Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kind of birth control are you on?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:54 AM
  • 19 Replies

We decided to wait a year after Eli is born to TTC our next one. We weren't going to prevent at all, but then I realized that I get so sick at the beginning of my pregnancies, I can barely hold anything down. Probably wouldn't be good for my milk supply, but I only plan on BFing until he is a year.

So apparently I only have a few choices. Depo, which I HATED; the mini-pill which I took with DD but was horrible about remembering to take; Implanon; or Mirena. I don't want the mirena because from what I understand it's more of a surgical procedure which I'd rather not do just to have it taken out in a year.

Is anyone on Implanon? It seems like a good option for me but I would like some feedback from moms who actually use it.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicole4ray
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:57 AM

I'm on the mini-pill, which works great for me. I've only missed one pill in the year I've been on it. (I still can't figure out how I missed the pill, I think I grabbed the pack to take one and then got distracted, put it back thinking I had taken it and them realized the next night I was on the wrong day lol). Good luck finding something, sorry I'm not much help.

JDM31707
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:59 AM

I haven't had the Implanon but a friend of mine did, She got it 2 years ago and had it removed in Jan. She just NOW got her period back, and they've been trying since she had it removed. She loved it but it made her gain weight. I've thought about getting it after I have this baby (our 3rd) but I'm not 100% sure. I had the Mirena for 5 months, it gave me horrible cramps and I was in bed screaming and crying from the pain when I was suppose to have my period. NEVER AGAIN will I have that. On the other hand, my sister has had it for 3 years now and loves it. Depends from woman to woman.

KSDoulaMama
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Lesbianism works reallllllly well for me, haha.

I'd typically suggest the mini-pill, but it's not so effective if you have a hard time remembering to take it. Do you find yourselves to be pretty reliable with condom use? Basic, but effective! Or you could combine condom + minipill that way you're covered (no pun intended lol) just in case of a mistake with the pill...

Melissa, mom to Grace 5-17-10

Breastfeeding, home-birthing, cloth diapering, babywearing doula mama. 

Help a mama out and earn gift cards and prizes for yourself! Sign up for SwagBucks here: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/MKoning

amyjosh8687
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:05 PM
Paragard :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifetimelove
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:07 PM
We use LAM and NFP very successfully
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KSDoulaMama
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Quoting lifetimelove:

We use LAM and NFP very successfully

Don't know why I did not think of this as I used NFP/FAM successfully for years with a previous partner! Very effective if used correctly and you follow all the rules! :) Taking Charge of Your Fertility is the book to read...

Melissa, mom to Grace 5-17-10

Breastfeeding, home-birthing, cloth diapering, babywearing doula mama. 

Help a mama out and earn gift cards and prizes for yourself! Sign up for SwagBucks here: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/MKoning

Sweet_Britt
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:26 PM

I had my tubes tied after this past c-section!

TheMillerFamily
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:26 PM
Implanon is permanent, it goes into your tubes and creates scar tissue so its irreversible.
I recommend the paraguard IUD. Its NOT a surgical procedure they just insert it through your cervix and your done. Takes like 5 minutes Max. Plus it has no hormones so the day you take it out you can start trying for a baby!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CriscoNinja
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:28 PM

I have Mirena, been going fine for me. 

zoeysmom331
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:29 PM

no it's inserted into your upper arm and is effective for up to three years.

Quoting TheMillerFamily:

Implanon is permanent, it goes into your tubes and creates scar tissue so its irreversible.
I recommend the paraguard IUD. Its NOT a surgical procedure they just insert it through your cervix and your done. Takes like 5 minutes Max. Plus it has no hormones so the day you take it out you can start trying for a baby!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)