Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Air Travel

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:58 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have to go back to TN for court with my ex and am bf'ing my 2 month old. I pump for work as well. We are flying (just her and I) and I wonder what experiences anyone has had with flying and bf'ing and/or pumping, including bringing the pump as a carry on. I am nervous because I haven't flown since I was a little girl so I can't even imagine how all this will work out, especially with all the new rules. Thanks.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armywife1229
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:02 PM

All I know is that you can bring breastmilk/formula in bottles as a carryon with no problem. And it can be more than 3 oz. I don't see why you couldn't bring a pump in your carryon as long as it fit. 

mjp2707
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:10 PM
Def do pump as carry on . The airlines will destroy it. Nurse as the plane goes up and comes down. It will help her ears pop so she won't get fussy. At this age I bet she will sleep the whole flight. I have flown with children multiple ages and this is the easiest
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pixiefunk
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Pump as a carry on no problem. Did it about a year ago, w/my 3 m/o(at the time he is 17 mos now). No one hassled me about bfing bust I was next to my husband. And the pump went through w/no problems(no one even looked twice). I didn't bring expressed milk. But my MIL did the diabetic food carry on, it is part of the same provision.

Alone will be harder, but if you gate check your carseat/stroller(assuming a set) and use them to get everything(I would use a backpack for a diaper/stuff bag and then bring the pump seperately) where it needs to go and use the family line where available you should have no issues.

kyriesmommy13
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:22 PM
i didn't bring my pump when we flew with dd, but i wish. i had the worst case of engorgement EVER after that, my breasts looked and felt like they had small rocks under my skin all over and were almost 3 times normal size. i didn't know how to hand express. i actually had to rip the wires out of my bra because it hurt so bad. i never wore an underwire bra again - until recently anyway, she was 2 months old and she slept both ways so i got very lucky! if your lo isn't sleeping, you should have her nurse during ascent and descent. you are allowed to bring any amount of bm you need, but i would guess your pump counts as a carry on. hopefully someone else will know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:30 PM
I just flew from Ohio to Florida. I wore my baby in a sling and flipped the tail up to cover myself so I wouldn't offend anyone's delicate natures, hah! Trust me, people are usually happy the baby isn't screaming, no matter what you're doing. And so what if there is screaming. Make your baby your main priority and dont worry about people on the plane you will never see again. I'd even tell the person next to you, "I'm nursing this baby on takeoff and landing so her ears don't pop." who's going to give you crap for that? And the drone of the airplane most often puts the baby to sleep, a flying sound machine. I've flown as far as London and it's always been fine, though every time I am a basket case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjimaging
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:35 PM
We just flew and I didn't take the pump. I figured he'd be with me 24/7 so nursing on demand. I nursed the entire flights and he slept the whole time at age 1. I took expressed milk, 6 oz I think. No issues. I forgot it there though so it's in a deep freeze at my inlaws.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifetimelove
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:38 PM
The pump will count as your personal item (instead of a purse) and then take a backpack for everything else. Pumped milk not a problem, just declare it. =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaitsmom1220
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 8:59 AM

These all sound like great suggestions. I am going to wear her in a moby wrap as opposed to bring her carseat and the only stroller we have is the sit and stand because I have a 2 yr old as well. My mom has a convertable carseat that she uses for my nephew (4 mo old) so we will have that for Marleigh while I'm in TN.

Does anyone know if I can wear her the whole ride? I assume I can't wear her through the search area but can I wear the wrap (I usually put it on at home and just wear it to my destination so I'm not putting it on the floor at nasty places ya know)?

I was thinking I might be able to pump at our lay over in Atlanta but its only 55 mins so now I'm worried because I know some airports are big and it might take half that time to find the other terminal right? Also I am thinking of what I'm going to do with her while I pump. I can't hold her (I don't have a hands free pump bra yet) and I won't have a carseat/stroller or anything. Any ideas. I might just push for her to feed at that time (I'm thinking she'll be asleep because its during her normal night time) so I don't have to pump.

I'm sure it will all work out but I just worry.

lifetimelove
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 9:32 AM
If she's with you the whole flight, don't bother pumping. You might be able to wear her through security, I've done it before. You should be able to wear her through the flight. I've heard of their being a rule that baby can't be "attached" to you during takeoff and landing, but it was never an issue for me (and we fly lots)

Quoting Kaitsmom1220:

These all sound like great suggestions. I am going to wear her in a moby wrap as opposed to bring her carseat and the only stroller we have is the sit and stand because I have a 2 yr old as well. My mom has a convertable carseat that she uses for my nephew (4 mo old) so we will have that for Marleigh while I'm in TN.

Does anyone know if I can wear her the whole ride? I assume I can't wear her through the search area but can I wear the wrap (I usually put it on at home and just wear it to my destination so I'm not putting it on the floor at nasty places ya know)?

I was thinking I might be able to pump at our lay over in Atlanta but its only 55 mins so now I'm worried because I know some airports are big and it might take half that time to find the other terminal right? Also I am thinking of what I'm going to do with her while I pump. I can't hold her (I don't have a hands free pump bra yet) and I won't have a carseat/stroller or anything. Any ideas. I might just push for her to feed at that time (I'm thinking she'll be asleep because its during her normal night time) so I don't have to pump.

I'm sure it will all work out but I just worry.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armywife1229
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 2:37 PM

I've worn them thru security, but its not 100% safe to wear them during take-off and landing. Some of the airlines have seatbelt attachments for babies. These are not the same as seat belt extenders! These have a ring that clips on to yours and has the baby in their own belt, on your lap. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)