Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please Any advice?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:29 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hello,

I am seeking some advice. I am hoping to get something different on here than I have recently. I just had my son Alex on July 28th. The first 2 weeks I could not really breastfeed except for 2 feeds a day due to him being in the NICU and me unable to be with him for all his feeds. I was pumping every 3 hours for 10 minutes. I was told only 10 because in those 10 I would get 4 oz on one side and 6 on the other and they didn't want me over pumping. So he has been home for the last 2 weeks. I have been breast feeding him at every feed. He was consistently eating every 3 hours for about 20 minutes total. He was gaining weight so they said to continue that or feed more if he wants it.

Ever since I have been breastfeeding him at every meal I am in so much pain during let down. It is a sharp consistant pain that start almost to my shoulder and down to the nipple. I was told to change his position and check his latch, did that still nothing changed. I know its not mastitis, I had that with my 18 month old. Not only is the pain agonizing for the first 5-6 minutes of each feeding but the last 2 days I feel empty. I used to be full every 3 hours and now I feel like I hardly have any milk left. And since feeling that the last 2 days he is now eating every 1 1/2 hours round the clock for about 20-30 minutes.

I am hoping to get some answers on what the pain could be and if it sounds like my milk supply is going down. Please if anyone has any advice it is so much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

PS: Wanted to say alittle about Alex. He was born 8 weeks early at 4lbs 8oz, a little over a week ago he weighed 5lbs 3oz and is now 5 weeks old tomorrow. This may be helpful in getting the right advice, not sure. Thanks!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Hannah14
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:54 PM

It always hurts me to let down, I don't like the feeling, it's uncomfortable. If he is 5 weeks, you have probably just developed your letdown reflex recently and are not use to the feeling. And your milk has probably regulated and thats why they don't feel full. As far as him eating every 1 1/2 hours, it sounds normal to me, babies change eating patterns, you may have yourself a comfort nurser.

trebelcleff
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:54 PM

I would guess that it's not so much that your supply has diminished, it has just regulated.  From what I understand it isn't good to feel like they are full all the time, and now at 11 months old, when I pump for our LO I don't feel full at all and can get around 8 oz total.  The pain could possibly be a clogged duct?  Sometimes I get a shooting pain when I get one, and it hurts to high heaven until it gets out (which usually takes me massaging it while I pump)... after that it feels bruised and hurts a bit to nurse (but not too bad).  It kind of sounds like maybe that's what it is, but I'm not totally sure.  Him eating more is probably due to a growth spurt... ours would eat every 3-4 hours one week then feed constantly, literally round the clock, the next.  He still does when he's growing fast.  Hope that helps a bit!!!

gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:01 PM

The full feeling is supposd to go away. The intense pain.. yeah. Been there! It does diminish too.

mommy2boys2010
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Thank you everyone. As for the let down feeling. I don't think thats what is causing the pain. I mean yes it does occur during the let down and for about 5 minutes afterwards however from day one of having the let down it was just a burning feeling at first but then would go away within  a couple of minutes, this is a full blown sharp pain. I have tried the massaging hoping it was a clogged milk duct but nothing has changed. Warm compresses actually make it feel worse if I use it before I start feeding and have my let down. hopefully it will go away soon.. its pretty intense. I am going to try and see what the "foot ball hold" does.. I tried it before and he didn't do well with it but maybe changing to that will help a little with his latch on. Thank you again for all the advice and opinions, it was really helpful.

Rayawni
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:26 PM

When I had letdown in the beginning, like first week it wasjust burning, now I have fullblown boob explosion. Feels like knives are being pulled out from my nipple. Then it goes away after about 3 or 4 minutes and then it starts to feel a little pressure when she draws it out, maybe his sucking is getting a little more powerfull as he gets bigger and you are just have to get used to it?

savannabooker
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:15 PM
My daughter was 6 weeks early and I had to pump for her as well. As soon as she came home and started nursing constantly I would get this blood wrenching pain. It went away after about 3 weeks of her ebfing. This is just my opinion but I think it has to do with your body being use to a pump and how quickly it gets the milk out and with a baby they take their time and suckle differently and its your body getting use to the baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2boys2010
by on Sep. 2, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Thank you for the help.I agree with both of you and hopefully it will ease up with time. Some feeds are worse than others. My supply is going back up too, but I think it is because the last I would say 5 days he has been nursing every 1 1/2 to 2 hours round the clock, day and night! I'm sure he is going through another growth spurt which is a good thing since he is just over 5lbs now. Thanks again for the help!

Mommy to Anthony, Dominic and Alexander
NordicAngel
by on Sep. 2, 2010 at 2:41 PM

The pain goes away in time.

Do your nipples look normal?  Thrush causes sharp shooting pains.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)