Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why does he refuse the Hind?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:43 AM
  • 12 Replies

My DS (6weeks) has been EBF since birth and he's been doing great with only a few minor hiccups along the way, but recently he's started this thing where he'll only feed for about 5 minutes basically until the foremilk stops or slows down & he pulls off. So I burp him & try to get him back on the same breast to get hind milk. He will fuss and literaly arch his whole body to get away from that breast & isn't happy until he gets over the other breast and gets more foremilk. I was worried that he wasn't getting any hind milk at all and the last few days I've noticed some green poops so I'm afraid that may be the case. But it's not like overactive let down, he just refuses to feed for longer then 5 mins a side, then he gets pissed if the milk isn't coming out at the speed he likes. This is really frustrating in the evening. He literally cries for about 2 hours every night, after sucking down all the foremilk. Then he will suck for a few seconds, get pissed, pull away and scream, then I put him back on, or try switching sides, he does it again & again. This happens EVERY NIGHT for HOURS until he just gets tired and zonks out finally. What can I do?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicole-momof4
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:53 AM

I really don't have any advice for you, but good luck momma!bump

maddisont05
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:59 AM

growth spurt?

lifetimelove
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:02 AM
Growth spurt, it's normal. That's how they up supply. I wouldn't qworry too much about it. Offer the same side, if he refuses, offer the 2nd. Not really a big deal, he'll get over it soon. =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Forget-me-not
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:03 AM
My son also likes my foremilk better as wel and he's 14 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Smejk6
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:04 AM

I am having the exact same thing happening right now and my son will be a month....interested to see what others say

mine has been doing this since 1 week though and has had nothing but green poop.

jeng1980
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Babies go through a constant growth spurt from day one to week 6.

Quoting Smejk6:

I am having the exact same thing happening right now and my son will be a month....interested to see what others say

mine has been doing this since 1 week though and has had nothing but green poop.

Jennifer Gooden-Mom to 3 beautiful children

jeng1980
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:08 AM

It sounds normal to me as well.  Just keep nursing and be as stubborn as he is. :)

Jennifer Gooden-Mom to 3 beautiful children

Mom_to_Skyler
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Quoting lifetimelove:

Growth spurt, it's normal. That's how they up supply. I wouldn't qworry too much about it. Offer the same side, if he refuses, offer the 2nd. Not really a big deal, he'll get over it soon. =)

Yep.

My son was attached to me from 6pm until 10pm when he was 6 weeks old.  So that's normal for me :)

SullivanMommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Sometimes my babies would get upset when the milk slows down. Theyre all into it when they dont have to do alot of work and then they realize that its slowing down and they have to be there a while. Especially when they got older. They didnt want to sit still long enough. Im sure he'll be ok, he might spend more time on one breast during nap feedings or nightime feeding. As long as he has enough diapers i wouldnt worry too much.

trebelcleff
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Definitely try to ride it out... ours (11 months) insists on switching sides about twenty times during his evening feed, so I just remain stubborn, switch him when he gets fussy about it, the switch back again in a few minutes.  It's super annoying, but eventually he just gets tired and sleepy and will stay latched for longer than a minute (LOL).  Just try to hang in there even though it's frustrating!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)