Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Heheheeh- babysitter woes....

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:19 PM
  • 5 Replies

My sitter asked me if I bottle fed my LO at home at all. She said my month old baby fights her about drinking from a bottle, even though she knew that she should be hungry. She suggested I try to give her more bottles at home so she would be more used to it.....

I couldn't help but giggle. I don't want my nursling to prefer the bottle, we use it because we have to, not because we want to! Plus she flat out refuses to take a bottle from me, and my 5 year old isn't mature enough to understand how to feed a screaming baby who doesn't want to eat out of a bottle yet. I'm not trying to be mean, it really can't be helped...but that's what the lady is getting paid for, lol. I'm sure after a while my LO will get used to transitioning back and forth. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Join us! A group for Mom's who are, or have been through a deployment to support one another so we can stay Deployment Strong!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/DeploymentStrong

come home               in love

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MelaniesMama
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Mine got used to it, it took about a month & a half.  she still preferes mama over the bottle.  If I come home when shes in the middle of te bottle, she will stop eating & want the boob! lol

Mom71307
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Baby will get used to it and sitter needs to get over it and try some different holds while trying to give the bottle.

Heather881029
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:08 PM

With my 2nd, he never took a bottle.  My mom kept him because the daycare wouldnt take him until he could eat food and drink from a cup on his own.  They said they had too many kids to "deal" with his bottle refusal.  Needless to say we never used that daycare again.  My mom just did what she had to and I nursed before work, at lunch, and when I got off work and all through the night.

With my 3rd, our daycare had some wonderful workers and they would put the bottle in their arm pit basically and drap my shirt over themselves so he could smell me and take the bottle.  He still never took more than 2-3 ounces at a time but he took it. 

You caregiver can try different things including a cup if needed.  She will just have to get over herself.

XComsGirl
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:24 PM

If the sitter absolutely cannot figure out how to get your baby to take a bottle, maybe you can suggest she use a spoon? My husband had to use a medicine spoon to feed our daughter breastmilk when she was younger. 

~Jackie:
Mother of Ariel (8/2009)

"Never complain of that of which it is at all times in your power to rid yourself."

EC-ing Moms and Dads: http://www.cafemom.com/group/110652

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:48 PM

A BF baby should not be forced to take a bottle either PLEASE have your caregiver read this

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

theres a link on ow to print it, if your babysitter refuses to read it then find a new one becuase she doesn't care about doing her job correctly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)