Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my milk came in!!! :))))

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:10 AM
  • 8 Replies

i had my daughter sept 25th, and I woke up this morning and my breast were engorged. She is now latching right on to the nipple shield perfectly (weve had some issues) but now she is doing great. Im getting excited for her to be able to latch on with out the nipple shield. Im also pumping with and evenflo manual pump (pain in the butt, my hand gets tired so quick) Im going to get an electric one today, the laction consultant said the Medela one was the best. I just pumped 1/2oz on the right breast and going to try the left breast. I had a few questions tho.....

How long does breast milk stay at room temp. I pump what I can leave it out about 1 hr or a little more till my daughter is ready, I feed her what is in the bottle then put her to my breast.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
izzystardust
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:14 AM
up to ten hrs is what my storage bags say
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifetimelove
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:44 AM

well, it's fine up to 10 hours at room temperature.

But why are you offering the bottle BEFORE nursing?  That's going to add to your latching issues.  If supplementation is absolutely necessary (I.E. not enough diapers) then do so AFTER nursing, preferably with a syringe or cup, but a bottle if necessary.  The best way to improve latch issues is to not use bottles.

But YAY! on milk coming in!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:47 AM

THIS!!

Quoting lifetimelove:

well, it's fine up to 10 hours at room temperature.

But why are you offering the bottle BEFORE nursing?  That's going to add to your latching issues.  If supplementation is absolutely necessary (I.E. not enough diapers) then do so AFTER nursing, preferably with a syringe or cup, but a bottle if necessary.  The best way to improve latch issues is to not use bottles.

But YAY! on milk coming in!

Nobottles unless diapers are low, and never before nursing..always after if its needed using s syringe

gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Store what you pump. You may need that liquid gold later. Bottles given before nursing can negatively impact your supply. If you lactation consultant told you to do this, don't go back to her.

Bethbeth
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Put the milk you pump in the freezer for later (when you are away from your baby for a few hours). And nurse nurse nurse, so your body knows to keep making more milk!

Great job momma!

mama02040608
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Yes, always nurse before any supplements.  You're giving her essentially an entire meal before dinner :) Freeze that stuff!  One day you might actually get out of the house without her :)

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:14 PM

I agree with the other moms! Do not give a bottle especially if you were having latch issues to begin with. I had my son on the 19th and I get engorged as well (usually during the night or early morning). I only pump (or hand express) enough to relieve myself enough to get a good latch when you are engorged. But unless you are gong back to work of plan on leaving the baby there is really no need to pump. Definitely do not introduce a bottle!

catholicmamamia
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Ditto this!  :o) 

Quoting tabi_cat1023: THIS!! No bottles unless diapers are low, and never before nursing..always after if its needed using s syringe
Quoting lifetimelove: well, it's fine up to 10 hours at room temperature. But why are you offering the bottle BEFORE nursing?  That's going to add to your latching issues.  If supplementation is absolutely necessary (I.E. not enough diapers) then do so AFTER nursing, preferably with a syringe or cup, but a bottle if necessary.  The best way to improve latch issues is to not use bottles. But YAY! on milk coming in!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)