Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*update*help please! fenugreek, pumping @ work bc baby clusterfeeding

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:31 PM
  • 10 Replies

My DS is 4.5mo old, he sleeps 11hrs, gets up at 5:30 for a feeding then is usually up at 7am.  I work 4 days a week.  My mother is feeding to comfort I think.  OR he superfeeds when I am gone (or both- who knows)  He seems to take an unreal amount of ounces when I work.  That won't change- she is older, pretty tired and my 2 y/o acting a little crazy lately.  She is getting her 2yr molars and we live on the thrid floor, near a very busy road so my mom doesn't take them out much.  I don't blame her- dd isn't listening as well lately and she's probably afraid to be alone with the two of them outside- so close to the road.  Back to the point- he had like 4- 5oz bottles today!  I was gone from 8:45 to 5:15 today and I fed him when we woke up and before I left.

I really can't pump more than once during my workday- this plus my 30min drive = anywhere from 7-9hrs away from baby.  I am able to pump about 6oz at work.  I was getting able to get up to 8 or 9 at work.  I have been staying up late to pump again and can get another 6oz or so.  Unfortunately I went one day without pumping at work and not pumping at night for the next three nights so i'm down to 5oz at work and 4oz at night.  I know that this is great but my freezer supply is virtually gone because of the overfeeding.  Will fenugreek help me keep my supply up enough so I can pump once at work and once at night- but not too late (i'm getting very tired) and be able to support his needs AND increase my stock??  (she already mentioned that maybe he needs cereal or one bottle of formula to supplement- she gave her babies formula and cereal at 3mo, so we will be having the "here's why this is our choice and it's not an option" talk tonight)

**UPDATE**

So had the talk with my mom, told her all about how you can overfeed without knowing it because baby wants to suck and bottle+sucking=feeding.  She said that he is hungry- she tries to stretch him out but he gets fussy and unable to soothe.  Mind you he is a REALLY happy, mellow baby who is easily soothed so she may be right.  She tries not to just offer a bottle to get him to sleep befoe naps- usually he will fuss a bit and go down but when he's hungry he wont- then he'll usually take 4oz and zonk out.  She said that he will eat and eat but won't finish a bottle if he's not hungry, or he'll start to play with it.  She also said that the oz measurement is different than the bottle by about an oz less so he had about 16 oz while I was gone.

She supports the reasons for not using formula or introducing solids however I know she thinks that intro cereal will help him stretch longer and use less milk during work.  What do you ladies think of cereal in that sense??  I understand that it is empty calories and solids are really just used for texture in the beginning.

For now I will go into work later and put him down for his first nap.  Pumping at work isn't an issue, it's just the stopping work part to do it.  My area is semi-private (but totally comfortable for me, seperated by a curtain) in a rehab gym- I have to finish treating before lunch is served, find a time where other's aren't treating when I'm treating during lunch (the inconsistancy of my pumping schedule also makes it difficult to find an office space.)  Plus it can take me 30 min or so- I am usually able to get a second let-down after 15 min or so and it takes another 10 to finish pumping then I have to clean up my area and open that end of the gym again.  The second pumping would have to be at the end of the day and I don't know if it's better to pump before leaving (xtra 20min at work) or go home and feed him.??

Thanks again for your support ladies!! 

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
new_mom808
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:50 PM

I had no luck w/ fenugreek helping me create an oversupply. And you dont have a supply issue. Mom HAS to stop overfeeding. has to. She needs to find alternate methods of soothing. Bouncing, walking, cuddling, singing, pacifier. I know it's a lot. Perhaps she would be willing to wear a sling? It's a hands free way to hold and comfort the baby and still be able to tend to the toddler.
The risks of overfeeding reach far beyond just ending the nursing relationship and destroying your stash. She is stretching the baby's stomach and putting him at risk for over eating and obesity when he's older.
check out this link to kellymom:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
Here's an excerpt:

If your baby is taking substantially more than the average amounts, consider the possibility that baby is being given too much milk while you are away. Things that can contribIute to overfeeding include:

