Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jaundice

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:05 PM
  • 4 Replies

My son is 8 days old today and has a mild case of Jaundice (his number is 10.1) He has 8-10 wet diapers a day and about 4 dirty diapers a day. I breastfeed only no bottles at all!! The doctor told me today to wake him every two hours and nurse. Its raining here for the past few days so no sun. What else can I do??  He was 8 pounds 13 oz at birth...and is now 9 pounds 2 oz. So I know he is eating enough. Also when I pump how many oz should I be getting from each? I now get 1 oz from each. Thanks for anyone who can help me!!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ajay1007
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:14 PM

don't bother pumping...it's not an indication for what your making and everyone is different.

that all sounds normal if he is pooping and eating that's the best for jaundice.  his numbers are really low and should clear up soon.  good luck!  and when the sun comes out 15 mins should be good.  if it gets bad they will put him under the UV lights, or blanket, but that is all you can do.  feed feed feed that baby!

unsuspected
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Why are you pumping if you are not giving him bottles?

Just keep feeding him when he is hungry and offer him as much sunlight as you can get to and he should be ok.

My youngest was treated for jaundice in the hospital and she was still pretty yellow when we came home but it went away after a few days.

mamaoftwins9197
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:04 PM

It sounds to me like you are doing all you can...he's got a good diaper count and he's gaining weight.  Was is the doctor worried about?  At 8 days old, my DD had LOST 14 ounces and her number was 18.2.  Luckily, that was the turning point for us.

gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Quoting ainsworth3:

My son is 8 days old today and has a mild case of Jaundice (his number is 10.1)

OK. That is very mild and as long as it's heading downward, no worries.

He has 8-10 wet diapers a day and about 4 dirty diapers a day.

Excellent.

I breastfeed only no bottles at all!! The doctor told me today to wake him every two hours and nurse. Its raining here for the past few days so no sun. What else can I do?? 

Nothing really... you're fine.

He was 8 pounds 13 oz at birth...and is now 9 pounds 2 oz. So I know he is eating enough. Also when I pump how many oz should I be getting from each? I now get 1 oz from each. Thanks for anyone who can help me!

Exactly what you should. But if you're not giving bottles and not planning to go back to work, no need to pump.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)