Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need to ween my toddler!

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:45 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hi everyone!

My daughter is 22 months old. I was all for self weening until I recently found out I'm pregnant. I don't want my unborn baby to suffer developmentally because of my toddler taking most of my nutrients. I'm already pretty frail to begin with, so I don't think my body can handle nursing whilst pregnant or even tandem nursing. She nurses right after she wakes up, to get her to go down for a nap, and right before bed. If I try to lay down with her without bf'ing her she'll throw a fit.

How can I ween my daughter without causing emotional harm? I do know it takes time and is to be down gradually.

I would very much appreciate advice from mother's who have weened toddlers, especially 2 year olds, or anyone in my particular situation!

Thank you so much!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SullivanMommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Ive never had to do it. Heres a bump

gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Quoting minimom424:

Hi everyone!

My daughter is 22 months old. I was all for self weening until I recently found out I'm pregnant. I don't want my unborn baby to suffer developmentally because of my toddler taking most of my nutrients.

OK. That actually is an old wive's tale. If your body waasn't able to suport both, you wouldn't be pregnant.

I'm already pretty frail to begin with, so I don't think my body can handle nursing whilst pregnant or even tandem nursing.

But THAT is a good reason.

She nurses right after she wakes up, to get her to go down for a nap, and right before bed. If I try to lay down with her without bf'ing her she'll throw a fit.

How can I ween my daughter without causing emotional harm? I do know it takes time and is to be down gradually.

Yep. Easiest way at this point is to shorten the nursings by a minute or so every couple of days till gone. Rock her instead once the time is gone but BE FIRM.

She won't like it. But that's not going to cause her emotional harm. She's going to dislike MUCH of what you do.

I would very much appreciate advice from mother's who have weened toddlers, especially 2 year olds, or anyone in my particular situation!

Thank you so much!

gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:09 PM

One other suggestion: DAD gets bedtimes. You might need to drop the nap to get it accomplished, but you can kiss her good night and put dad in charge from bedtime on.

And offer a cup as a substitute in the morning.

ALOUDWHISPER
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:16 PM

I WOULD TRY TO DROP A NURSING MAYBE FIRST THING IN THE MORNING MAKE BREAKFAST & GIVE HER A CUP OF MILK.... NAPTIME MAKE SURE SHE'S HAD LUNCH MAYBE TRY CUDDELING WITH HER AT NIGHT OR IF DAD IS AROUND HAVE HIM DO NAP/BEDTIME DUTY "PRETEND" YOUR NOT THERE IT MAKES IT EASIER IF THEY THINK YOUR NOT AROUND...... ALSO SHE'S STILL YOUNG BUT I WAS PREGNANT WHEN MY DD HIT 14MTHS SHE CONTINUED TO NURSE & I MY NO MEANS HAD ENOUGH VITAMINS WATER ETC IN ME (I COULDN'T SWALLOW PILLS) BUT THROUGH THE PREGNANCY I EXPLAINED TO HER THAT THE BABY IS GOING TO NEED MOMMYS MILK MAYBE YOU COULD TELL HER THE MILK WENT BYE BYE BECAUSE IT HAS TO WAIT FOR THE BABY..... DON'T WORRY TOO MUCH ON THE NURSING WHILE PREGNANT MY DAUGHTER GAVE IT UP ONCE THE BABY CAME SHE WAS 23 MTHS OLD

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:24 PM

I agree BUT it can be done to continue if you want to...baby gets nutrients first, then comes milk, then comes you, so if you have bloodwork done to determine if you are lacking in certain nutrients...you can up those ALOT along with a prenatal and see how it goes...baby and nursling would be fine..its YOU I worry about.

I nurse while preggers the whole time and did fine...

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting minimom424:

Hi everyone!

My daughter is 22 months old. I was all for self weening until I recently found out I'm pregnant. I don't want my unborn baby to suffer developmentally because of my toddler taking most of my nutrients.

OK. That actually is an old wive's tale. If your body waasn't able to suport both, you wouldn't be pregnant.

I'm already pretty frail to begin with, so I don't think my body can handle nursing whilst pregnant or even tandem nursing.

But THAT is a good reason.

She nurses right after she wakes up, to get her to go down for a nap, and right before bed. If I try to lay down with her without bf'ing her she'll throw a fit.

Yep. Easiest way at this point is to shorten the nursings by a minute or so every couple of days till gone. Rock her instead once the time is gone but BE FIRM.

She won't like it. But that's not going to cause her emotional harm. She's going to dislike MUCH of what you do.

Thank you so much!

trebelcleff
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:43 PM

I don't have much advice because we are just starting the weaning process, but our pedi recommended cutting out the morning feed first... I think it generally has less of a "comfort" attachment, so it's easier to do away with than the before nap or bed feeding.  Other than that I can't really help, but good luck!!!

mom-lovingit
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Def cut out the less 'attached' feedings first.  Then nap, then bedtime last.  I developed a nursing aversion when prego with ds.  Took me two months but finally we were down to five minutes each side at night, then two min each side then mostly snuggeling and rocking, then all done.  She didn't even seem to miss it- at that point the nursing was so brief, and I think she could feel my anxiety during nursing- wasn't as cozy.  Over and done at 17months.

tyheamma
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 1:34 PM

The only thing I can say as advice is to feed, and then delay when she goes down to sleep. If she goes down to sleep 5 minutes after she finishes eating, make it 10. If that's working for you, make it 15, and so on, until her feeding times are not quite bedtime anymore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)