• Fast flow bottles. Always use the lowest flow bottle nipple that baby will tolerate.
  • Using bottle feeding as the primary way to comfort baby. Some well-meaning caregivers feed baby the bottle every time he makes a sound. Use the calculator above to estimate the amount of milk that baby needs, and start with that amount. If baby still seems to be hungry, have your caregiver first check to see whether baby will settle with walking, rocking, holding, etc. before offering another ounce or two.
  • Baby's need to suck. Babies have a very strong need to suck, and the need may be greater while mom is away (sucking is comforting to baby). A baby can control the flow of milk at the breast and will get minimal milk when he mainly needs to suck. When drinking from a bottle, baby gets a larger constant flow of milk as long as he is sucking. If baby is taking large amounts of expressed milk while you are away, you might consider encouraging baby to suck fingers or thumb, or consider using a pacifier for the times when mom is not available, to give baby something besides the bottle to satisfy his sucking needs.
  • If, after trying these suggestions, you're still having a hard time pumping enough milk, see I'm not pumping enough milk. What can I do?
gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Quoting mom-lovingit:

My DS is 4.5mo old, he sleeps 11hrs,

Go throw salt over your shoulder... ward off the fates who laugh and wake sleeping babies!

gets up at 5:30 for a feeding then is usually up at 7am.  I work 4 days a week.  My mother is feeding to comfort I think.  OR he superfeeds when I am gone (or both- who knows)  He seems to take an unreal amount of ounces when I work.  That won't change- she is older, pretty tired and my 2 y/o acting a little crazy lately.  She is getting her 2yr molars and we live on the thrid floor, near a very busy road so my mom doesn't take them out much.  I don't blame her- she isn't listening as well lately and she's probably afraid to be alone with the two of them outside so close to the road.  Back to the point- he had like 4- 5oz bottles today!  I was gone from 8:45 to 5:15 today and I fed him when we woke up and before I left.

She's overfeeding. But you knew that.

I really can't pump more than once during my workday- this plus my 30min drive = anywhere from 7-9hrs away from baby. 

Do you get a lunch break? How about other breaks? You need a mere ten minutes start to finish, and you REALLY need to pump more often.

I am able to pump about 6oz at work.  I was getting able to get up to 8 or 9 at work.  I have been staying up late to pump again and can get another 6oz or so.  Unfortunately I went one day without pumping at work and not pumping at night for the next three nights so i'm down to 5oz at work and 4oz at night.  I know that this is great but my freezer supply is virtually gone because of the overfeeding.  Will fenugreek help me keep my supply up enough so I can pump once at work and once at night- but not too late (i'm getting very tired) and be able to support his needs AND increase my stock??

I really don't think so. You're not giving yourself enough stimulation, and fenugreek only works if you're nursing and/or pumping frequently.

You do need to force the issue and get more pumping time. If co-workers get smoke breaks, you get a pump break.

Again, you need a mere ten minutes. Get additional funnels for your pump, toss the dirties in a plastic bag and GO. Never wash anything at work.

(she already mentioned that maybe he needs cereal or one bottle of formula to supplement- she gave her babies formula and cereal at 3mo, so we will be having the "here's why this is our choice and it's not an option" talk tonight)

I'm actually a little more concerned about something you wrote above... she isn't listening as well? Or did you mean HEARING as well? Because that is a big concern. Keep in mind that as our parents age, their reach often is longer than their grasp... they can't do what they did before.

mom-lovingit
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting mom-lovingit:

She is getting her 2yr molars and we live on the thrid floor, near a very busy road so my mom doesn't take them out much.  I don't blame her- she isn't listening as well lately and she's probably afraid to be alone with the two of them outside so close to the road.

I'm actually a little more concerned about something you wrote above... she isn't listening as well? Or did you mean HEARING as well? Because that is a big concern. Keep in mind that as our parents age, their reach often is longer than their grasp... they can't do what they did before.

I wrote this fast, meant my dd isn't listening as well and my mom is fearful of having her run off and not listen to her.  I will fix that in the post with my update :o) Thanks so much for your advice!

mom-lovingit
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:47 PM

bump for update :o)

ooooocha
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:57 PM

I drink the mother's milk tea from GNC online and now I pump an entire days worth extra for the freezer every few days. Also make sure you have a good pump, a double medela or equivalent.

mom-lovingit
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Quoting ooooocha:

I drink the mother's milk tea from GNC online and now I pump an entire days worth extra for the freezer every few days. Also make sure you have a good pump, a double medela or equivalent.

