Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Giving toddler breastmilk

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:56 PM
  • 11 Replies

So I was reading a previous post about older siblings wanting to try bm when they see the mom pumping or whatnot so it got me wondering. My dd1 never actually bf, I pumped for about 3 weeks and the little bit that I did get she would get from a bottle but that was maybe a bottle or 2 at the most a day and I ended up giving up around 2-3 weeks old. Well with dd2 we have been ebf for almost 10 weeks now. My dd1 is 15 months and has never really seemed interested in what Im doing when Im pumping but would it be beneficial then to just give her some bm in her sippy instead of cows milk with her meals?! I guess I never even thought about it before but now Im startng to wonder if itd be better, granted that is if she will drink it but I dont think well have an issue with that since she normally will eat/drink anything!

Mommy of 2 on Earth & 1 in Heaven!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MelaniesMama
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:57 PM

My 3 year old likes BM in her cereal! lol

AllieMad
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I do it!  But I add it to their cereal. 

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Always beneficial!

SoniaL
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:58 PM

It can do no harm and can be very good for her. I give it to my 3 yr old (who never BF) when I can.  It is WAY better for her than cows milk.

SullivanMommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Of course it would be good for her. BUT, your milk changes according to your baby's age and needs. So while youre producing milk for your youngest it will have qualities that are made to support her and her own specific development. I wouldnt replace her normal diet with it. She might not get everything she needs. Adding it wont hurt though!

Mom to 6 boys 1 girl and 1 on the way! Breastfeeding, co- sleeping, disposable diapering, Pro-Choice Mama.

dosthepost
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:00 PM

thats what my dd drinks :) no more cows milk for her.

kyriesmommy13
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:51 PM
yes! it would be beneficial for her to have pumped milk! as long as your older child gets other sources of calcium, she wouldn't even need cow's milk at all. although your milk is tailored for your younger nursling, it is still very healthy and beneficial to your older child. i'd be more concerned about giving an older nurslings (over a year) milk to a younger child (under a year) who doesn't nurse (think donated milk). many mom's tandem nurse with no issues whatsoever :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dekok87
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Awesome thanks for all the advice! I def think Im going to start giving her at least one sippy a day with pumped milk in it.Im trying to get a nice amount frozen since we will be out of town for a weekend soon and need it for my youngest but I def think I can pump once during a feeding so that I can give her a sippy!

kyriesmommy13
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:14 PM
that's awesome, momma!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hill_star03
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:26 PM

i give my 25 month old bm that i pumped for my 2 month old...he only gets like 1-2oz a day though.  I BF him a little past 2 months and it makes me feel fuzzy inside that I can give him a little bit more BM than he got as a baby.  BM is always beneficial no matter the age of the child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)