• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else ever heard sayings like this?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:31 AM
  • 7 Replies

My great-grandmother was from back before the 'Formula Age'.  She once told me that if you let milk stay in the breast for too long in the first few weeks after your baby is born, that it will clabber and make you sick, so you have to get it out as much and as frequently as possible.  This sound like good advice to anyone else?  Has anyone else ever heard any sayings from the pre-formula generation?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Krysta622
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:33 AM

No LOL.  Does clabber mean the same thing as curdle?  If you don't nurse/pump for a long period of time, it's possible that it can lead to clogged ducts and mastitis, but that's not exactly the same thing your grandmother is saying.

sweetashyb
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:46 AM

In theory, yes, its good advice...you *do* need to feed frequently. But its not because your milk will clabber or spoil, its because if you get really engorged and skip feedings, its uncomfortable and can cause clogged ducts and/or mastitis.

I had a little old lady at church notice that I got sunburned on my chest (well, everywhere, but she just noticed my chest lol) and she told me that I couldn't nurse baby while I was sunburned like that because the extra heat would spoil my milk and make the baby sick.

And one that was great and I actually agreed with....I stay in the nursery at church with my kiddos when they're little and we have volunteers in there (all pre-screened, background checks, etc by the church). A couple other younger moms had babies around the same time as me and were talking about constantly crabby babies and scheduling one day--one of the moms was formula feeding and the other was breastfeeding...the formula feeding mom said something about loving giving bottles because she didn't have to be "available" all the time and told the other nursing mom who was complaining about not getting sleep that she needed to start scheduling her feedings & "teaching that baby when its allowed to eat" :(  The BF'ing mom agreed & said she'd been trying to force a schedule and the whole time they were both looking at me while I was nursing my *then* 6-ish month old for the 2nd time while down there. Past experience at church has led to me just steering clear of those conversations...but a different little old lady that was volunteering in there spoke up and said "what is wrong with you girls? not wanting to feed your baby because its not convenient to you and because you want sleep? you have a baby...you're not sleeping again for the next 18 years!! you never schedule that baby regardless of what you're feeding...they're crying because they want something & from what I'm hearing its probably because you're too concerned with yourself than to feed your babies when they're hungry. Shame on you!!"  They were both mortified & I could tell the comment kind of pissed them both off because they got a little huffy and left, but I was trying so hard not to laugh the entire time and was thanking her for speaking up as soon as they left :)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:57 AM

If you do not nurse enough you can get clogged ducts and an infection do in a way shes right.

LorisChar
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:02 AM

My husbands grandmother told me the same thing, that I needed to nurse baby often or my milk will make me sick if it stays "in me" too long. I asked her why and she told me cause it happened to her and her doctor told her that her milk soured and she couldnt' nurse anymore. From what she explained, she just had clogged milk ducts, but back then they didn't know what it was  :(   Her doc "prescribed" her to feed the baby goats milk and hand express until she "dried" up  :(   SOOO sad.

My father in law was here visiting a couple weeks ago and he was worried at how little solids the baby gets (he had just turned 10 months old ). We give him a jar of meats and a fruit or veggie at dinner time, the rest of hte time he nurses. He'll also get Cheerios as a "snack" every now and then.  Well, my fil tells me that he NEEDS to be getting more food now because of his age. When I asked him why, he told me because there really isnt' any nutrition in my breastmilk for him now. That now it's more of a "drink" for him, not nurtrition.

It's amazing what people beleive and will tell you.

Gecko85
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:03 AM

I have not heard saying, but no, milk will not go bad in your breasts.

SamNStefanMommy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:07 AM
I was told something similar to PP with the sunburn. Apparently you are not supposed to nurse on hot days because baby will only get spoiled milk. Pretty sure they need EXTRA fluids when its hot out and not less.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Misty14
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Where we live, formula came very late, it's only been being used for about a generation, so there was no 'prescribing' formula or anything.  We didn't even get a hospital of any kind until nearly the seventies.  I think my great-grandmother's advice about the milk staying in too long and making you sick makes perfect sense considering if you don't nurse enough in the beginning you can more easily get plugged ducts and the dreaded mastitis.  'Clabbering' (at least in local old folks speak) refers to clogging.  I keep forgetting that the old timers around here practically had their own language. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)