Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

totally new but kinda need some help

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:20 PM
  • 6 Replies

i had a baby at 33 weeks gestation so she was a preemie... we have done both breast and bottle and i pump around the clock. the last few weeks i havent giving her the boob just a bottle. well last night i was feeling reallt down about her not nursing cause my milk supply is going down big time with just pumping the milk for her. neways i used the breast shield last night and put her on the boob. well i did it all night and she did well she was just hungry constantly obviously b.c my milk supply is low. then this morning i was trying to get situated and she just latched on to the nhipple with no shiel or anything. that was a huge step for her since she was a preemie and it takes more energy for her to do that. so yea...my question is how long will it take for my milk supply to get to the point where she needs it to be??? btw she is almost 7 weeks now!!!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Dani41780
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:39 PM

I don't know how long it will take but doing what your doing is the best way to get your supply back.

Plus increase water, oatmeant, fenegrek and several other things like milk thistle will help.

YOUR supply will increase better by nursing as often as possible (even better then pumping)

WAY TO GO MOMMY! u can do it!

gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Get in bed with her on the breast. You'll be up to par in 24-48 hours.

tashangel31
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:14 PM

thank you ladies

Char07
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:18 PM
Yep, it only takes about a day for baby to up your supply if you give them unlimited access :)

Quoting gdiamante:

Get in bed with her on the breast. You'll be up to par in 24-48 hours.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Keep in mind newborns nurse constantly and she is still kinda a newborn...expect 17-20 hours a day at the breast for a while..this is normal and does NOT mean supply is low.  Fussiness does not mean supply is low..diapers show supply if baby gets 6 minimum wet or messy then supply is FINE

tashangel31
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:34 PM

she nursed at 3ish for about 30 min...and has been sleeping ever since...mabye the milk has started to do better now...lol

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Keep in mind newborns nurse constantly and she is still kinda a newborn...expect 17-20 hours a day at the breast for a while..this is normal and does NOT mean supply is low.  Fussiness does not mean supply is low..diapers show supply if baby gets 6 minimum wet or messy then supply is FINE

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)