Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

vyvanse(adhd med) and breastfeeding

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 11:30 PM
  • 6 Replies

My dr says it safe to use while breastfeeding but im not sure how i feel about it. I have tired looking it up on LACT MEDS and notthing comes up...when i google it little info comes up and of course their aren't that many studies on it either...so im not sure if i should risk it...i plan on breastfeeding for at least a year and don't wanna risk it but at the same time i feel like i need something for my adhd any advice on what i should do or anyone take any meds for adhd while breastfeeding and if so what do you take and what is your experience with it.

by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ecodani
by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 11:36 PM
Have you looked into diet for ADHD control? Some people find that food dyes, preservatives, gluten, etc are the triggers of ADHD and they can go med free with diet change.
gr8momto4
by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 11:39 PM

I found this on http://www.webmd.com/ This is the 3rd website that I've looked at that it doesn't appear to be safe.

This medication passes into breast milk and could have undesirable effects on a nursing infant. Therefore, breast-feeding is not recommended while using this drug. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-148324-Vyvanse+Oral.aspx?drugid=148324&drugname=Vyvanse+Oral&source=2

robin1725
by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 11:39 PM

I'm having the same problems. I wish I could take aderall (heard it's amazing for ADD). I just can't focus but that drug gets into your milk so I won't risk it. Here's a bump....I'm interested to hear the replies to this post.

CafeMom Tickers

hopinforanother
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Ask your doctor to give you a drug that has under gone a longer study period. Vyvanse is really new and not thoroughly studied...IMO.

You can also talk to a naturopath. I was going to get on a stimulant but decided to go the natural route. It turns out I needed thyroid and adrenal support. I was NOT a believer but I decided to give it a shot. I'm telling you...taking certain supplements like pig thyroid, iodine, B vitamins, and fish oil has helped me tremendously.

Also, It's a good idea to read a book called Healing ADD by Dr. Amen. He explains the various types of ADD and gives natural solutions. It's important that  people with ADD limit the television and computer and eat a highprotein diet. Plus it helps to exercise because exercise increases blood flow to the brain.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 14, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Vyvanse is so new I don't think I'd take it even when NOT breastfeeding. The FDA's track record on drug approval is pretty stinky. It's not in Lact-Med, and that and Hales' are the go-to resources.

I would indeed try dietary control FIRST; it can be very effective.

Hottubgodess
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Quoting ecodani:

Have you looked into diet for ADHD control? Some people find that food dyes, preservatives, gluten, etc are the triggers of ADHD and they can go med free with diet change.

I agree - food sensitivities have been highly linked to ADD/ADHD

As for Dr Hale's info:

Dextroamphetamine (Vyvanse) L3 Moderately Safe in Clinical Doses, L5 (Contraindicated) if Abused- AAP Comments - Drugs of abuse for which adverse effects have been reported.

Pediatric Concerns - Possible insomnia, irritability, anorexia, reduced weight gain, poor sleeping patterns in infants.  However in these studies, none of the infants were affected. 

Alternatives - Methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta are a few of the trade names).  L3 Moderately Safe.  No pediatric concerns in 2 infants, but observe for stimulation, insomnia, reduced weight gain. 

HTH.

Medications and Mother's Milk - Group Owner  

Are you tired of BAD Breastfeeding information?  Go to www.llli.org and search the resources for REAL CORRECT info. 

I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam ...... Thank you Popeye!   BEHOLD!  THE POWER OF BREASTMILK!!!   Proud momma of two self weaning, extended breastfed preemie boys!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN