel!  I like BFing, but not all night!  So I'm no help, but I understand how you feel!

lifetimelove
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:05 AM
I think I see this post every other day. Normal 9 month behavior, and it will pass. I call it the triple threat age: growth spurt, major developmental leaps (both physical and cognitive), and teething.

I'll tell you what I tell every mom at this age (including myself). Go with it, this too shall pass.

And the doc is wrong. It's often VERY important that they nurse at night at this age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvplay
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:11 AM
My dd is the same age and does the exacy same thing! I also work fulltime and I just suck it up to reverse cycling and that she likes the comfort of being close to mommy. I am just going with it, she knows what she needs, even if I don't get sleep!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jeng1980
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Totally agree on this.  It's normal behavior because mine did it too.  Just be thankful you have a normal baby. :)

Quoting lifetimelove:

I think I see this post every other day. Normal 9 month behavior, and it will pass. I call it the triple threat age: growth spurt, major developmental leaps (both physical and cognitive), and teething.

I'll tell you what I tell every mom at this age (including myself). Go with it, this too shall pass.

And the doc is wrong. It's often VERY important that they nurse at night at this age.

Jennifer Gooden-Mom to 3 beautiful children

gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:18 AM

It IS normal for a baby her age to wake, actually. She's 100% normal and there's no reason to change things IF you are OK with it. Doc is very incorrect... they usually are regarding nursing.

Lansinoh is still your friend.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:59 AM

This is very normal for a 9 month old, there a BIG growth spurt at this point...doctors are BFing idiots, he has NO way of knowing if your baby needs that milk or needs to nurse period.  Never take BFing advice from a Ped alone.

kyriesmommy13
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:01 AM
this!

Quoting lifetimelove:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kimmybeth
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:27 AM

First, I've learned recently that I can feed her the left breast while sleeping on the right side.  It's slightly different at first, but I'm used to it now.  It's made things SO much easier!  Not sure if everyone can as I've not heard anyone talk about it but maybe you could try that to see if it helps?

My dd just turned 10 months old and she's been waking more at night as well.  I'm sure it's mostly for comfort but I'm completely against CIO so I won't be doing that.  Not to mention dh works & I don't want him having a crying baby lying next to him.  I wish she's stop waking so much for that as well but I'm hoping it's just a phase so I'm willing to ride it out.  Just wanted to let you know that normal or not, you're not alone.  Usually there are at least a couple people going through something similar so don't ever feel alone.  :) 

Chany2198
by on Sep. 2, 2010 at 10:55 PM
It just seems like a bad habbit to form. I mean we are out of town and shee will not go to sleep unless she nurses and then I try to get my nipple out of her mouth because it hurts and burns and then she wakes up crying. Then back to step one. I am very annoyed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)