Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why can't i pump?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:30 AM
  • 22 Replies

my daughter is almost 2 months old and i was pumping alot but now i let her feed and then try pumping and nothing comes out? why????

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SullivanMommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Are you pumping immediately after bf'ing?

baby7810
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:40 AM

i am now. but before she would eat from one side and i would pump the other. so now thats she is eating a bit more i wait till after. but eveen when i know she is gonna miss a feeding i try pumping and nothing comes out. but it does if i squeeze at a certain spot

Mom_to_Skyler
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Well....milk letdown is triggered by hormones.  You look at your baby and feel love and then your milk lets down (Yay Oxytocin!).

When you look at a pump you don't feel love.  You may feel nothing or you may even feel pressure which is worse (fight or flight, your body closes up).  This is way many women don't respond to a pump.

If you pump while the baby is nursing you get the benefit because the milk is already flowing for your daughter.

Try looking at pictures of your daughter when you start to pump.  Have you hubby tickle her and get her to giggle in the other room.  Anything to trigger the emotional response to your daughter.

(Now.....that said......I am a cow and just thinking about my pump makes my milk let down.  I'm an old pro at pumping.  But I understand how it just doesn't work for some women.)

SullivanMommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Ok first im gonna say, shes 2 months, she should be nursing on both sides. I would say stop pumping at her feeding time. Second, As far as the pump goes, you should speak with an LC about it. I know for me, if im pumping i have to let it go for a couple of minutes before my milk lets down. Its just not as quick as if the baby were nursing.

Quoting baby7810:

i am now. but before she would eat from one side and i would pump the other. so now thats she is eating a bit more i wait till after. but eveen when i know she is gonna miss a feeding i try pumping and nothing comes out. but it does if i squeeze at a certain spot

Mom_to_Skyler
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Not necessarily true. Neither of my kids ever took both breasts at a feeding.  My son doubled his birthweight at 9 weeks on one breast alone and my daughter was 8 lbs at birth and 16 pounds by 4 months on one breast alone.....

Switching breasts unnecessarily at a feeding runs the risk of the baby getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk.

Quoting SullivanMommy:

Ok first im gonna say, shes 2 months, she should be nursing on both sides.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Your body figures out how much baby needs and supply settels and there is no extra after nursing then, you can still pump one side and feed on the other first thing in the AM or pump a few minutes before a nursing the milk will be there.

What pump do you have...that makes a difference too.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:58 AM

I love that you are trying to help, but sometimes the info I'm seeing is a bit off....babies do NOT need to nruse both sides necessarily.  Some moms only make milk on one side and BF just fine...other moms have twins or more and only nurse one side per child.  Supply is very high in the morning so this would be the BEST time to nurse one side and pump the other.

Quoting SullivanMommy:

Ok first im gonna say, shes 2 months, she should be nursing on both sides. I would say stop pumping at her feeding time. Second, As far as the pump goes, you should speak with an LC about it. I know for me, if im pumping i have to let it go for a couple of minutes before my milk lets down. Its just not as quick as if the baby were nursing.

Quoting baby7810:

Mom_to_Skyler
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:06 AM

I would have loved to do this.......unfortunately I am lacking in the coordination department.....but if I had a third (or fourth) arm I could have managed  :)

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Supply is very high in the morning so this would be the BEST time to nurse one side and pump the other.

SullivanMommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:14 AM

She is wanting to be able to pump. If the baby is only nursing on one side she wont be producing enough to pump. Her breasts will only be producing enough milk for baby to eat at that one feeding and only every other breast at a time.... she wont be getting much to pump. If her baby isnt sending the message to the breast that she needs more, she wont get it. I didnt say she NEEDED to be nursing that much (SHE"LL EAT WHAT SHE NEEDS OBVIOUSLY), but if mommy is attempting to store milk, she has to get the milk supply up.

Quoting Mom_to_Skyler:

Not necessarily true. Neither of my kids ever took both breasts at a feeding.  My son doubled his birthweight at 9 weeks on one breast alone and my daughter was 8 lbs at birth and 16 pounds by 4 months on one breast alone.....

Switching breasts unnecessarily at a feeding runs the risk of the baby getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk.

Quoting SullivanMommy:

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:19 AM
I have nursed 4 babies and ONLY nurse on one breast per session with the rarest of exceptions. (Well, with my first baby, the teacher from the breastfeeding class said to switch after 20 minutes, so I did that for a couple months.) I get engorged to disfigurement the first 6 weeks after birth and switching breasts during the session made the engorgement worse. During the night I usually only nurse on my left side because the baby sleeps in my bed, nursing from the left. When my babies are older, I give up on my right breast all together and just night nurse on the left. (My babies have always doubled their birth weights by 4-6 months.) When a mom nurses twins one on each breast, they thrive just fine without a second breast.

Quoting Mom_to_Skyler:

Quoting SullivanMommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)