Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Easy or Hard?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:23 PM
  • 16 Replies

Question: Did you have trouble Breast feeding at first?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 41

View Results

I know I struggled TERRIBLY in the beginning with breast feeding my DD. I had no idea what I was doing and neither did she. However, we stuck it out and now she feeds like a champ!

I just remember being so overwhelmed at first and crying thinking that she was going to starve!

My sister went through the same thing at first, but a friend of mine had NO issues breast feeding!

They make is sound like it should just come natural to everyone... So I'm curious to see how many REALLY did have issues with it at first! I bet its a lot more then people realize! Which is a shame b//c if people knew they weren't the only ones having problems, they would feel so much more relaxed and probably stick it out!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:31 PM

i didnt vote because with my first i struggled and in the end was not able to BF, lack of knowledge and bad advice and a HORRIBLE nurse in the hospital who scared my son and hurt me physically (and they forced bottles on me cuz of his blood sugar)..but with my second i knew what i was doing thanx to educating myself and didnt have any problems at first (i did have an over supply and OAL but i dont count those as problems) problems started after i got pregnant when my son was 9-10months old. supply issues and him self weaning..but other than that we didnt really have any real problems..

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:32 PM

We didnt have any real struggles, compared to many posts I've seen here. I didnt know what I was doing, I was scared, I was overwhelmed and it freaking HURT. Oh, and I thought I had to time everything. OMG was that a PITA. But i would imagine I would have felt most of those things, bringing home my first child regardless of feeding method. And by about the 4 or 5th week I was doing much bette. (got rid of that stupid time tracker thingy they made me use in the hospital. ~ That helped IMMENSLY)

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Yes with my daughter, no with my son.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:38 PM

I was blessed with both babies that it came to both them and I very naturally, I feel for the mothers that have a difficult time, I can only imagine that it must be so troublesome on top of all other million things changing with your body and emotions to also have to deal with a difficult time getting the hang of breastfeeding.

Hopefully as more and more people and facilities become better aware of the benefits of breastfeeding, there will be more truly helpful and knowledgeable Lactation experts available to assist new mothers.

by Group Admin -Tabitha on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:38 PM

I have not had issues with starting with any of my kids, my older 2 I had to force their mouths open to latch but really it wasn't so bad.  Its the misinfo and help when times got tough otherwise that was MY issues.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:42 PM

I had no trouble at all with my 1st two kids.   I recently had my 3rd though and this one is a challenge!  She doesn't latch properly and it hurts a lot.  We are struggling and I think if she was my 1st experience I would've probably given up by now, but since I know it can be good I am still going.

On a side note, everything I read and heard before I had my 1st dd was that bf wouldn't hurt your nipples if the baby is latching properly.  That is a load of crap if you ask me.  It hurts even when they are latching properly.  It definitely hurts a lot MORE when they don't latch right, but I think it takes a few weeks to toughen everything up.

by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:45 PM

With my son, yes. It KILLED to nurse him. He wasn't sucking the right way and was more chomping then sucking. I also thought "this is supposed to hurt" so when he latched wrong, I just went with it because he had latched and that was good enough for me.

With my second I knew how to nurse, I knew what was right and what wasn't and I was never sore with her, the worst part was the uterine cramps the first few weeks.

by Celeste on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:46 PM

I wasn't sure how to vote. My first daughter, I didn't have many problems besides being my first child and not knowing what I was doing.

My twin boys were a bit of a different story. They were 6 weeks early, we had weight gain issues and nipple confusion. Fortunately, we worked through them.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:48 PM

I got lucky with DS either that or I just had the patience for it.  No big issues until I got pregnant...I don't have much milk left but I still nurse.  Hopefully #3 will never know the taste of formula.  DD on the other hand...I just didn't know what I was doing.  I threw in the towel at 3 months with her.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:55 PM
I did not have issues but My mom tried to project issues on to me about it. She FF all of her kids so she said really dumb stuff to me about BFing. I read Karen Pryor's book "nursing your infant" while I was pregnant. I think that really helped. And I also decided from the beginning not to give a crap what anyone said to me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)