Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weaning by novmeber ...

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:43 PM
  • 18 Replies
okay, my daughter is 6 weeks old. I am going on a trip November 17th and want to not be breastfeeding. When should i start? I know they say to skip a feeding once a week? Do i replace it with formula? Im lost, i just dont know what to do..lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SullivanMommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Why are you wanting to wean due to a trip? Just curious. You can pump if BF'ing is an issue during it. Sorry i just want to understand why you have come to this question.

EWPhotography
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:50 PM
Im not a public breastfeeder. I dont want to have to deal with feeding her on the plane or even in an airport. Thats just not me. She will be 4 months old and im okay with that. I just dont know how to transition or when i should start to have her weaned by the middle of november.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SullivanMommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I have no clue. Ive never had to wean them. They have always just done it when they were ready. You could bottle feed her breastmilk if youre in public and dont want to nurse. I actually do that quite often. Especially at the kids soccer games etc. Id hate to see you quit and regret it later. Here's a bump maybe some mamas can help you. I hope you find an alternative though. Good luck :)

Quoting EWPhotography:

Im not a public breastfeeder. I dont want to have to deal with feeding her on the plane or even in an airport. Thats just not me. She will be 4 months old and im okay with that. I just dont know how to transition or when i should start to have her weaned by the middle of november.

Mom to 6 boys 1 girl and 1 on the way! Breastfeeding, Co- sleeping, Disposable diapering, Pro-Choice, Circumcising, Immunizing Mama.

militarymommy19
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Sorry..I don't have any advice. But I hope you find something that works for you.

gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Be aware that it's FAR EASIER to deal with anursing baby on a plane than a formula baby. Especially if something happens and you're stuck on the tarmac for hours (and that DOES happen).

If you really want to do this, start tomorrow. One feeding dropped per week till gone, replaced with formula. But establish that she will even TAKE the formula.

Also be aware that your favorite sleeveless shirt shorts more bosom than a breastfeeding mom ever does.

Quoting EWPhotography:

jessihernandez
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Sorry, I'm not much help either. I plan on letting her self-wean. As PPs suggested, you could pump and bottlefeed on your trip.

On a slightly connected thought, I was uncomfortable BFing in public at first too. So, I practiced in front of a mirror until I was sure I could do it without showing ANYTHING (just my own issues). You could try that if it's an option for you. I don't want to seem like I'm trying to change your mind, I just want to be sure you wean for the right reasons. I would hate for you to regret it later as the benefits of BFing to both her and you will continue if you go past 4 months.

mom-lovingit
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Like the other responses, start now, droping a feeding- replaced with formula.  I wasn't a comfortable public-nurser either however using a cover helped me :o)  they have apron style covers and ponchos that cover everything. 

Rayawni
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:46 AM

You really sure you want to quit so soon? Any way you can pump before going places and giving her a bottle or maybe exclusively pumping and giving bottles?? I nursed DD1 on a plane and let me tell you, she was out for the whole flight, hardly anyone is travling anymore and I just asked to sit in an entire empty row and no one saw me. The flight attendant walked by and smiled at me. It is getting better to NIP. Maybe practice like someone else suggested? I know you say you are ok with it but maybe we can explore all option before going that route and you maybe regretting not trying later.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

tyheamma
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Let me first say that even as a shy mama, I'd never recommend quitting before six months, and even that would be early. That said, I fully expect that you'll decide what's best for you and your daughter personally, and if that's weaning, then you'll wean.

I agree with drop a feeding per week and start soon. I also wanted to add that you should start with feedings right before bedtime or naptime since they are actually the hardest to wean. If you think you might resume breastfeeding when you get home, I would not drop nighttime or first morning feedings at all since those will be easier to work around a schedule on a trip and pump/nurse in private.

VintageWife
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 11:24 PM
:'-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)