Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is she nursing enough? 10 mos old

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:15 PM
  • 17 Replies

So my daughter loves to eat.  Table food that is.  If there is food on the table, she wants it.  Lately I've been realizing that we go longer and longer through the day w/o her nursing.  Here's her general schedule (some days its less, some days its more):

midnight:  nurses off both sides after waking

4-5am:  nurses off one side usually refuses second side

9am: nurses off one side for about 5 mins

10:30 or so: naps until noon or 1 and then nurses again for 5 mins or so

4 pm : another nap until 5 or so which sometimes she nurses to sleep other times she refuses and just wants cuddles

7:30 pm: Bedtime, nurses to sleep off one side about 5-7 mins

Now, that's if we are home all day.  If we are out and about doing errands, she can go from 9 am until 4 pm w/o nursing (and YES, I'm offering.  In the car, in a fitting room, in a chair in the middle of the store... no matter where we are, quiet or not she finds things she rather do than sit and nurse.)  On the busy days she is ofter up every 2 hours at night to nurse.

Should I be worried?  Or just go with the flow?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kyriesmommy13
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:18 PM
how much solid food is she getting?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CriscoNinja
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:24 PM
Quoting kyriesmommy13:

how much solid food is she getting?

Usually she eats some of those cinnamon maple puffs (then she smells good all day lol) or some banana in the morning.  Maybe a handful of puffs or 1/2 banana (not tons).

At lunch she will either help me with my sandwich or she'll have some of those gerber graduate ravioli but only about 1/2 makes it to her stomach, she tends to like to watch it hit the floor.

At dinner she'll have some of what we're having, like last night she had about 5 green beans all cut up, and maybe 1/2 oz of pork chop all cut up, and a small scoop (about 1/8 cup) of mashed potatoes.  Again, about half was on the floor when I cleaned her up... :)

She doesn't drink anything besides bf'ing... although she's played with a sippy cup with water, but really isn't digging it yet.

sstengel
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:29 PM

My DD is 10 months too, and she is pretty much the same way as yours.. So I would have to say she is fine, but thats just my  opinion :)

lifetimelove
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:03 PM
Six times a day sounds pretty good. I had los who didn't want to nurse when out and about to. At home, just make sure you nurse before food and you're gravy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom71307
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:06 PM

I would say absolutely NO solids until she has nursed well.  She sounds like she is getting a LOT of solids to me.  Although, my 11 month old barely eats any solids at all...

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Make sure you nurse well before those solids and everythings fine!

CriscoNinja
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:12 PM

The solids she eats are always after nursing. :)

Mom71307
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Then you're fine!

trebelcleff
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:25 PM

I wish mine was like yours!  Ours likes the idea of eating table food, but he really just plays with it.  He's reverse cycled too because of daycare, so he nurses once when he gets home and then for an HOUR (or even two) at bedtime, wakes up when I'm ready to lay down (it never fails... if I lay down and get comfy even 15 minutes after he goes down, he gets up.  If I lay down 5 hours after he goes down, he gets up LOL), goes back to bed for a couple of hours then nurses from 3am to 6am!  What I would give to have your schedule LOL!!!  So enough about that, I think as long as you are offering often and she is nursing before food, it sounds like she is just one of those kiddos that LOVES to eat!  Our first (who was FF) was the same way and ate just about everything starting around 10 months.  This one though has some allergies and apparently prefers me to anything else that might possibly go in his mouth LOL.  Keep up the good work mama!!!

CriscoNinja
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Thanks ladies! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)