I also do that and have an medela freestyle (couple years old now but still in great shape)  I was able to do the same with pumping however it also mean I stayed up till 11 or 12 at night (lol pumpin now ;O)  But that makes me so tired I am miserable, plus I went one day without pumping at work and 3 nights without and now I'm low again!

gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 1, 2010 at 1:23 AM

Quoting mom-lovingit:

**UPDATE**

So had the talk with my mom, told her all about how you can overfeed without knowing it because baby wants to suck and bottle+sucking=feeding.  She said that he is hungry- she tries to stretch him out but he gets fussy and unable to soothe.  Mind you he is a REALLY happy, mellow baby who is easily soothed so she may be right.  She tries not to just offer a bottle to get him to sleep befoe naps- usually he will fuss a bit and go down but when he's hungry he wont- then he'll usually take 4oz and zonk out.  She said that he will eat and eat but won't finish a bottle if he's not hungry, or he'll start to play with it.  She also said that the oz measurement is different than the bottle by about an oz less so he had about 16 oz while I was gone.

That really is a lot. And it sounds like hius tummy is stretched, so he's taking too much. Sort of like when my husband was convinced that less than a half gallon of ice cream a sitting wasn't enough.

She supports the reasons for not using formula or introducing solids however I know she thinks that intro cereal will help him stretch longer and use less milk during work.  What do you ladies think of cereal in that sense??  I understand that it is empty calories and solids are really just used for texture in the beginning.

Better to use formula than cereal, sorry.

For now I will go into work later and put him down for his first nap.  Pumping at work isn't an issue, it's just the stopping work part to do it.  My area is semi-private (but totally comfortable for me, seperated by a curtain) in a rehab gym- I have to finish treating before lunch is served, find a time where other's aren't treating when I'm treating during lunch (the inconsistancy of my pumping schedule also makes it difficult to find an office space.)  Plus it can take me 30 min or so- I am usually able to get a second let-down after 15 min or so and it takes another 10 to finish pumping then I have to clean up my area and open that end of the gym again. 

The second pumping would have to be at the end of the day and I don't know if it's better to pump before leaving (xtra 20min at work) or go home and feed him.??

I'd pump at the end of the day. It will increase your output and speed up your letdown. And there will be plenty for baby when you pick him up.

PLUS... pump one side while nursing the other every single morning. It take a bit of practice to learn but it makes a HUGE difference. It was imperative for me.

Thanks again for your support ladies!! 

gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 1, 2010 at 1:24 AM

Quoting mom-lovingit:

I wrote this fast, meant my dd isn't listening as well and my mom is fearful of having her run off and not listen to her.  I will fix that in the post with my update :o) Thanks so much for your advice!

AHHH! That does put it in a whole different light!

ooooocha
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 2:28 AM

I feel bad for you, because I know what it is like. I am exclusively pumping because my baby can't latch and it is miserable waking up at night to pump.  I bought this and it really helped me:

http://www.diapers.com/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=34614

I can prop myself up with pillows and set my alarm for 30 mins, and just fall asleep while pumping on low.  If you want to buy it you can use the code "XXXX9445" in the coupon code place when you check out to get 15% off.  Or on anything at diapers.com, but that is just what I got.  It helped me pump a little more actually, because I was constantly stressing and watching how much I was pumping while I was doing it and stressing while pumping is bad.  With that on, I just relax and read or go on the computer and I don't worry about how much is coming out and don't have to sit there and hold the shields.  I hope your situation gets better. Just don't give up and it will eventually get better again.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Sep. 1, 2010 at 7:09 AM

You have a few options..one of which is best option for babies health and the rest IMO compromise it...

Give set amount of bottles with set times, nurse on demand at home..baby has a stretched tummy so cut back gradually to 4 3 oz bottles..then do eith 4 2.5 oz bottles or 3 3oz bottles..baby needs 8-10 oz in your 8 hour day.

Solids will compromise virgin gut, raise risks of allergies, mean less BM taken over all,constipation...list goes on..including low weight gain

Formula means damaged digestive flora, less nutrients from your BM absorbed, raised risks of SIDS, diabetes, obesity, illnesses,  etc etc...including early weaning

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)