Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

blessed thissle & fenugreek question as well as *gasp* formula question

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:27 PM
  • 14 Replies

As my pumping drama continues I have finally gotten blessed thistle and fenugreek.  How many of each capsul should I take a day?  And, how soon should I see results?  Also...  I only have 4 oz for tomorrow so I believe I will need to give her a little formula to get her through the day while I am at work  (sad face.  I actually though of calling off but I don't think I can.)  I have enfamille premium.  Anybody know anything about it?  Much thanx!!

*~*JuLeS*~*

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:39 PM

12 fenugreek daily, not sure the blessed thistle

gone 8 hours?? yes?  Pump 2 times tonight see if you can get 1 oz each time, pump the opposite of nursing tomorrow morning first thing and you should be able to get another 2oz...I think if you pumped about 4 times before tomorrows work AND did the fenugreek you would have enough.

I personally would not use anything with DHA or ARA....organic preferably...dairy not soy...actually I think I'd call in but if not possible....and life depended on it...organic dairy based no DHA or ARA.  Enfamil has the highest DHA and ARA of all formulas...ugh JMO

JuLiJuLes5
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:57 PM

thats funny b/c the container says 'closest formula to breast milk'   why no DHA or ARA?  i feel dumb asking that but i haven't done enough research yet to know about the best formulas.  i guess i've been in denial about my diminishing pumping out-put & keep praying & hoping it will get better  =o(  i'm literally so upset about this that i contemplated quitting my job...  is that crazy or what?!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Quoting JuLiJuLes5:

thats funny b/c the container says 'closest formula to breast milk' read the small print, it says of THEIR formulas...lol, every company claims that and they can becuase it may be THEIR closes formula to BM...keep in mind formulas are missing over 100 ingredients that BM has at a minimum...I guess they are closer to BM than the old formulas or than cows milk alone  why no DHA or ARA? DHA and ARA in formulas are derived from fungus and algae, they are extracted using hexane a neurotoxin, they are the largest cause of intestinal upset and diarhea, google DHA and ARA in infant formula you can find the info, I know that Dayna has that link i feel dumb asking that but i haven't done enough research yet to know about the best formulas.always always know what you are thinking about feeding your child, know the ingredients, know the side effects, know the risks, I sadly didn't know any of it and FF my older 2 kids for most of the time...when its necessary its necessary but know the info FIRST, make an educated choice  i guess i've been in denial about my diminishing pumping out-put & keep praying & hoping it will get better  =o(  i'm literally so upset about this that i contemplated quitting my job...  is that crazy or what?!not crazy I would be thinking about it too, my kids are not allowed formula at all..so I get the deal.  How much do you pump an average each pumping?  How much does she need for tomorrow? YOu have 4 oz , how long do you work tomorrow?

http://www.cornucopia.org/replacing-mother-infant-formula-report/

http://www.flca.info/HTMLobj-153/Contaminants.pdf

Charli627
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:07 PM
With taking fenugreek I can pump about 15-16oz by ten in the morning so if you pump at night you might have enough. If you can quit your job and your SO/DH can still afford everything, yeah that's fine bt if you know quitting will have you seriously struggling then I wouldn't consider quitting it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom_to_Skyler
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:14 PM
Milk tea works waaaay better than fenugreek/b.thistle capsules (for me anyway). It's more effort but well worth it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatieRaeBug
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Personally I would try pumping tonight and tomorrow morning first, and then, if there still is not enough milk, use formula to supplement if needed.  I would hate to know that my baby was miserable while I was at work just because I could not pump enough milk for her. 

I hope that you can pump enough and don't have to worry about it.  Good luck momma.

mitty18
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

12 fenugreek daily, not sure the blessed thistle

gone 8 hours?? yes?  Pump 2 times tonight see if you can get 1 oz each time, pump the opposite of nursing tomorrow morning first thing and you should be able to get another 2oz...I think if you pumped about 4 times before tomorrows work AND did the fenugreek you would have enough.

I personally would not use anything with DHA or ARA....organic preferably...dairy not soy...actually I think I'd call in but if not possible....and life depended on it...organic dairy based no DHA or ARA.  Enfamil has the highest DHA and ARA of all formulas...ugh JMO

I thought it was 1000 MG daily for the Fenugreek as well as the Blessed Thistle...that's what The LC told me and what i have read on this group was well. If thats the case then you shouldn't tell her to take 12 as there are different MG tablets out there. For instance my tablets are 600 MG i take one in the morning and one at night giving me a total of 1200 a day which is what the LC said to do. My Blessed Thistle tablets are only three hundred and something so i take two of those in the morning and two at night time. It really just depends on the MG of each tablet doesnt' it??
Dont' meant to sound like an ass just thought i'd ask..

gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Can't speak to the blessed thistle, but my fenugreek dose was 3000 mg daily. You r LC actually has you taking a small amount, but if it's working stick with it.

Quoting mitty18:

I thought it was 1000 MG daily for the Fenugreek as well as the Blessed Thistle...that's what The LC told me and what i have read on this group was well. If thats the case then you shouldn't tell her to take 12 as there are different MG tablets out there. For instance my tablets are 600 MG i take one in the morning and one at night giving me a total of 1200 a day which is what the LC said to do. My Blessed Thistle tablets are only three hundred and something so i take two of those in the morning and two at night time. It really just depends on the MG of each tablet doesnt' it??
Dont' meant to sound like an ass just thought i'd ask..

Char07
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:52 PM
Dr Jack Newman recommends 3 fenugreek and 3 blessed thistle 3 times a day so 9 of each total per day. Here's the page

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21:herbal-remedies-for-milk-supply&catid=5:information&Itemid=17

sorry I'm mobile and don't know how to post links
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)