Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 year old not eating

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:17 PM
  • 10 Replies

My dd has never been super interested in food but she would eat atleast a little something atleast once a day. Now what ever I try to give her she refuses even things she use to like. I guess after she turned one I did expect her to start eating more normal meals. She is still nursing often. Her diaper counts are good and she is still acting the same, anyone else experiencing this? Any advice?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SullivanMommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:19 PM

She could just be going through a phase. Ive had toddlers just comepletely refuse to eat, and then a week later couldnt get enough to eat and ended up growing like 2 inches over night! They will eat when theyre hungry :)

Mom71307
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:24 PM

My son is 11 months and not eating much of anything..... although he never has.  As the pp said, toddlers go through those times when they eat next to nothing and worry you to death and then BAM... 2 grocery store trips a week to meet their needs!

CrnchyMamaCraig
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:00 PM
yeah my 12 month old is doing the same thing. She used to be such a good eater. All you can do is just KEEP offering healthy foods. Don't give in and give unhealthy things just to get them to eat something. They won't starve themselves. My son is almost 3 and he goes through times where I swear I have no idea what he's surviving on to others when he's just downing enough food for a grown person! lol
gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Just offer. Don't make a huge deal of it or you can open the door to battles.

CuSukha
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:53 PM

I defintely don't make a big deal of it but was just wondering if other moms have been through the same thing. She does eat healthy food, she loves fruit and vegetables and she also eats kix and multi-grain cheerios, yogurt, oatmeal but now she doesn't want anything. She will eat her whole wheat teething biscuits and wheat crackers. I'm sure it'll pass soon enough.

kyriesmommy13
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:06 PM
dd went through a phase like that, too. another growth spurt occurs around this time, and i remember dd nursing like a newborn and foregoing most other foods around that age. another thought, has she gotten her one year molars yet? that could cause increased nursing/decreased solids intake. she'll pick up eating more solids again. it can be disconcerting when children change their habits. i know it's always nice to know others have been through the same thing- and we have :)

Quoting CuSukha:

I defintely don't make a big deal of it but was just wondering if other moms have been through the same thing. She does eat healthy food, she loves fruit and vegetables and she also eats kix and multi-grain cheerios, yogurt, oatmeal but now she doesn't want anything. She will eat her whole wheat teething biscuits and wheat crackers. I'm sure it'll pass soon enough.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gruntlings
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:43 PM

At around a year old they sometimes become totally disinterested in purees and want finger foods like small pieces of cheese (if they can chew), over-cooked carrots, peas, etc. Or sometimes they start liking to experiment with some mild seasonings (not things like salt, but things like garlic, etc.) You can give it a try. I wouldn't push the issue. Like others have said, it can cause battles. Just offer a variety. 

My son LOVES it when I give him a plate with a bunch of small portions of different things. Some cut up grapes, some cut up cheese, cut up apples, cut up meat, etc. He'll eat most of the things, or leave a few that he's not in the mood for that day. it's a great way to convince him to try things he hasn't tried before. I just put them on the plate with a bunch of other familiar things, and he tends to try them. 

CuSukha
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:54 PM

I haven't given her baby food in forever she rather just eat food off my plate. I do give her string cheese which she loves but haven't given her any since she started this little strike. I'll try some tonight. She has gotten 4 teeth in this month, I don't think any molars are coming in right now. If I gave her a plate of her own stuff she'll put everything in her mouth at once lol so I don't do that yet. When she has a little more control I'll give her her own plate.

beckerdev
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:59 PM

We are STILL going through this! When Danica hit about one year she went on a food strike. She had LOVED baby food from about 7 months on but all of a sudden she ate almost nothing. Thankfully I am still BF her. She is 15 months old and is still only about 19 pounds. We pretty much have to do "drive-by" feeding while she's playing (I have seen SO many moms do this and swore I would NEVER follow my kid around with food but when your baby is pretty small what else do you do?)

Anyway, we have tried SO many foods and she will LOVE something one day and H-A-T-E it the next. So, she grazes, a bit here and there and nurses at least 5-6 times a day still. I wouldn't worry as long as all else is well, diapers, behavior, growth, etc. Just offer a variety and see what happens!

Gruntlings
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:11 PM

If it's teething, try bringing back the puree, but freeze it and put the cubes in baby-safe mesh feeders. See if the likes that. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)