Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how long at each?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:09 PM
  • 21 Replies

My husband's niece was over the other day and was breastfeeding her son which took less than 10 minutes.  Here I was sitting breastfeeding my one month old - she was still going and it had been 30 minutes. 

So, how long does it take you for each feeding?  Does it get quicker as they get older?  I have four children, including the latest who I am trying to nurse.. but it takes a long time for her (like I said 30 min but sometimes almost an hour).  Being tied down to a chair with the baby for an hour is not a good thing with three others running around (5, 3, 2). 

When I was nursing the older ones (which only lasted a few weeks for each - the first two I returned to work where I had no privacy or time to pump, and the last was just a big boy and I couldn't seem to keep up - and again the time issue). 

Any information or suggestions are welcome.  I'm about ready to give it up again, and I know I should keep trying.  She is 6 weeks old.

Cheri
Wife to Joel
Mom to Alexandra (5), Logan (3), Ian (2), Samantha (1 mo)

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MelaniesMama
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:11 PM

My lo only nurses for 8 minutes.  I know it doesnt sound like a very long time, but if she nurses for longer then that she spits up like crazy.  

LKRA
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Yes, it gets quicker as they get older. Sometimes. LOL

The short answer is baby should nurse for as long as baby wants. No timing, no clocks, no tapping of the foot. Let the kid eat as long as they want.

MelaniesMama
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:12 PM

oh, & shes 8 month old, but its been like that for about 4 months.  The first 4 month I couldnt figure out why she was puking/spitting up so much.  So we do 8 min. nursing sessions every 2 hrs. (sometimes she will go longer then 2 hrs)

littlemommie09
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:15 PM

My baby boy is 10 months and he only takes about 5 min. I would assume your newest will start to get quicker like mine did. It becomes less frequent and shorter feeding times as they get older. Especially when you start solids. I would stick with it! It gets a LOT easier! I know how you feel. I felt like my life consisted of feeding my son and changing diapers when he was young.

Colleen86
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:15 PM
Maybe your baby is just sucking for comfort! If you don't hear any swallowing noises, then pull the baby off because then she will depend on your boob for more than eating.
My son breastfeeds and then pulls off after he's done. Sometimes its just for a snack and sometimes its longer. It depends.
But fgeedings that lasts for an hour? No! That baby is just sucking for comfort after he's done eating!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
XComsGirl
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:18 PM

My daughter used to take FOREVER to nurse when she was younger. It wasn't until about 6 months when I could get a feeding lasting less than 30 minutes. Now, she's 1 year, and she'll nurse about 10-20 minutes depending on how hungry she is and if she wants both breasts. 

~Jackie:
Mother of Ariel (8/2009)

"Never complain of that of which it is at all times in your power to rid yourself."

EC-ing Moms and Dads: http://www.cafemom.com/group/110652

SullivanMommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Sounds kinda like your neice just nurses on demand, which in turn makes for a very sproratic schedule. I do the same since im a SAHM. Baby will eat for a long time at one feeding and then the next time only nurse for half the normal time. I get used to just letting the baby eat whenever and however long they desire. It can definitely be different throughout the day.  Do you know if your baby is just comfort nursing at that point? An hour seems like a long time to be actually feeding.

Ammie25
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:19 PM

I would suggest looking into a wrap. That way you can keep your baby close and give her that comfort whether she's eating or not. Good luck!

mama-w-peanut
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:19 PM

1.) right now baby is 6 weeks old is at a prime growth spurt time so yes baby will eat ALL THE TIME. BUT make sure baby is activly eating and not just lightly midlessly nursing for too long. (all though im all for breast for some comfort for baby, busy moms, sore nipples, and babies mouth/teeth dosent need over nursing. watch/listen for swallowing and restlessness)

2.) most babies will either shorten the length of each feeding or shorten the amount of feedings after about 3 months (this is a generalization keep that in mind)

3.) try nursing with baby in a sling, it takes some practice for both you and baby but is a lifesaver! then you have both hands and can walk and keep up with everything and everyone!

4.) DONT GIVE UP PLEASE!!!! BREAST IS BEST!!! I promise - it will get better after you get past these first 3 months (remember just a generlization) its just a walk in the park - you will wonder why anybody uses bottles and formula!!!

chcon
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Quoting Colleen86:

Maybe your baby is just sucking for comfort! If you don't hear any swallowing noises, then pull the baby off because then she will depend on your boob for more than eating.
My son breastfeeds and then pulls off after he's done. Sometimes its just for a snack and sometimes its longer. It depends.
But fgeedings that lasts for an hour? No! That baby is just sucking for comfort after he's done eating!

I listen for swallowing... she may take a break but she'll still be nursing...

Cheri
Wife to Joel
Mom to Alexandra (5), Logan (3), Ian (2), Samantha (1 mo)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)