Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Having a hard time with thrush

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:54 AM
  • 6 Replies

Hi,

We had thrush a while back and treated with oral nystatin for baby and diflucan for me. It went away for awhile. It came back so I did genetian violet (was still using a nipple shield at this point). It went away for about 2 weeks. Now, I felt like it was back (no white on baby but I can feel it on me-very uncomfortable nursing) so we did genetian violet again (without shield use this time). I figured it never completely went away from last time due to the shield use for some reason. This is day 3 of using the GV this time around and I still feel itchy and uncomfortable in my nipples. They also burn a little when I'm nursing. Am I sensitive to the GV? Has this happened to anyone else? I'm taking probiotics now. Should I continue with the gv for a couple more days or what? I wish this would just go away already!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mollycat03
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:00 AM

I should add that I'm following the protocol for genetian violet as found on Dr. Jack Neuman's link on kellymom

bluerose26
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:02 AM
Whats genetian violet? I bf my daughter for 21 months with a nipple sheild. She wouldnt nurse w/o one. She had thrush one time. GL with your problem i hope u find something to help you get rid of thrush soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:05 AM

GV can take up to 10 days to work for some moms or as little as 2 days...

Now the burning could be a reaction to the GV, it does dry the skin alot

IloveNix
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:07 AM

I have found success with GV. I let it dry and then apply lanolin to keep my nipples from drying out too much!

mollycat03
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:19 AM

It's a liquid treatment for thrush. Seems to be what everyone recommends to use. Worked well the first time. Kudos to you for bfing with a shield for 21 months! Wow. I was so prepared to go that long with mine too, but DD was starting to have problems with it so we tried without and she went with it!

Quoting bluerose26:

Whats genetian violet? I bf my daughter for 21 months with a nipple sheild. She wouldnt nurse w/o one. She had thrush one time. GL with your problem i hope u find something to help you get rid of thrush soon.

mollycat03
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Ohhhh ok. Did not know it could take that long. Went away fairly quick last time I used it. I wonder why it's hanging around now??

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

GV can take up to 10 days to work for some moms or as little as 2 days...

Now the burning could be a reaction to the GV, it does dry the skin alot

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)