Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please respond to this post

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:41 PM
  • 16 Replies

I haven't been getting a lot of responses to my post and I really need advise.  I had mastitis over the weekend and I think the infection is finally working its way out of my breast.  Should it make my sons poop look brownish green?  I am thinking he is expelling the infection.  Please let me know your thoughts.  Thanks

ps. not really fond of doctors the answer to everything is drugs.  this is why I am not calling the doctor.

Ok ladies, thanks for the fast response.  He will be six months next week.  I think you might be right about the teething.  He has been extremely fussy lately.

Here is the low down about the mastitis.  I woke up with pain, fever, chills on sat. pretty much laid around all day drank water and orange juice, I put cabbage leaves on my sore breast.  Woke up on Sunday fever was down to low grade breast still tender.  I did warm compresses and cabbage leaves on and off all day.  Woke up on Monday fever was gone my breast were still sore but not as bad.  Warm compresses and cabbage leaves again.  Today my nipples are really sore rest of breast feels fine.  I didn't call the doctor because I don't have a fever anymore and I feel much better for the exception to nipple pain. 

I haven't started him on solids yet. 

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tml06451
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:45 PM
I have no idea, but here's a bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy8271120
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:46 PM

BUMP!

joni80
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Quoting tml06451:

I have no idea, but here's a bump

wedding countdown

Vegetarianmama
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Quoting Mommy8271120:

BUMP!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ati_13
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:48 PM

I've had mastitis with both my kids and it never changed the color of their poop.

Also, even my uber cruchy, homebirth midwife IBCLC friend recommends antibiotics if the infection doesn't clear in 24 hours because it can abcess super fast.  You DO NOT want an abcess, it's miserable in the extreme.  If you still have a fever and pain I'd recommend the drugs for real.  Sometimes they are needed, and every breastfeeding professional I know (and I've known a lot) say that if natural remedies don't work in 24 hours to get on the abx.

Good luck, mamma.

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:48 PM

no, I'm trying to find info on it, but your babyb cannot get the infection from nursing while you have mastitis.

MDT09
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:48 PM

If it is I wouldn't worry.

Only worry if babies poop is black, red or white.

Ati_13
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Oh, and your baby's poop might be changing colors if he's eating anything but breastmilk... I didn't see if you said how old he was, but if he's taking solids that can affect it.

cs_1498
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:50 PM

I have no idea. I know I had mastitis REALLY badly for about a week and I don't remember it affecting DS at all. I did go to the Dr. though because it got so bad and was aggravating my heart condition. I ended up in the hospital on IV antibiotics and then still had to go back a day later and get a shot of antibiotics because the IV ones didn't work plus I had to take them at home for a week. It was a mess. But anyway, I hope you start to feel better and I don't know how old your DS is but could he be teething? I know that can change their poops sometimes.

lifetimelove
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:53 PM
It shouldn't effect your son's poop.

What are you doing to treat the mastitis? I don't think antibiotics are necessarily necessary, but you'd want to be doing SOMETHING, whether it be taking garlic, collodial silver, or something. I wouuld think...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)