Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4mo concerns

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:59 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hi, just looking for some other bf mom's ideas or input about my current situation.  I am a SAHM of 4 children, the oldest 3 were all bf until age one.  My question(s) are concerning my youngest, a 4.5 mo.  He was born via CS, weighing 7.1 lbs.  When we left the hospital, he was down to 6.5 lbs.  At his 1 mo. appt he was 7 lbs, at 2 mos he was 8.13 lbs.  He is currently at 10.7 lbs.  While his gaining to me seems at a snails pace, I do realize that it's better than losing! :)   He nurses around every 3 hrs, has normal wets (6-7) but his stools are another story...he probably has around 3 greenish, mucousy stools a day.  Sometimes he is very fussy right before he passes them as well.  I have looked into the dairy/soy intolerance side of things and have been on an MSPI diet for 6 weeks now.  It seems to have helped a little w/ his fussiness but not with his stools, which are still mucousy.   He is meeting all his expected milestones except for being able to push up on his arms while on his tummy...he is a rather scrawny baby, I'm not sure if that's why :)  and he seems to be growing appropriately lengthwise as well (19.5" @ birth, 24.5" now).

So I guess my questions are...would you be worried about the s..l..o..w weight gain?  Any other ideas on the mucousy stools?  Would meeting w/ a LC would be beneficial in this situation?  Any other ideas/experiences?

His 4 mo checkup is tomorrow, so I'm sure the Dr will address it then, but I wanted to have some other ideas or suggestions if anyone has had experiences similar to mine.  I'm always afraid the Dr will suggest supplementing, and I don't want to go that route, if at all possible.

Thanks for any help!
Jill

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:16 PM
He has gained 4 pounds from the lowest weight you posted and he probably lost a little more in the first week. An average of one pound gain per month is perfect and what he has gained. My first thought on the mucousy poops was cow's milk protein, but you have already eliminated that. Maybe it is eggs, wheat or something else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3monkeys
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:26 PM

I thought a pound a month sounded good too, but then I doubt myself when I look at those evil growth charts he's fallen off of! UGH!  I have been thinking to try cutting out wheat/gluten to see if that helps.

Thanks for replying! :)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Quoting momof3monkeys:

Hi, just looking for some other bf mom's ideas or input about my current situation.  I am a SAHM of 4 children, the oldest 3 were all bf until age one.  My question(s) are concerning my youngest, a 4.5 mo.  He was born via CS, weighing 7.1 lbs.  When we left the hospital, he was down to 6.5 lbs.right at 10% loss  At his 1 mo. appt he was 7 lbs, a bit low but a chance he dropped more csection babies tend to lose more like 13%at 2 mos he was 8.13 lbs. wow gained 1lb 13 oz in a month!! overgaining a bit much!! He is currently at 10.7 lbs26 oz gain thats 3.5oz a week, not too bad.  While his gaining to me seems at a snails pace, I do realize that it's better than losing! :)hes not gaining too slow sweetie the norm is 4-6 oz a week, he is close to the norm   He nurses around every 3 hrs, has normal wets (6-7) but his stools are another story...he probably has around 3 greenish, mucousy stools a daysounds like a foremilk/hindmilk issue to me..he is gaining decently..seriously.  Sometimes he is very fussy right before he passes them as well.  I have looked into the dairy/soy intolerance side of things and have been on an MSPI diet for 6 weeks now.  It seems to have helped a little w/ his fussiness but not with his stools, which are still mucousy. because its from OAL I bet and not from diet  He is meeting all his expected milestones except for being able to push up on his arms while on his tummy...he is a rather scrawny baby, I'm not sure if that's why :)  and he seems to be growing appropriately lengthwise as well (19.5" @ birth, 24.5" now).wow 5 inches..norm is 1 inch a month..so hes overgrowing!

So I guess my questions are...would you be worried about the s..l..o..w weight gain?its not that slow 1/2 oz a week slow  Any other ideas on the mucousy stools?OAL, check out info on forceful letdown on kellymom  Would meeting w/ a LC would be beneficial in this situation?sure why not always a good idea  Any other ideas/experiences?

His 4 mo checkup is tomorrow, so I'm sure the Dr will address it then, but I wanted to have some other ideas or suggestions if anyone has had experiences similar to mine.  I'm always afraid the Dr will suggest supplementing, and I don't want to go that route, if at all possible.if doctor says to suppliment walk out and never go back..4-6 oz week gain is normal he gained barely under that, if a doctor mention supplimenting before saying see a LC or trying to fix the BFing issue instead of creating another issue then he should not be a BF babies ped.

Thanks for any help!
Jill

I'm right here with you, my guy is gaining right at 4 oz a week so just the minimum and he is 4 months, had his appt yesterday..no worries.  I think block feeding would help ALOT

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:39 PM

growth charts will be the death of us moms I swear....were you looking at BF baby ones?

Quoting momof3monkeys:

I thought a pound a month sounded good too, but then I doubt myself when I look at those evil growth charts he's fallen off of! UGH!  I have been thinking to try cutting out wheat/gluten to see if that helps.

Thanks for replying! :)

gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Quoting momof3monkeys:

Hi, just looking for some other bf mom's ideas or input about my current situation.  I am a SAHM of 4 children, the oldest 3 were all bf until age one.  My question(s) are concerning my youngest, a 4.5 mo.  He was born via CS, weighing 7.1 lbs.  When we left the hospital, he was down to 6.5 lbs.  At his 1 mo. appt he was 7 lbs, at 2 mos he was 8.13 lbs.  He is currently at 10.7 lbs.  While his gaining to me seems at a snails pace, I do realize that it's better than losing! :) 

Snails' pace? Heck no, Mom! He's PERFECT. Pound a month is PRECISELY what you want. Nothing broken here.

He nurses around every 3 hrs, has normal wets (6-7) but his stools are another story...he probably has around 3 greenish, mucousy stools a day.  Sometimes he is very fussy right before he passes them as well.  I have looked into the dairy/soy intolerance side of things and have been on an MSPI diet for 6 weeks now.  It seems to have helped a little w/ his fussiness but not with his stools, which are still mucousy.

Some of that will be from teething. Not a huge deal.

He is meeting all his expected milestones except for being able to push up on his arms while on his tummy...he is a rather scrawny baby, I'm not sure if that's why :)  and he seems to be growing appropriately lengthwise as well (19.5" @ birth, 24.5" now).

So I guess my questions are...would you be worried about the s..l..o..w weight gain?

His gain IS NOT SLOW. No more thinking that. It's PERFECT.

Any other ideas on the mucousy stools?  Would meeting w/ a LC would be beneficial in this situation?  Any other ideas/experiences?

His 4 mo checkup is tomorrow, so I'm sure the Dr will address it then, but I wanted to have some other ideas or suggestions if anyone has had experiences similar to mine.  I'm always afraid the Dr will suggest supplementing, and I don't want to go that route, if at all possible.

Thanks for any help!
Jill

Jill, relax. He's perfect. Don't go messing with things. **grin** THe doc will tell you a lot of stuff about growth charts; IGNORE IT. Growth charts are for formula babies and are useless for breastfed babies.

momof3monkeys
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:52 PM

I was looking at Kellymom bf charts :)

Thank you ladies SO much, you have given me the reassurance I needed!  On to the Ped's tomorrow!  :D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)