Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone get tired of breast feeding and then feel bad about it? Update

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:18 AM
  • 11 Replies

I'm officially tired of breastfeeding my 5 month old. He'll be 6 months next Thursday. So I have a week until my goal. I started supplementing with formula a week ago. Hadn't planned to do that until after the 6 month mark and have him weaned to a cup by 7 months. Now I've given him a bottle. (I have this strange hatred for bottles. IDK why I just do.) I already want to throw it out the window. I can't even find the 6 month sippy cups like I had with my son. It's only been what 10 months at the most since I had last bought one and I can't even find them any more. I'm getting so off topic, sorry. I'm tired of nursing because it feels like he is on my breast all day. Every 30 mins to and hour for 30 mins to an hour. I can't get things done. I can't spend to much time playing with my oldest and he of course needs and wants my attention too. He's only 2. I want some time away from him (my BFer) so I can get away with my husband now that he's home without getting the call that he sucked down all the milk that I had spend days pumping so he'd have a enough for a couple of hours of get away time. I never get it. I have to have him with me. The longest I have successfully got away was Sunday night when my husband and I went to the movies and He had formula.

Anyways I feel bad giving him a bottle. He doesn't get the mommy cuddle time like when I nurse. He'll eat fromt he bottle and then want to nurse. Not because he's hungry, but just for the comfort. He screams until I pick him up and then zones straight for my nipples. He won't even suck sometimes. He just likes holding it in his mouth. I feel so bad for him. But I just sick and tired of breastfeeding. Anyone else go through this? Any advice or tips? Thanks in advance

so I took the advice of a couple ladies and decided to nurse when I feel like it otherwise bottle feed. I'm a lot happier. So that's what I'll do from now on. It's been working out so far so yea.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LKRA
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Sometimes. :) Sometimes I wish she would stop. And then the feeling goes away.

If you're that tired of if this soon, I'd recommend stopping. :) It's supposed to be enjoyable, not a chore. I've always had the stance that breastfeeding should continue for as long as both parties are happy. You are not happy.

LorisChar
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:49 AM

I agree with LKRA. If your not enjoying it anymore and it's more of a chore, stop. I do have these feelings every now and then (I think we all do). But thankfully mine go away, usually after he's taken a couple hour nap and I get my "break"  :)

kyriesmommy13
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:50 AM
i've gotten tired of it, but pushed through for my daughter. if you're feeling regret, it's not too late to go back to breastfeeding. 6 months is growth spurt time! you're almost over the hump!! it only gets easier from now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sweet_Britt
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Absolutely, but I don't get to nurse. Im pumping for my son who's in the NICU and I have feelings of wanting to stop EVERYTIME I pick up the breastpump or am standing there washing parts or standing there washing breastpads.

I never quit though and wont. He needs my boobie milk sooooo much right now, that actually stopping is NOT an option.

Kimmybeth
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:07 AM
I only feel that way at night. But I love knowing I'm doing what is best for me as I feel parenting is about my kids & not me.
We rarely get away. Like twice a year. That can be trying but I don't have much since moving in the way of babysitters. No to mention lack of money for just going out. Besides I love my kids' company.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Quoting GoddessNDaRuff:

I'm officially tired of breastfeeding my 5 month old. He'll be 6 months next Thursday. So I have a week until my goal.

Good for you!

I started supplementing with formula a week ago. Hadn't planned to do that until after the 6 month mark and have him weaned to a cup by 7 months. Now I've given him a bottle. (I have this strange hatred for bottles. IDK why I just do.) I already want to throw it out the window. I can't even find the 6 month sippy cups like I had with my son. It's only been what 10 months at the most since I had last bought one and I can't even find them any more.

Probably due to BPA issues.

I'm getting so off topic, sorry. I'm tired of nursing because it feels like he is on my breast all day. Every 30 mins to and hour for 30 mins to an hour. I can't get things done.

That's endemic to being a mom... Push "ge4tting things done" out of your mind for the next decade or so. **grin**

I can't spend to much time playing with my oldest and he of course needs and wants my attention too. He's only 2.

Hmm. A sling would help. See, weaning just means you have to sit and bottle feed.

I want some time away from him (my BFer) so I can get away with my husband now that he's home without getting the call that he sucked down all the milk that I had spend days pumping so he'd have a enough for a couple of hours of get away time.

The sitter is overfeeding, then. Find someone who GETS that baby gets ONE ounce per hour, no more. Or let them give formula. But tell themn you are NOT coming home for less then BLEEDING.

I never get it. I have to have him with me. The longest I have successfully got away was Sunday night when my husband and I went to the movies and He had formula.

Anyways I feel bad giving him a bottle. He doesn't get the mommy cuddle time like when I nurse. He'll eat fromt he bottle and then want to nurse. Not because he's hungry, but just for the comfort. He screams until I pick him up and then zones straight for my nipples. He won't even suck sometimes. He just likes holding it in his mouth. I feel so bad for him. But I just sick and tired of breastfeeding. Anyone else go through this? Any advice or tips? Thanks in advance

I was sick and tired of breastfeeding gtwo weeks in and NEVER liked it. I did it because the alternative was absolutely no more convenient.

Teach the sitter how to feed... three ounce bottles, and food is the LAST answer to an unhappy baby. Always the LAST.

gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:25 AM

I will suggest one more thing. It never needs to be all or nothing. Nurse when you want; Dont' when ytou don't want. Expect baby WILL NOT cooperate.

la_bella_vita
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:35 AM

I felt that way with my first son. My first baby nursed but not excessively. My son nursed every hour. The doctor kept saying it would stop but it did not and I had to stop early because I could not take it anymore. It actually was making me depressed.

cuppycake91
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 11:59 PM

I get like that sometimes, expecially when she has growth spurts or just wants to comfort nurse forever. I will get frustrated and want to go grab the formula soo bad..but i want to at least make it to 6mos....3 more mos. to go :)

momtosammyt
by on Sep. 2, 2010 at 10:04 AM

sorry you are feeling this way mama.  just remember that this time of  your baby's life is just a tiny speck on the whole life timeline and it will be over and near forgotten soon.  My baby is 11 months old and I also have a three year old.  i get tired of nursing too, not enough time in the day for everything that needs to be done, but like gdiamante said, there will never be enough time with kids!  anyway, i wanted to say that i have not been "out" since before this last pregnancy.  Not even a grocery shop by myself.  I get sooo frusturated sometimes but i remind myself that this time is short and someday i will be wishing my babies were more needy.  good luck, i have a feeling you can push through this and carry on nursing.  Damn formula companies don't need the extra support :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)