Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much and how often for a 9 month old?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:58 AM
  • 15 Replies

I babysit my nephew twice a week, and have no idea just how much I should be feeding him. My sister breastfeeds, so she pumps for the days that she has to work. I usually just warm up one bottle of pumped milk at a time, but I don't know if there's enough in there for his age or if I should combine bottles. He usually gets 4 oz every 3 hours. Is this too much or not enough for a 9 month old?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kyriesmommy13
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:00 AM
sounds perfect!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:07 AM

1-1.25 oz an hour is what you are looking for 4 oz is kinda high but not bad....he could do 3 oz every 3 hours....if she can pump enough to do 4 oz every 3 hours then that is fine to stick with, but its perfectly fine to give less daytime and nurse more when with mom too, we promote this with MY kids when they get older, reverse cycling is great...especially when mom struggles to pump enough.

dosthepost
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Yes, between 3 and 4 every 3 hours is perfect. When my DS takes a bottle we make a 4 oz bottle. He usually takes about 3-3.5 of it, and is hungry 3-4 hours later. 

nicole4ray
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Awesome! I thought maybe I was underfeeding him, because he cries so much when I watch him. But it sounds like I'm giving him the perfect amount. My sister seems to be able to pump plenty, she usually leaves at least 20 oz. with me, sometimes more, and I only watch him for 7 hours! He usually gets 8 oz. in that time. No wonder he's so chunky lol. The other lady that watches him once gave him all 6 bottles in those 7 hours. He had 20+ oz in 7 hours! (My sister has learned not to leave all of the bottles with her anymore).

dosthepost
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Holy cow! 

he probably isn't crying b/c he's hungry... 9 months is a very tough "separation anxiety" age. Just hold him and comfort him :) Does he have a pacifier? Is he on solids? You could talk to your sister about some snacks if you really think he's hungry... 

Quoting nicole4ray:

Awesome! I thought maybe I was underfeeding him, because he cries so much when I watch him. But it sounds like I'm giving him the perfect amount. My sister seems to be able to pump plenty, she usually leaves at least 20 oz. with me, sometimes more, and I only watch him for 7 hours! He usually gets 8 oz. in that time. No wonder he's so chunky lol. The other lady that watches him once gave him all 6 bottles in those 7 hours. He had 20+ oz in 7 hours! (My sister has learned not to leave all of the bottles with her anymore).

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

kyriesmommy13
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:22 AM
i agree!

Quoting dosthepost:

Holy cow! 

he probably isn't crying b/c he's hungry... 9 months is a very tough "separation anxiety" age. Just hold him and comfort him :) Does he have a pacifier? Is he on solids? You could talk to your sister about some snacks if you really think he's hungry... 

Quoting nicole4ray:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicole4ray
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:44 AM

He does use a pacifier, but he spits it out a lot, or my 1 year old steals it from him lol. He also does solids, but not usually at my house. Although he did just start eating puffs. He is definately going through seperation anxiety, and it's very difficult on all of us. He cries so much that he makes my kids cry. My 3 year old says she's scared of him :(

Quoting dosthepost:

Holy cow! 

Quoting nicole4ray:

kyriesmommy13
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:47 AM
could you try wearing him? i wonder if his mom made a recording of talking to him, if that'd help?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicole4ray
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:51 AM

I think the biggest problem is that I have a 13 month old and she still nurses, and he gets very jealous when I'm feeding her. Also I can't really wear him because he is a big kid and it hurts my back just holding him. He weighs around 21 lbs. I'm used to my 18 lb 13 month old lol. I also think it doesn't help that I sound almost exactly like his mom, so he hears similarities in our voices, but can't see his mommy.

Quoting kyriesmommy13:

could you try wearing him? i wonder if his mom made a recording of talking to him, if that'd help?

dosthepost
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Try white noise...

It's usually used for getting baby to sleep, but it's used for that b/c it's a genuinely calming noise to them (it may drive you batty, though). when he's real upset, turn on the snow on a TV or something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)