Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BFing and sick?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:01 AM
  • 5 Replies

So yesterday I came down with a fever of 102 out of the blue...achy, chills, started feeling tender breasts again like engorgement was coming back.  I thought maybe mastitis, so I started pumping after nursing to make sure I was emptying out completely, and i just froze the milk. 

Well today I am still running a fever, but breasts feel fine... and I woke up to my 2 yr old throwing up everywhere... so now I am thinking we got hit by a hard case of the flu. 

SO... I am pretty sure it's ok for me to BF when I am sick.... and it won't make my LO sick... right?  He's only 11 days old, so I would really like for him to stay healthy as possible :S

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Nurse nurse nurse, you will give him immunities and antibodies to fight this flu better than if you FF him, either way he would be exposed...drink tons of water and nruse nurse nurse

petersgal
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:19 AM

thanks - I have been nursing him (or feeding him pumped milk) every 2 hours, so I will just continue with that schedule

MoonLover06
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:25 AM
You need to put him to the breast as much as possible. His saliva will tell your body which antibodies to produce. And if ge does get sick remember not to give home anything but BM. He doesn't need pedialyte or anything as long as your BFing on demand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Klynn-whitlow
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Yeah, i know its already been said... so really all i am doing is reassuring you. LOL. But when i was sick i called the advice nurse and asked... she told me to nurse as much as possible because i will have antibodies in my milk that will help keep my baby from getting sick.

tangerine11
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:03 AM

My dd is 8 months and I have been sick 3 times with a cold and once with the flu. My husband and I were both sick once at the same time, too.And I got a bad cold/cough a few days after she was born. She hasn't got sick once. I breastfeed her the whole time I'm sick and I am so happy she hasn't gotten sick yet. :)

I hope you feel better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)